Aftermarket Radiator w/ Dual Electric Fans or Stock Fan / Water Pump

WolfMxbee

Reaction score
I have been doing research lately and I want to go with an aftermarket mishimoto Radiator but I also want to run dual electric fans but if I go this route I do indeed have to add an electric water pump no? I have read a lot of different forums arguing about the reliability and performance of electric vs mechanical, I do want to go electrical but my question is, is there any electric water pumps that look better then the meziere water pump, or any other options out there, theoretically could I take off the pully and find one of same size and adapt it? Is a electric pump and Someone also mentioned it was not ideal for the street.. is this due to that the pump will exceed certain levels depending on engine load.. higher rpms.. faster belt driven.. slower rpm... slower the belt turns the water pump

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
no you do not need to add an electric pump. The reason electric is not as reliable is just because any electric motor has a limited life that they normally test for and give a number saying it should last xxxxxx long. A mechanical pump does not have the extra moving parts so there for = more reliable. Yes heat can help to wear one down faster but where it is located is just a not part of the block. I am not sure which pumps might look better simply because looking good/bad is subjective and I have no idea what your tastes are. I am running a meziere but mainly because a good deal on a polished unit came my way when I was assembling the motor so I took it.

The only real advantage you get with the electric other then freeing up power is that you can wire it up to a switch so if you want to cool down the motor with out running the car you can wire it up to the fan/pump and cool the car between runs. Otherwise your going to nearly triple the price of a stock pump and at the same time limit how long it will last compared to a traditional pump in the search for a few(I think I have heard it can free up 10 hp or so?)

OP
OP
W

WolfMxbee

Reaction score
I do plan on wiring it to a switch manually because it's mainly going to be a drift setup but as well as a daily driver, and I just assumed you can't used the stock pump cause doesn't it connect to the fan

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
what year/motor is this going in? I am not sure what you mean by the pump connected to the fan...

You will either need to get a high current switch or use a relay off of the switch to supply power to the fan. Most of the fans are capable of drawing 20 amps and most switches are not.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juan4480

Members online