Catted H-pipe?!

dustinv

Reaction score
Alright guys, before I go crazy...is there not a company that makes a high-flow catted H-pipe to replace the stock unit on our cars? I've searched to the end of google with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mustang Mark

Reaction score
the only ones i could find are the ones for long tube headers, so get long tubes or go with an x pipe i guess

OP
OP
D

dustinv

Reaction score
the only one's on their site are for '99 and up year models.

OP
OP
D

dustinv

Reaction score
Well, it looks like I'll be giving into the "dark" side and going with an X for the midpipe....Crossing my fingers this turns out alright.

OP
OP
D

dustinv

Reaction score
Any potential issues going from catted to O/R midpipes..any at all?

OP
OP
D

dustinv

Reaction score
I've been seeing quite a few posts on forums mentioning a loss of down-low torque after the install of an O/R midpipe. Any experience with this?

schacher94gt

Reaction score
well i have a vortech so no haha. any loss would be minimal, im sure anyone on here can vouch for that. put some gears in and it definitely won't matter

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
dude you have a cobra... There is not loss of power.. Get the o/R X and you wont regret it..

They dont make any high flow catted Hs, that i know of. But they do make O/RHs lol.. Get the new mid pipe.. i said nooowwwwww!!!

OP
OP
D

dustinv

Reaction score
I ended up bouncing off every possible option before going with the Mac O/R H. I listened to about 2 million youtube videos before I made my mind up. We'll see how it turns out. As of now, it has the stock exhaust still on except for welded in Flowmaster orig 40s. I was also going to get the Flowmaster catback, but they now laser etch "FLOWMASTER" into their tailpips, and I just don't care for that. So I'm getting this tailpipe kit from 50 resto:

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-5212PR/86-97-Mustang-LX-Stainless-Steel-Tailpipes

I'm going to have the muffler shop weld some new stainless original 40s on and fab it all up to the new H pipe. I'll try to get an audio clip posted after its all done. This is one of the main clips that steered me in this direction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCIUSNiF9Y0

schacher94gt

Reaction score
i had an or h with my stock manifold but now im going with some headers and a or x. i really hope its sounds as good as it did before. It had a real nice deep sound to it

OP
OP
D

dustinv

Reaction score
Both systems, H and X, sound good if done right. IMO the newer stangs sound great with X's. When it all came down to it though, I just couldn't picture my car with out the H-pipe sound. To each his own!

schacher94gt

Reaction score
ya i like my 5.0 w shorties, O/R X and flows but i was really diggin the sound of the H on my 4.6. Hopefully running LTs will keep it a little on the throaty side over the typical rasp of a X

OP
OP
D

dustinv

Reaction score
Hopefully it hasn't been too long to revive this thread from the grave..

But anyway, just wanted to give a little update. Finally got the exhaust put on the car. Got the Mac O/R H pipe connected to a set of Flowmaster 40's with some Pypes flow tubes..all 2.5". I also had the 2.5" tailpipes from Late Model Restoration Supply put on, but unfortunately they didn't fit the cobra very well. It seems like they would be alot better for a foxbody.. So I got the OEM tails welded back on and it sounds PERFECT. It's exactly what I was looking for. Hopefully LMRS will accept the return on the tails. If they don't, I'll have them available for a much discounted price (they will need hangars welded on the front if you want to run those).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online