AODE question?

optionizerSS

Reaction score
In the process of installing a shift kit and have a question. Trans was rebuilt about 12,000 miles ago before we bought it. Only found that out cause we found the receipt.
So pulled the 1-2 accumulator and there is only 1 spring (white) but there were also 2 'washers/spacers' on top of the spring. Are these supposed to be in there or was this some type of modification to add spring pressure? If so I won't put them back in.

P.S.-there was no spring on top of the accumulator, only the white spring between the accumulator and cover
1-2 accumulator.jpg

Rod

Reaction score
I'm sorry I do not have an answer to your spring question, it has been too may years since I did my shift kit. But I hope the kit you bought supplied a steel accumulator piston. That aluminium one was part of a service bulletin and was replaced with steel due to scoring of the piston and bore. If it did not come with one please pick one up.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Yeah my trans was rebuilt a few years ago so I assumed it had been replaced but it wasn't. Ordered a steel piston the other day so waiting for it to come in. Supposed to be here tomorrow

Wmac

Reaction score
Should replace the 2/3 accumulator at the same time. It's above the valve body, no tension as there shouldn't be a spring in it.

If the shifts were some what crisp, I'd consider leaving in the white spring. Jmod suggest blue spring in the top only.

In stock form, all shifts are very soft, slow and mushy.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
im looking at my B&M shift kit manual
and in the break down it dose not show the 2 washers
i dont know why you would have them
and these transmissions are all the same from factory

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Thanks. Shifts weren't crisp at all. Shifted like a Cadillac...lol.
I'm guessing the shop that rebuilt the trans likely added these washers then. There was 1 or 2 other things that didn't seem to be factory based on my research so thinking this shop had their own 'mods' that they did. I'm going to go by the TransGo instructions and use the springs they suggest and leave the spacers out. New accumulator piston is supposed to be here today so should have it all put back together tonight.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Got it all done but have a few questions...

Finished it up by following the instructions in the TransGo kit and replaced the aluminum 1-2 accumulator with a brand new steel one. Installed the '#2' level kit. Kind of right in the middle of the road as far as the firmness they offered. Added 8 quarts of trans fluid (STP Mercon V), started it up still on jackstands and went through the gears. Shut it off and checked the fluid levels (didn't drain) the convertor as there was only 12,000 mles on this rebuild and old fluid still looked new. Took it around the block and it was chattering when I would stop and the upshifts were awful. Added another 1/2 quart of fluid and it was working perfect. I couldn't check the levels as it was a little dark and I was at Auto Zone. On top of that it was hard to read the dipstick so wasn't sure where it was before that only knowing it was low.
So drove about 20 miles to go eat and it was perfect. Shut the car off then about 45 minutes later went to leave and it started acting up again. No shuttering but it was shifting at very low RPM's (1500ish) and the shifts were awkward. Can't really describe it but almost like it lost RPM then shifted. It had been doing that earlier too but it was much worse before I added the trans fluid.
So got home and checked the levels again and with the car hot and engine off it was reading right at the middle of the HOT level on the dipstick. I added about 8 or so ounces but did not go back out after that.
So am I checking it correctly? Engine hot and turned off? Any other thoughts?
Wife hates it and wants to sell it now so I need to fix this fast...lol.
Based on what fixed it earlier I'm thinking it's a fluid related issue? Too low maybe?
Oh...I replaced the filter too

Rod

Reaction score
Trans dipsticks are measured with trans at operating temp, in park, level ground, and engine at idle.
I used Transgo in mine too. Went with the full hard settings though. Over 300,000 miles and very little grime in the pan from wear when i do services.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Trans dipsticks are measured with trans at operating temp, in park, level ground, and engine at idle.
I used Transgo in mine too. Went with the full hard settings though. Over 300,000 miles and very little grime in the pan from wear when i do services.
I had always checked mine running and at operating temp but the TransGo instructions said to check it with engine off so wasn't sure. I'm very happy with how it shifted right after I added fluid but then after we left from eating it wasn't quite as good. Gonna check it again tomorrow with it running. Hopefully the fluid level is the issue and I can get it back to how it was.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Here is a short clip of what it’s doing. Fluid looks to be full now.
Hard to hear it in the video but its like a 'lunging' when it shifts. If i'm harder on the gas it shifts better. Not sure what the noise is.

Thanks!

Rod

Reaction score
Did you have the trans out of the car? I ask because the sound I'm hearing sounds like a broken or bound up flex plate. If you did have the trans out did you know the torque converter has a 2 step seating process, not 1. If you did it while the trans was still installed I recommend going through the process again to see if you missed something or put something in the wrong place.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Did you have the trans out of the car? I ask because the sound I'm hearing sounds like a broken or bound up flex plate. If you did have the trans out did you know the torque converter has a 2 step seating process, not 1. If you did it while the trans was still installed I recommend going through the process again to see if you missed something or put something in the wrong place.
I did not remove the trans so that shouldn't be the noise. Only dropped the valve body

Rod

Reaction score
Ok, then yeah I would go back through and do it over to make sure everything is where it should be. Outside of that I'm out ideas what's going on. If doing it again gets the same results I think you should find a trans shop to get it diagnosed.

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
I did not drain the convertor but have added 10 qts. Seems like alot? It isn't leaking. Just wondering if it is too full? Hard to read the dipstick but looks to me like it's at a good level

OP
OP
O

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Dunno. I'm lost.
Took it for another drive and I had the symptoms backwards. It upshifts then it bogs. Earlier I said it bogs then shifts

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online