Aerocatch install pics?

joemomma

Reaction score
In light of the recent hood fly up that was posted, it got me thinking about Aerocatch latches since i run an aftermarket fiberglass hood. I know a bunch of you guys run them...looking for pics of the install (specifically the underside of the hood). I've watched a couple of videos and the dudes cut a huge hole on the underside - is that necessary?

badass98svt

Reaction score
Any reason why you are going with the Aerocatch over Quik-Latch? The Aero requires a massive oblong hole to be cut in the hood, and is made of mostly plastic from the ones that I have personally seen.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Any reason why you are going with the Aerocatch over Quik-Latch? The Aero requires a massive oblong hole to be cut in the hood, and is made of mostly plastic from the ones that I have personally seen.

I haven't looked at the Quick-Latch products, honestly. I should check them out, too. The Aeros have solid reviews.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
all you need to do to find the spot on the bottom of the hood is get your pins mounted, and put a dab of toothpaste on the tip and it will show you where to drill. Work from the bottom up and drill the hole and once you have the hole on the top then you can use the guide to get it in the right spot. IF you are using the top mount style you have some room for error just because the flange covers the hole. Now if you go with the completely flush style that mounts from the bottom then you need a perfectly cut hole. I actually made a wooden guide that I used so I could use my router to cut the hole and I am happy to say that it did come out perfect and the aerocatch could actually hold itself in place just by pressure, prior to adding the epoxy.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
What he said ^

I have some install pics in my build thread I’ll dig up.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Thanks White. Any pics from the bottom side? The videos I watched the dudes cut a giant hole on the bottom side of the hood.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if they have a big hole then then didn't quite get it right the first time. Like I said just a dab of toothpaste and then shut the hood so that it touches it and you know where to drill. Start small and you can always make it bigger and you can always make minor adjustments with the pins as well. For fiberglass/poly hoods like we have your better off using a small regular drill bit and then open it up with a stepper bit. If it still isn't bit enough, go one more step. Regular drill bits when they get big enough on that material can suddenly catch and end up tearing it a little further than the hole should be.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Right on. Seems they cut a large piece out of the bottom so they could hold the bottom part of the bracket while they put the screws in it. Seems like they didn't think it through after watching more videos.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I had to cut a large hole in the bottom of mine because it mounts from the bottom but I was actually able to smooth that piece I cut out back in to where you can't tell other than the small hole. There is a pocket in there that is the perfect size for it.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Mine isn’t perfect and the only picture I can find is the busted up side. My hood already had holes from a previous life but I had to drill a new one next to it.

Lol

E87F2ADA-E003-4C0B-B7DA-C4336F68A572.jpeg

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
No need for the huge hole on the bottom. Super glue the nuts into the flange that goes on the underside, then slip the flange in through the top hole. You have to get creative to hold it up and start the first screw, but after that’s it’s cake.

Grinch347

Reaction score
In light of the recent hood fly up that was posted, it got me thinking about Aerocatch latches since i run an aftermarket fiberglass hood. I know a bunch of you guys run them...looking for pics of the install (specifically the underside of the hood). I've watched a couple of videos and the dudes cut a huge hole on the underside - is that necessary?
With the AeroCatch pins, there is a small rubber washer that you trim down to support the hood. I used my stock hood bumper spots to mount the pins. After doing what those have mentions above (using a dab of grease on the top of the pin) I only made the hole on the underside of the hood big enough to clear the rubber washer. You can see the hole I have in mine.

Attachments

• 45B4BF83-4C2F-4F73-830E-59EA93B59F25.jpeg
    45B4BF83-4C2F-4F73-830E-59EA93B59F25.jpeg
    269 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online