boost or n/a?

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
thats the beaty of forced induction...

your car can sound stock and run like stock untill you floor it and youve got 15 pounds of boost and making 500 hp

compared to n/a car that has to run big cams and get like 5 mpg haha

nothing wrong with a n/a car but it seems like forced induction is a better way to go

Zwolaver21

Reaction score
jfor441 said:
blown97stanger said:
Whens this motor going to be finished? and do you plan on running nitrous?

Waiting on heads at the machine shop. It is race season so I don't know when i will get them back and yes i will be spraying a 200 shot at the track.

I noticed you are from Huntsville is R&R speed shop doing your machine work?

jfor441

Legend
Reaction score
Zwolaver21 said:
jfor441 said:
blown97stanger said:
Whens this motor going to be finished? and do you plan on running nitrous?

Waiting on heads at the machine shop. It is race season so I don't know when i will get them back and yes i will be spraying a 200 shot at the track.

I noticed you are from Huntsville is R&R speed shop doing your machine work?

Huntsville Engine did my block.

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
jfor441 said:
blown97stanger said:
I'm just going by the gains that i saw with some similar mods. I was at 203rwhp n/a with full bolt ons completely non pi. PI manifold added 20rwhp WITH A BLOWER. So say you see what, 10-15rwhp? Puts you in the 220rwhp range, being generous. So im just asking, you're trying to get 130rwhp with cams/heads?

Cams, heads and the one thing you are overlooking, compression

With my head cam combo, 100 hp gain is easily achieved. You add in compression that is a good 3 points higher than stock and that is gonna be roughly another 30 or so hp. Like I said earlier, my combo is not something that most folks would even consider streetable. It is gonna idle rough, my peak power is going to be around 7500 rpm's.

Josh is right. Cams and heads + compression= Good #'s n/a

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Id still love to see a 350+rwhp dyno sheet of your setup. Just hard to believe. Forged motor, bolt ons, PI manifold, and custom cams or whatever with p/p heads and high compression...

jfor441

Legend
Reaction score
blown97stanger said:
Id still love to see a 350+rwhp dyno sheet of your setup. Just hard to believe. Forged motor, bolt ons, PI manifold, and custom cams or whatever with p/p heads and high compression...

Not my setup but very similar. Difference is they are running less compression and running the Logan intake,

We think there is a market for high horsepower low maintenance naturally aspirated modular combinations. Something that say, a bracket racer or a modular muscle racer would be interested in. We started with the 2V because it is the cheapest and most plentiful modular engine, and the 2V guys seem to be the most willing to purchase heads, cams, and intakes (maybe because they have to). We know that our intake manifold works very well but there aren't any combinations out there that have been tailored to work with it specifically, until now. What we did is develop a head/cam combination that is well suited to the airflow aspects of our intake manifold. We also think that this market will want trouble free horsepower, so that ruled out excessive RPM and super huge cams. We have set this package up to be just as durable as the average head/cam 2V. The camshaft is not excessive, with lift at only .545 and the lobe only slightly more agressive than say, a Comp 278 grind. The heads are also different from the average ported PI heads, basically we profiled the port and chamber to be more effective above 6000 rpm. The engine tested here is stock displacement, to represent the worst case scenario power wise. The engine has alittle over 12:1 compression, and was tested on 100 octane Mobil.
2V_comparison.jpg

This is a comparison graph of a bone stock 5-speed PI GT to the engine mentioned above. I did this to give a referance point, as I have seen stock dyno pulls of PI GTs that claim 230 whp. On our dyno it made 203 rwhp and 259 lb-ft, so you can see it is conservative. Our engine combination made 376 whp and 339 lb-ft. Notice the large 1800 rpm spread between peak horsepower and peak torque, and the engine is still making 368 whp at 7500 rpm. It is also suprisingly strong in the low to middle RPM ranges, making 280 lb-ft by 3100 rpm. It is impressive that a head/cam/intake/exhaust package made 173 more whp and 80 more lb-ft without adding a single ci. The test car still had a stock crank damper, stock steel flywheel, stock T-45 trans, stock driveshaft, and stock 8.8 rearend with 4.30 gears. From a cost standpoint it really starts to bring into question the idea of building a 4V. Although this setup isn't really cheap, it's also much cheaper than doing a 4V. With the lack of good 4V intakes you wouldn't make much more power than this unless you went with an FR500 or a Sullivan, both of which require big RPM to make power. That means more breakage and more expensive valvetrain parts. Titanium locks and retainers for a 4V aren't cheap at all. Factor in the reduced weight on the nose of the car, lower center of gravity, and recuced repair costs and it starts to really make sense.

Also think about the performance potential. You are probably talking about 11.20's-11.30's in a decent 3000lb mustang, and probably high 10's in a well set up car. It also means that there is potential for well over 400 rwhp with more displacement and more aggressive cams. This is without resorting to expensive and rare SVO parts and without sacrificing durability. Hell, you could pedal it to the local cruise night on 93 octane if you just pull some timing out of it and don't beat on it (trust me, we did it).

xmikevankuikenx

Reaction score
I've never regretted my s/c install only at 7psi.

EDIT: Daaaanng. It would suck driving that ride on the street. Bad hp/tq curve until 2700 rpms.

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
xmikevankuikenx said:

EDIT: Daaaanng. It would suck driving that ride on the street. Bad hp/tq curve until 2700 rpms.

what's your mod list?!

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
aight, aight

N/A for 5.0s and F/I for 4.6 happy now? :hammer:

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
xmikevankuikenx said:

I agree with him..if you look at the graph the stock car makes more power/ torque untill like 2700.

I guess you could probably run some 4.10s/ 4.30s since that thing revs to 7k but still...how well does it accelerate on the street with little throttle?

I know my car feels sluggish on the street and doesnt seem to go anywhere without giving it some gas and getting into the power band.

Any idea what kind of gas mileage that thing would get?

would it get better gas mileage cruising since its making less power at like 2-2500?

You can always rev it a little but j/w.

Zwolaver21

Reaction score
350 HP sounds possible to me. What pistons do you plan on running with your setup?

xmikevankuikenx

Reaction score
my96gtstang said:
what's your mod list?!

Vortech V-2 supercharger (non-inter/aftercooled 7psi on the gauge)
Ford Racing SVO Heads
PI Intake
Comp Stage II Cams (non PI)
BBK Longtubes/Full exhaust
TB/Plenum/Plugs/Wires

xmikevankuikenx

Reaction score
Vortech = $3000 new (I pieced my own kit together with injectors+255 pump+lightning maf)
Heads = $675 new ebay
Intake = $100 used
Cams = $650ish with springs
Longtubes + Catted pipe = $800ish new
+ the small things

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgarR213

Members online