Radiator Fan Help

BillG

Reaction score
OK Folks been awhile since I've posted but I have this issue. I have a 95 Convertible 5.0. I dove it to a friends house to work on there brother in laws 65 convertible to get it running. Top down engine temps barely in the normal bracket. Running a low temp thermostat. Left from working on the car put the top up and turned on AC. Temps still fine AC good and cold no issues. Got out of the car and it smelled like the engine got hot. Next morning jumped in the car went down the road and temps jumped right up to the middle of the gauge that its never done but stayed there and i smelled the smell the smell of a hot motor. Got it home temps never got out of the normal area. Let i cool down and grabbed my OB1 Tester and plugged it in and on. The fans normally come on during the test and they didnt this time. I started car and put AC on High and no fan action. Im thinking the fan is cooked. My question is has anyone used an LMR replacement fan and have they had any issues doing so or do I just need to call my Mustang Salvage guys in Ga and order one of there salvaged ones.mustang 2.jpg

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
You could unplug the fan connector and (very carefully) take some 10 ga or thicker wire, strip some insulation off either end, and jump the fan directly to a battery. That way you'll know for sure if it's the ECU/CCRM or the fan itself. Pretty easy to do and only takes a few minutes.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Never once had that problem on my '96. Maybe it's because I never had a grounding issue anywhere in the car.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Never once had that problem on my '96. Maybe it's because I never had a grounding issue anywhere in the car.
I don’t think it’s a grounding issue in the car. I think it’s more of the fan connector losing pin tension over time. When my car was stock and 150k ish miles, my fan quit working. I had to shove a piece of cardboard beside the connector to have it make contact and get me home.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Yea, maybe it was arcing that caused it. 14v @ 60A is quite a bit of juice.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
i remember there being a recall back in the day for the cooling fan circuit
because of grounding issues i grounded mine with pretty thick cable from bat to chassis and harness grounds

Wmac

Reaction score
There was a recall in 2001 for all 95 Mustangs and Taurus/Sables. Fan motor bearing seizing.

As mentioned, check the wiring connector (charring/melting) at the fan.

All GT's have a 2 speed fan, apparently VDO is the only one that is 2 speed. Check RockAuto for VDO/Continental # PM9007.

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
Well got the motor out and gater clipped power to the fan and oh my lord. It made the worse sound spinning. Sounded like rolling rocks. Then black powder came out on the floor and the smell. So ordered one from my Ga salvage yard since none of the mustang yards up here in NC have anymore V8 parts cars of this year anymore. Now off to the next headache the drivers side quarter glass track with chewed gears.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Good hunting. Seems none of the resto sites provide only fan motors anymore, you have to buy the whole fan assembly including the shroud.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online

No members online now.