Car runs rough and lean with the cut outs open

Wichers123

Reaction score
Exactly..
You can run just about any exhaust type and size and the car will hardly know the difference.. Unlike the newer cars were you have to tune for the slightest changes you make..
What you don't understand is cut outs right after cats is a major change so the ecu needs time to richin it up

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
I didn't say i didn't understand. Im saying i doubt its the lost of back pressure..
I would actually like to how exactly the exhaust is routed..

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Hopefully the tuner will know. Like I said after a day of driving with it open it seemed too be ok but just switching in the middle of at a light probably confused the hell out of the computer...

if all goes well I just need too figure out a way to make that SCT switch useable from the drivers seat and have him write a tune for it.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
So this week has not been as good as I hoped. Left 2 messages at the tuner to call me back to schedule an appointment and never heard back. Today I was driving along with the cut outs closed and it started too run like crap again. Pulled over and discovered the fitting on my power pipe at the upper intake was just loose enough that when it got hot, and I tried to punch it it would pull the pipe away from the intake. Tightened it all up and now it seems all better...

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
did you check your intake???

oh. was i too late? :p

glad it ffixed it all up, brotha!!!

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I will need to take it out today and find out as I noticed it after I got home and if so, video will follow... I noticed yesterday that while I drove through the same light it originally started acting up at that it started to act funny again. I think its just right at the point where the motor was warm enough that the rubber had loosened up enough to start to slip off the intake. My mustang club had its monthly cruise in last night and I was too tired when I got home from working it too go try it out but it wasn't a little loose it has pretty-well separated from the upper intake. It was resting on it and making an ok seal but anytime it moved a little it would allow unmetered air in. Will let you know more in the morning.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Took the car for a drive to enjoy the good weather and glad too say the AFR is just as solid with the cut out closed as they are open. Drove around all afternoon today with them open and never had a single problem bit of hesitation. Guess it was one of those things were it started too loosen up just as these were installed. The Anderson power pipe I have is impressive looking but I really with they had included some kind of mount up where it goes through the fender. With as heavy as it is and with the way the motor vibrates now with the cam its no wonder that it works loose.

And in other news - I f'n LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the sound with the cut outs open and wonder how often I will be keeping them closed honestly. I needed to go too the mall to look at some new sunglasses as mine are about to break. When I was done I decided to take a lap around the mall just like I use too when the car was new and its funny how it gets looks now just like it did when it was new and the 2nd mustang in town with this body style. As I rolled up to stop at one stop sign I noticed two younger girls probably in their 20's walking towards the door. It was funny as one girl was babbling, the other was paying no attention to her and locked in on my car(or me but probably the car). Just as I pulled to a stop her and her friend got too the door and she stopped, just kept glaring at me and finally gave the hand signal for "spin-em!". You know just 2 simple rotations of your arm - I am sure its just as universal a symbol world wide as flicking your thumb up and down is universal for "cigarette lighter"(still totally different from the universal symbol for remote control which is the same motion as the lighter but your arm extended) - back on topic. There was no traffic, no people in front of me and I didn't see mall security, so what the heck - I reved it up good but didn't go crazy spinning just barked them. As I sped off from the corner of my eye I saw her jump up and down like I just told her we were going to Disney world. She was a little pudgy for me or I might have gone back as she was definitely interested, in the car anyway but I am sure she would have settled for me to take her for a ride(in the car). Darn rain is moving back in which sucks as I want to finish my next video showing these and the new spoilers in action.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
didnt read that book, but I saw the "LOOOOOOOOVE the cut outs" part... so... nice! :)

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
When you start to approach 40 suddenly anyone under 30 looks like a teenager I am finding... videos will be coming as soon as the weather clears up. Been planning this one for a while, should be cool.