Cams Choice

Monday

Reaction score
I didn't bookmark the post or maybe it was another site, but I think I read the cams from a F-150 would fit my 4.6 SOHC.

1. Was this true?

2. What would be the best year for the install?

3. Has anyone here accomplished this? How do you feel about your work? and, was this a good power add?

As always, you guyzez all rock. Best site yet!!!

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
May I ask what you are trying to gain in doing this? All the 4.6 2v sohc cams will interchange, but the mustangs are the More performance oriented cams. @96blak54 has mapped a bunch of different cams and has some good info.

OP
OP
Monday

Monday

Reaction score
Increased gas consumption. I already run with 410's.

I searched member's posts and I don't think they're the one I read. It was (prolly) on sn95forums and it had a ton of numbers and those cams had substantially better numbers...

I wanna make sure I get it close to right before I even buy another head gasket.

07GtS197

Reaction score
None of the pi cams are that different, I’m not sure what you read but the numbers won’t be astronomically different. Also they won’t do much for gas consumption. Your gears are probably the reason why you have increased fuel consumption.

OP
OP
Monday

Monday

Reaction score
... increased fuel consumption.
I should have put a smiley face after those words... I was trying to be humorous. I am not always successful. I apologise to you.

As for numbers, it was pretty decent, and this is why I am a little obsessed with the 5.4L cams.

I know I bookmarked it, but I lost everything in this computer about five weeks ago. Still pissed about it.

Again, I'm sorry for lack of delivery.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Ah gotcha, I probably should have caught that. Yeah when Blak chimes in he can quote the numbers I’m sure but imo it’s not worth it. If you’re going to swap the cams you might as well go aftermarket.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
If you scored a 4.6l from an explorer, youll be sad at its performance in a mustang. They came with the smallest cams. Valve lifts at .450" both intake and exhaust, screams low rpm. It only makes sence they be oriented towards pulling torque so that boats and travel trailers can be pulled.

The crownvic cams are a step up and then mustang/5.4l cams are the better.

Any camshaft maker will special grind you a cam. They pull an already ground cam off the shelf and re-grind your wants. You typically choose the cam with the intake duration you want and then have them grind what lobe seperation you want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online