A little help with track times...

Reaction score
shiftin a little higher in the powerband would help most likely, that and not granny shiftin

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
xsoutherngun89x said:
shiftin a little higher in the powerband would help most likely, that and not granny shiftin

could try this..but these types of things you need to try out for yourself.

Try shifting a little higher and see if you run any faster.

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
cepowers18 said:
All I was really asking is, as my car sits right now, what should I do differently to better my times? Should I be shifting higher? Should I power shift? Do my times seem about right for my setup?

If you have T5 you should't be power shifting it. Some do and dont have issues others are not so lucky. Would I chance it? No I wouldn't. As far as where to shift where is your peak power at? If you had the car dynoed you can see where the best point to shift would be. Generally its higher in the RPM's but being that your mostly stock your power will drop off before that. The one thing that really will drop your times is the one thing you dont seem to concerned about and thats your 60' time. Your doing good for street tires but you wont get any better that where your at. As far as your set up you seem to be running what you should be for the most part, being that the track conditions and driver error or lack there of is not information that is readily available. You have your rear end all set up for better then street tires. Stick as set of MT ET streets on there if you want to drop your times further.

OP
OP
C

cepowers18

Reaction score
Yeah, I setup my rear end like that on purpose b/c I knew that eventually I would do drag/street radials or slicks. Like I said, that will come later in my plans. Hence, why I'm not too concerned with my 60' time at this moment.

Obviously I could get the car dynoed and find out the exact point at which I should shift, but I was just trying to get some input from everyone to find out where they are shifting with a similar car and/or setup. I'll try shifting a little higher next time and compare.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
A dyno is a waste of money, and can pay for a lot of trips to the track.

Go to the track, write down all the pertinent variables likes weather conditions, tire pressure, launch RPM, etc, etc. Practice practice practice. Change one thing at a time and see what the impact is.

Only drive as fast as you can afford to break stuff. Powershifting your T5 could certainly result in catastrophic failure and should be taken into account.

My suggestions are simply this.

1. Get practice and get consistent.
2. Try different launch RPMs and tire pressures.
3. If you like unhook the front swaybar.
4. Get slicks.

Doing that will certainly help lower your times - especially #1.

Paul.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Paul said:

Go to the track, write down all the pertinent variables likes weather conditions, tire pressure, launch RPM, etc, etc. Practice practice practice. Change one thing at a time and see what the impact is.

Only drive as fast as you can afford to break stuff. Powershifting your T5 could certainly result in catastrophic failure and should be taken into account.

4. Get slicks.

Paul.

dynos arent a waste of money...theyre cool! haha

I want to get my car dynod just for the hell of it

OP
OP
C

cepowers18

Reaction score
Paul said:

4. Get slicks.

Paul.

Good advice. Thanks, Paul.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
justinschmidt1 said:
dynos arent a waste of money...theyre cool! haha

I want to get my car dynod just for the hell of it

Dynos are neat, but it's stupid to say people should dyno their car before going to the track. What ever did people do before dynos? Your time is better spent at the track than on a steel roller.

You can't race a dyno.

Paul.

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
Dyno's are a good way of seeing how your car preforms under load and if there are hiccups in your RPM range and if your running to rich or to lean. If your running rich you can lean it out and get some more power out of the car. Dyno's are not a must for getting better at the track but its a good tool to use. One of the main things that will drop your times is just more practice. More you go the better you will get at it. The hardest thing about narrowing down what makes you faster is the consistent factor. Dont change multiple things at once. On one run try a different shift point, next run try tire PSI or launch RPM. Dont try to many different things at once b/c you wont know what made your time better or worse. Try and make your next run as close as your last run to try and stay consistent except for the variable you are trying out.

MikeF

Reaction score
im getting a set of fact v6 15'' and going to order some 26''x10.5 et streets.total cost about 420$.thats if i dont find some used slicks or dr for the weekend.remove my front sway bar,rear seat,pass seat(i travel to the track alone) ,spare tire ,jack,other misc...I would like to get my little motor in the high 10 second range and if its 10.99.9 that ok.Its still a 10 second car lol.then hello 427sbf with 15 pounds boost.I already have a good complete 1969 351w.but without traction im not going hurt a motor any longer.like the old man told me spinnin aint winning. :boxing: :violent1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online