Anyone know ?

snwill95

Reaction score
Dose anyone know about setting the valves on some tfs 170 with 6.5 proform rockers

Chip66

Reaction score
Dose anyone know about setting the valves on some tfs 170 with 6.5 proform rockers

I assume you are talking about preload on hydraulic lifters.

There are tons of videos out there, but the short story is:
1. For each cylinder, rotate the crank so both valves are on the base circle. TDC on the compression stroke will guarantee this.
2. Tighten the rocker just until the pushrod doesn't spin freely.
3. Turn 1/4 turn more.
4. Lock the pollock down.
5. Move to the next cylinder in the firing order.

-Chip

Randall Garner

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My first question. Are you attempting to reuse your stock push rods. Most every aftermarket head will require a unique length rod to ensure the rocker sits center on the valve and to ensure the rocker rides true. Other than that what was already said is correct. Unless you change cam and lifters also. Then your lifter info should of given a preload requirement.

Randall Garner

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ok so as long as the rockers ride in the center of the Valve stem then. As described. Compression strike. Hand tighten rocker nut. While turning pushrod with fingers. Use only light pressure while turning. Once you get push rod to stop turning. Then give your nut 1/4 turn and lock the nut. Continue. Going in firing order. Now. If you have a old set of steel valve you don’t care about, cut open the top about 2” open inside center. Then you can sit them on start the car. Allow it to warm up. If ya hear clicking you have a loose rocker. You can then loosen one rocker at a time. Back off until you hear clicking which is lose. Then tighten. Slowly just til that rocker is quite. Then move on til all are just quite. That will give you a good setting. Should not need to adjust. Anything. For a long time.

OP
OP
snwill95

snwill95

Reaction score
Thank you sir I will give this a try an see if I can’t get it right this time

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas