Cam postion sensor/ synconizer problems

Danny_svt_99

Reaction score
Hello guys, I know there are tons of threads with this issue but I have particular questions so don't with use the search bar, any way I have a 2003 3.8 v6 I was driving home from work and I was In traffic and then I had open so I accelerated to get ahead I hit like 60 mph and car shut off would not start. Had to tow it. The engine code is saying cam postion sensor so i swapped it and did nothing. Then I swapped the the synconizer and i can now get it to start but doesn't stay running and runs horrible extremely bad and. It honestly sounds like there's something going on in the driver's side head but I pulled the valve cover and the lifters spun freely and. All in all very clean, I had a hell of a time putting the synconizer in correct because I've read a 100 different things and they are all different I tried using the alignment tool and not useing it, I can't tell if I'm at 100 percent tdc, so I was going to pull the passenger side valve cover and watch the rockers but ethier way I can't be that far off but it runs like I'm way off it sounds like it is all out of time. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some tips on installing the syncro and also any other ideas what may be wrong with my motor I really want to get it running, I really wish it had a distributor it would make life way easier timing. But if you guys have any ideas what could be broke please let me know I'm almost wondering if it's a valve sticking or if a lifter bent slightly, I have not yet checked the passenger side head but the noise seems to be coming from the driver's side

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

wwthud

Reaction score
I have a 94 that is throwing a cam posi code CEL and bought a new synchro from Rock Auto ($) but no alignment tool came with it. Trying to find out if it is a "must have" or can be brought to #1 TDC and swapped out like an old distributor... then use my scanner on live to set timing. Any ideas/Warnings?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I very highly suggest the install tool. You can rent them from auto zone fairly cheap. I had fits doing one of these on a 4.2l f150. Pull your cam sensor off the synchronizer and rotate the engine by hand until the alignment tool will go onto the old assembly. Then pull the old assembly out (while paying attention to where the arrow points and where it rotates to as it comes up, you know how a dizzy rotates as it goes in or comes out), put the install tool on the new synchronizer assembly and drop it in, watching where the arrow is and where it ends up.

If you do it like this, you do not have to worry about setting TDC.

Do not rotate the cam synchronizer without the alignment tool on it. You cannot adjust timing on that like a dizzy does.

wwthud

Reaction score
I very highly suggest the install tool. You can rent them from auto zone fairly cheap. I had fits doing one of these on a 4.2l f150. Pull your cam sensor off the synchronizer and rotate the engine by hand until the alignment tool will go onto the old assembly. Then pull the old assembly out (while paying attention to where the arrow points and where it rotates to as it comes up, you know how a dizzy rotates as it goes in or comes out), put the install tool on the new synchronizer assembly and drop it in, watching where the arrow is and where it ends up.

If you do it like this, you do not have to worry about setting TDC.

Do not rotate the cam synchronizer without the alignment tool on it. You cannot adjust timing on that like a dizzy does.
Thanks for the advice, no Auto Zone up here so I'll try O'Reilly's or NAPA (way too high prices on everything!)

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, no Auto Zone up here so I'll try O'Reilly's or NAPA (way too high prices on everything!)
Yeah, any of the parts stores should have the tool for it. There are a couple different ones that come in the set, just read the instructions for selecting the right one.