AutoX Tips?

02GT

Reaction score
Ok I have never attempted autocross before but I have seen a few events coming up this summer and one at mustang week and figured id give it a go. Anybody have any tips for first timers?

RichV

Reaction score
Be smooth, don't jerk the wheel or throttle. Easy on the clutch and throttle application. Smooth = Fast.

RichV

Reaction score
Oh, and don't hit the cones. :)

Slykin

Reaction score
As said already, smooth is fast. If it feels really hectic, you're probably going slow. The biggest problems these cars have is understeer, so try not to barrel into the corners too hard or you'll waste a lot of time going where you don't want. Also watch for snap oversteer when you're close to the throttle... Don't worry too much though, it looks really intimidating seeing that maze of cones, but it's surprising easily to navigate the cones. Just have fun out there, it's not like you're going to win anything the first time out, plus you'll be in novice class.

Edit: Make sure your tires are up to pressure, and also make sure your coolant system's good. The first time I went I had coolant spitting everywhere. It can get your engine warm pretty fast.

OP
OP

02GT

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips, it honestly is really scary looking with that maze of cones out there haha.

Slykin

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips, it honestly is really scary looking with that maze of cones out there haha.

No problem man! I do suggest riding with an experienced AutoX'er before going on your first run though. Usually if you're a novice they will find someone for you to ride with if you ask. I HIGHLY suggest it. Plus, you might be lucky like me and get to ride in a 505HP Z06 with R-Compounds..

Monsterbishi

Reaction score
If your wheels have center caps, take them off, depending on the local rules they may not be allowed for safety concerns.

Stick a set of spare front brake pads in your gear bag.

We have modified our handbrake to fly-off (disabled the ratchet mechanism) - makes brake turns easier, another way to do it is to tape the handbrake button down :)

When doing the aforementioned handbrake turn, don't forget to hit the clutch pedal or you'll just understeer right off the course!

Make sure you don't stall at the finish, over here that means points off.

If you have access to at least two spare tyres, take 'em

There's plenty more tips, but realisticly, relax, have fun!

And yes, when you're lined up for the first time, your bladder will want to empty itself, but that sensation will pass when the timer starts! (Or you'll wet yourself...)

95MustangGT

Reaction score
Just have fun and don't try to over drive the car. We usually got 3-5 runs per group, depending on how many people were there. Use the first run to get a good idea of the course, from the driver seat. Then see if you can improve your time. The walkthrough will give you a good idea of the layout, but it looks completly different once your in the car behind the steering wheel. Good luck!

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Just have fun. Pump your tires up, get some advice on how to adjust it once you're out there to make it do more like what you want but seriously, don't worry about it. I go out, I beat the tar out of my car, learn how to drive it better, and usually come in close to last place and I'm A-OK with that.

RichV

Reaction score
I just read a thing on auto-x driving and one of the big time mistakes is the launch. The tip is to launch like at a drag strip, don't just burn the tires. A lof of guys at the RMMR auto-x I did a few years back would just burn the tires off the start, apparently you will burn anywhere from 1-2 seconds doing that which is huge in auto-x. And there is no making it up through the course.

Learn the apexes and use all the track.

auto_x5.0

Reaction score
Most people have stated the obvious, remove all lose parts from your interior, take cd cases out of your console lol I left some in there and through tight turns they would clunk I thought I was hitting cones. Remove center caps, etc. Tire pressure should be around 40 in the front and mid 30s in the rear, that's what I run. Don't go out and buy super sticky tires, they cover up your mistakes. Do not coast at all, you either need to be on the brakes or on the gas at all times. Try to find a CG lock or a harness of some sort, you will find yourself trying to hold yourself still around fast corners in stock seats. Don't downshift unless you absolutely have to, on a average course most of it should be in 2nd gear. Smooth on the throttle, dont hammer down all the time.
Also, walk the course as many times as you can especially if there is a slalom that is choice, which is where you pick if you want to go at it from the left or the right. Ask to take ride-alongs with more experienced drivers, try to stick with RWD cars as they drive more of the line that you will. Just go have fun, don't be a jackass and try to slide or try to hit cones because course workers have to pick that shit up(usually me lol)

LilRoush

Reaction score
.... don't be a jackass and try to slide or try to hit cones because course workers have to pick that shit up(usually me lol)

This. It's not a drift event. There's nothing worse than having to wait b/c someone thought it was Fast and Furious play time and tried to slide around everywhere and all the cones need to be put back in place. Auto X is about making the car stick and pushing it around the cones.

ba#97

Reaction score
I'm going to disagree partially with the smooth is fast when it comes to autox....obviously don't jerk the wheel etc but autocross takes a lot of hard driving, hard braking, hard on the throttle (without spinning tires).

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
another way to put the smooth to be fast.. Be slow to be fast.

its a little nerv racking the first time. But just relax and enjoy yourself. Use your first time to get aquainted with how its run for next time. Bring an instructor along with you for the first run or 2 if you feel you need it.
And on the first run or 2 depending on how many your area gets to drive, dont try to get the fastest time. I know some people who will drive the first one actually quite slow, move a little faster in the 2nd and third. then be all out for runs 4-8

LilRoush

Reaction score
Nothing like the sound / smell of a cone stuck and dragging under your car. I still have the 1st one I half melted sitting in my car part pile somewhere.

3Dglasses

Reaction score
Most points have already been touched.
Walk the course, Get instructors to help you, smooth is fast, launch is important, so is finish, don't overdrive your front tires, find good lines and use them repeatedly. Eventually you will learn to use the weight transfer of your car to help you with traction, look farther ahead in the course, and adjust your tires pressures to maximize tire patch. But most of all, seat time is king! Enjoy yourself!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juan4480

Members online