can someone educate me on a detriot tru track?

Ninety8stang

Reaction score
So Javi has a rearend for sale that's built with a Detroit tru track, moser 31 spline axles and 3.73's. I understand that these differentials run off a series of worm gears and a smaller inner ring gear but my question is when I got up under javi's car and spun the wheel on one side the other wheel didn't do anything. It spun the pinion gear but didn't even so much as budge the other wheel it was almost like the wheels could move independently from one another backwards and forwards. Is this normal? The rearend has been sitting for quite sometime but only has about 3-500 miles on it. Any advise is greatly appreciated. Let's see this sn95 wisdom! Haha

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
true-tracks require some friction/traction in order to create the TQ transfer from left-to-right. They function by "power" creating an un-even balance in the differencial. Once this occurs, "power" is transfered from the slipping wheel to the grounded wheel. without any of these forces in play (against resistance) they mechanism inside of the diffy (slide gears and pinion gears) cannot activate/function.

you could try and hold one wheel steady while spinning the other. this will create a scenario where friction/resistance is present and the differencial has the ability to transfer the "power" you're creating on the left wheel to the right wheel.

this is the best diffy for a road-race car (arguably) as a LSD with automatic clutches provides power to both wheels during a turn, favoring the slower spinning wheel (outside). The detriot true-trac puts the power towards the inside wheel helping "push" the car through the turn helping prevent under steer.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
thats what I've learned in my years of piecing together tech-info off the back of sugar packets.... so if anyone smarter than me would like to chime in, go for it.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
[MENTION=9866]Javi[/MENTION] selling my rear end huh.. ha.. tru track is a nice piece of equipment not sure if thats normal or not.. but i would think aslong as the other wheel does not turn the opposite way your ok..

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
yes. thats normal. for it to function (and transfer TQ/"power") there needs to be a situation where one wheel is being exposed to friction and the other being exposed to less friction.

Perhaps put one wheel on the ground and try and spin the other? This (may) create a situation where the power is shifted to the wheel on the ground, but you wont be able to maunally roll it (because cars are heavy and such) and it will appear the rear end has locked up.

I'm not an expert enough to know if that will work or not...

Slipperman

Reaction score
The truetrac acts like an open differential if it's un-loaded like on jackstands.
It's not "worm gears" but rather helical gears all running parallel with the axle.
If you can spin one wheel and the driveshaft, but not the other wheel, somethings holding it still.
Can you move the other wheel at all?

cobraracer46

Reaction score
I run a Tru Trac in my 2001 Cobra and what I like about it is that it's quite and its reliable as you don't have to worry about burning out clutches because the Tru Trac uses gears instead of clutches for torque bias. Another benefit of the Tru Trac is lower gear oil temps since no friction clutches are used. The Tru Trac is equally at home on the road course and the drag strip. The Tru Trac has performed flawlessly in my Cobra since 2007. Great product.

Rice_slayer

Reaction score
I run a VERY similar set-up in my mach as this (I have 4.10s, only difference) and it is REALLY smooth on launches vs. my stock rear end. Only downside is the diffy will "knock" while coasting in neutral sometimes as it is a partial locker :)

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Don't buy it. I want it. Your lucky [MENTION=9866]Javi[/MENTION]. I thought it was good as mine.
Ninety8 you'll love it. . Good choice. .

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I run a VERY similar set-up in my mach as this (I have 4.10s, only difference) and it is REALLY smooth on launches vs. my stock rear end. Only downside is the diffy will "knock" while coasting in neutral sometimes as it is a partial locker :)

oh. hi. :)

OP
OP
Ninety8stang

Ninety8stang

Reaction score
Bought it this weekend but haven't had the chance to put it in. Javi ended up botching up one of the diff cover bolts so I'm going to have to figure out something to get that out so I can give his saleen diff cover back to him. Haha

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgarR213

Members online