Battery drain

1slow50

Reaction score
Ok I have a serious batt drain. If I leave it hooked up for more then a hour my batt is dead. I have check the batt voltage its at 12.5 with engine off n 14.5 with engine running. What else can I check to see where the drain is coming from?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Pull the fuses one by one with the car off and put a voltmeter across them to find out which circuit(s) the drain is coming from. That will help narrow it down and we can go from there.

RichV

Reaction score
Do you have anything non factory in the electrical system?

Hockeyman48

Reaction score
The alternator may be draining the battery(bad diode bank internally).Test it/ or you can carefully remove the wire and leave it off overnite and see if that was your draw.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
deep is close and you might be able to solve it with a volt meter but an amp meter would be better suited. You will need to disconnect one side of the battery, set your multi-meter to I(amperage) and be sure that the red lead is in the correct spot(again with either an "I" or "current" next to it. Connect one side of the test lead to the disconnected batter terminal, and the other meter lead to the battery cable that was connected too it. Now the meter should start to read. All you need to do now is pull fuses one at a time till you see the current drop.

If you have the mach system the amps are known to go bad and stay on and create a load. If you do have them, disconnect them and see if it will start in an hour.

OP
OP
1slow50

1slow50

Reaction score
everything is stock, i do have the mach system, i hooked up the test light between the pos term n cable n the light came on n then started slowly going dim, i have to wait til my buddy to get home so i can start pulling fuses to see which 1 it is. what if i pull all the fuses n the light never goes out? or is that the only thing it could be? (the fuses)

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
a test light will work if its bright enough you can see it but yea a amp meter would be better. you did disconnect the battery though correct? When you pull the fuse that kills the circuit it should go out or very very dim. Before you even do this though if you have the mach system just reach into the trunk and disconnect the hrns's going to the amp and I will bet you dollars to donuts that it fixes it.

OP
OP
1slow50

1slow50

Reaction score
yea i do have a volt meter, i think the cables will be long enough to do it myself. i dont think the test light would work any ways cuz when i hooked it up it came on n then went really dim almost out

OP
OP
1slow50

1slow50

Reaction score
my alarm went off the other sday when i was working on it. the first time it has ever went off, i never even knew it worked. couldnt figure out how to turn it off.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
was it a horn honking or was it an aftermarket siren. Alarms do not like it when batteries get low....

OP
OP
1slow50

1slow50

Reaction score
It was the horn. I just did the test with the voltmeter n with all fuses in it read 0.12- 0.14. When I pulled fuse #8 it dropped to 0.04-0.05. That's the 1 for the hood n glove box. I had the hood up but no light in socket n unpluged. Would that still draw current from it? My glove box is messed up but it looks like sum1 unplugged it already.

OP
OP
1slow50

1slow50

Reaction score
quba8ehu.jpg

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
No bulb means no load, and no load means no draw.
I pulled the bulb from under my hood and trunk because I didn't want to kill the battery at car shows. You probably have some other problem with the wiring.

OP
OP
1slow50

1slow50

Reaction score
I tried the test light again just to see what it would do n it came on n dimmed til it went off. This still mean I have a draw from sum where?

OP
OP
1slow50

1slow50

Reaction score
What should the volt meter read if I don't have a draw

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members