Battery drain. :(

95-stang

Reaction score
I have seen so many threads on the web about this but with no positive results or conclusions.
Basically if i leave my Stang for about 3 days the car will barely turn over, if i use it on a daily basis [which i avoid during "gritting" weather] its fine.
I have disconnected the the battery earth lead and the drain is not extremely high but vanishes when i remove fuse number 8 inside the car i have used a multimeter to check this.
Btw i have:
Had about 4 batteries also tried BIG heavy duty batteries, they all run down if left a few days.
I have relocated the battery to the trunk, no change but it means all new earths , cable , no change even with large batteries or small stock ones.
New starter motor.
Changed the stereo, all the Mach system and amps were removed 2 years ago, no change.
Tried another alternator, but the output is fine on both, have the stock pulley on the alternator too.
I have removed trunk lamp, glove box lamp, tried disconnecting the clock, my visor lamps go off fine, as does the interior light, my car doesn't have an anti theft module fitted and the underhood lamp is also removed.
The only other internal accessory is a wideband gauge [goes off with igntion off] and a rear foglamp switch , which only comes on with the light switch when in the side lamp position.
Fuse 8 controls:
Chime for key in ignition [which i cant hear when removed]
Courtesy Lamps [interior light goes out as it should]
Engine Comp Lamp removed
Glove Comp Lamp removed
Power Mirrors
Radio MCM swapped out, no change
Instrument ClusterMCM
Clock [tried with this disconnected]
Trunk Lamp removed
Anti Theft [door open signal]
Although it would be best at an auto electricians [and i'm pretty handy usually] due to my location and lack of knowledge its a no go.<
HELP !!!! :)

sweet94GT

Reaction score
Mine has this issue, but it's my radiator fan relay box. The box is located on the bracket holding the top of the radiator. It's the one with the huge plug that screws in. It's in between the bracket and the fans themselves, on the passenger side

OP
OP

95-stang

Reaction score
Yep, even the one under the radio, is the radiator fan on that circuit by any chance?

Thanks for the replies btw.

sweet94GT

Reaction score
I'm not sure. But the problems you mentioned are my exact problems as well. I replaced my relay, but my battery was shot already. Been too lazy to get another one

Spitfire

Reaction score
Just for shits and giggles, try turning the key to the on positions a few times before starting, to build pressure in your fuel lines. Mine loses pressure after a couple days of not driving it and this helps me get it started.

OP
OP

95-stang

Reaction score
There's no problem starting it if the battery is charged, and yeh this exact problem is all over the net, the Mach amps appear to be one drain, but i dont have them anymore.

RichV

Reaction score
I would take a multimeter, put it in the AMP setting, setup your leads. Remove the #8 Fuse, put the positive lead of the meter in the +12v slot of the fuse and the neg on the load side of the fuse. You should read the current that circuit is drawing. Now disconnect the loads you have stated and watch the meter, when you see a drastic change, there is your issue. Of course it could be something unrelated that was spliced into that circuit.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
never had one meaning you saw the empty space where it is not mounted or you have never had a key-fob in your hand?

OP
OP

95-stang

Reaction score
Sorry, no its never had a remote fob since i've owned it, there's a big empty space where the anti theft module should be in the trunk, the harness is there but no signs of it ever being fitted.
If it should have a remote fob how would i know, i've had it six years and it only came with 2 factory keys.

OP
OP

95-stang

Reaction score
Yeh its weird, like i said earlier there's a lot of posts about this on the web there must be something causing it. ;)

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
anyone have one of those links to those fancy manuals that show what circuit is on each fuse? We need to find out and then simply try disconnecting them one at a time.

OP
OP

95-stang

Reaction score
On mine i even removed the cig lighter from its holder, again nothing. :(

OP
OP

95-stang

Reaction score
Just an update, the biggest drain it seems was the cd\radio so i removed it, its started fine the last 7 days and its gotten cold and icy here. Hard to believe it could draw that much current.
What i dont get is its a year old Pioneer [nothing special] that was in my friends car [admittedly a much newer car] and it did no harm to his.
Puzzled a bit.

RichV

Reaction score
Probaly not installed right. I just installed a Pioneer in my Excursion. The important ones were YELLOW to constant positive, RED ignition switched positive, BLACK ground. Of course I used one of those harnesses that plugs into the Ford harness, it was already standard color-coded, even a monkey could have figured mine out.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if the car had a mach system, and still has the amps we have had more then a few issues with them not turning off. They are easy to bypass if they are still there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online