cams causing miss help please!

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
Good Work! What does it idle at know, and what did it idle at before?

here is what mine idles at and its got stock tune in it.

I personally think it idles too high!

BTW glad to see your going to stick around a little! Its a great place here!

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
joshmartin said:
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/67da72c2-9558-48b7-b0fe-9a0d011f9719.htm

the car just has a xpipe with raven brand mufflers on it from best i can tell.... you can hear it lope twords end of vid once i take camera to back of car... but it doesnt even give it justice... it sounds preety mean.... the car has stock plug wires stock air filter and all lol i cant understand for the life of me why someone would go threw the trouble of installing cams and nothing else is changed... unless the guy stripped the other mods off before the sale.... i baught it off a small lot and they got it out of north carolina...

joshmartin,

looks like you got the issue solved, but i figured i would chip in a little and tell you what i saw in your video. to me, it looks like your car also has a full PI swap. the intake manifold looks like its the PI one, and the valve covers look like those of a PI windsor engine (on 96-98 mustangs, the oil fill tube should be on the drivers side). if this is the case, your compression ratio is higher than that of a normal mustang and that is something that needs to be addressed in the tune, but i guess you got that one covered already. a few easy ways to tell if you have the PI swap done:

1) for the intake manifold, look to see where the #1 intake runner leads to. if it goes to the #1 cylinder (the one closest to the front of the car on the passanger side), then its the NPI manifold. if it goes to to the #5 cylinder (cylinder closest to the front of the car on the drivers side), its the PI manifold.

2) count the number of valve cover bolts. 11 per side = either NPI or PI, 13/14 per side = PI.

and for reference incase you dont know (since you did state this is your first mustang):
NPI = Non-Performance Improved. basically this is what ford called the heads, cams, and intake manifold on the 96-98 GTs. restrictive compared to the PI counterparts.

PI = Performance Improved. what ford called the revised versions of the heads, intake manifold, and cams. used on the 99-04 GTs. basically this was the reason why in 1998, the GT was rated at 225hp/290tq. in 1999, it was increased to 260hp/302tq.

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
It does look like to me That he has a PI intake. I wasnt able to count the valve covers, but Its a good chance that it has PI heads as well. Your a lucky man, you are making some good power if that is the case!

OP
OP
J

joshmartin

Reaction score
i dont think it does guys, not sure about the intake, but valve covers only got 11 bolts , and dipstick is on drivers side... it runs good but id think itd run better if it had the full swap.... see i can buy a pi intake and heads for 400 bucks off a guy i know but i havent yet in fear of mine allready having the swap...

any other ways to tell or is the 11 bolts a dead giveaway?

OP
OP
J

joshmartin

Reaction score
also not sure i got the idle fixed it still kinda acts funny and the car is idling around 1100 rpms so the cams dont sound nearly as good now lol but it stops the stumbling for the most part most of the time....

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
Could be that you have Romeo PI heads on there too. Finding casting numbers are tough. Easiest way would be to take off the intake. You may beable to take a bunch of pictures, and I can try and see if I can get anything to match up to make sure its a PI.

This may help you out.

http://www.automotiverebuilder.com/ar/30631.pdf#search="1L2E 6250 DA"

also if you get it on a dyno, the numbers would tell us PI or NPI

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
joshmartin said:
ill go snap off some pictures where is a good place to upload em?

use photobucket.com. upload the pics there and then either post the link or post the IMG code here.

for the valve covers, 99-01 GTs use the 13/14 bolt configuration, 01-04 use the same 11 bolt configurations as the 96-98 GTs, so its not a 100% give away if you have the 11 bolt ones. what i meant about the oil fill wasnt the dipstick, it was the hole in the valve cover that has the oil lid on it. usually on our cars (96-98), its on the drivers side, and its not elevated. on your car, its on the passanger side and its elevated. here is a pic of mine and what i mean, its on the drivers side:

Picture061.jpg

and yeah, really the only way to tell if its the PI heads or NPI heads (at least difinatively) is to take off the intake manifold. thats the easiest way anyways. look at the picture above again, and you can tell the difference between the ports on the NPI heads and the ports on the PI intake gaskets.

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
id say it already has the pi swap done cause dont only windsor heads come with the oil fill on the passenger side? why would it have windsor valve covers on it if the heads werent swapped? just my $.02

OP
OP
J

joshmartin

Reaction score
i got more pics if you need them guys, on dialup they take a bit to load but for more looks i got alot more those 2 look preety good....

thanks everyone for all your help.... my friend told me my car has 2 coolant sencors and pi intakes only have 1.....

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
the second sensor has been tap, just as it would need.

IDK, but I think the heads will be stamped in side. so if you get ambitous, you could take off the passenger side Valve cover. BUt before you dothat, lets confirm it. Let me look through my pictures.

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
perfect. looks like it is the PI manifold, both by looking at the 1st intake runner and the stamping number.

stamping number, even tho you cant see it all, should say 1w7e-9424-aa, which is the revised PI manifold (revised because some of the PI manifolds came in all plastic, without the aluminum crossover).
this site --> http://www.p71interceptor.com/recalls/01m02/tsb0222.html shows that part number as being the Ford OE replacement manifold for the 99-04 Mustang 4.6L 2v

OP
OP
J

joshmartin

Reaction score
sweet, any ideas by lookin at the heads? any site we could distinguish or tell more by the oil fill being on passangers side? i really dont wanna pull that lower intake if i dont have too lol i helped my friend do his when his 125 shot on the plastic one finally took its toll and it busted :p

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
for the heads? nope, not really. the PI heads will have a stamping inside them that says "PI", but you can only see them once the valve covers are removed. other than that, removing the manifold and looking at the ports, or removing the heads and looking at the combustion chamber, i dont really think they are any different looking than regular NPI heads, at least from the outside.

OP
OP
J

joshmartin

Reaction score
ok and the oil fill on the passangers side have you ever herd of that at all? :xmascheers:

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
lol, yeah, i think i was the 1st one to mention it today. as far as ive known, the oil fill is always on the drivers side on the NPI valve covers, it was sometime during the PI years that ford moved it to the passanger side.

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
Valve covers are eaSy, make sure you do th passenger side though. Otherwise it will be a PITA

OP
OP
J

joshmartin

Reaction score
ok ill prob pull the passanger valve cover tommorow what exactly am i looking for and where will it be on the head?

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
Under the cams. It should ethier have a Casting number, or a Casting that says PI

Possibly we may need pics.

I have never had my valve covers off. Maybe i need to soon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgarR213

Members online