Car cover recommendations

joemomma

Reaction score
So the car will likely be forced to stay outside after it gets finished painting at the body shop. I'd rather not have it sit out all winter after a fresh paint job, so I'm looking for car cover recommendations. I know cheap car covers are worse on the paint than sitting out, so I'm guessing a "good" one would be my best option.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
So I checked LMR, seems the CoverCraft is a good choice, but it mentions not designed to withstand heavy rain. I saw where guys were using the cheaper SVE cover over the CoverCraft, maybe that's an option.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I wish I could help but I’ve never used a good one. I had a cheap one for my 98 yeaaaarrrrrs ago and it was junk. Water could go right through it. I don’t know what good it did lol. Kind of a stupid suggestion but I’ll add it anyway, if a quality cover can’t be found use a decent tarp. At least it will for sure keep water and crap off the paint it just won’t look pretty or fit well.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Yeah I had thought about getting a tarp over the "good" cover to help keep water off.

Wmac

Reaction score
If you have freeze/thaw cycles where you live, a somewhat loose fitting and thin cover would be the best choice. A thick multilayer cover traps moisture underneath it, allows condensation and possible mold/mildew. When wet, it can even freeze to the hood, glass, roof and trunk. A dark color will draw heat from the sun and dry out quicker.

I used an "evolution" cover for many years. Experienced all of the above and know have total paint failure. (clearcoat peeling) Maybe coincidental, maybe not.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
I hadn't thought about that...Tennessee winter weather is all the place, especially in east TN where I am. It'll be 50 one day, and snowing the next.

Wmac

Reaction score
A light weight nylon type cover will allow air movement underneath. A dark color with absorb the warm of the sun and also dry quicker. Also easy to machine wash if/when it gets dirty.

TrickVert

Reaction score
CoverCraft's 5-Layer All-Climate and WeatherShield HP lines would likely be my suggestion, but rather than conjecture and opinions here, why not call them, explain your needs, and have the experts make a recommendation?

If you prefer to do your own homework, this site has good resources for determining the best cover, different fabric options and comparisons, etc. - https://www.coverquest.com/help/section/car-covers

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter