Changed clutch cable now car won't go into gear.

tykempster

Reaction score
Background info: I replaced my stock clutch, cable, and quadrant last winter. Everything worked great, but I put better headers on and (I think) scorched my clutch sheathing, making the pedal feel sticky sometimes. Late Model sent me a new clutch cable, so while changing my oil I changed it. I set the length just like the first one, with the adjusting nut just getting tight on the clutch fork. When I went to drive the car, I had to have the clutch all the way to the floor to shift, and the firewall adjuster couldn't move the engagement point up enough for my liking. Jacked up the car again, tightened up the adjusting nut several turns. Was feeling confident it would work great, but the car won't go into gear with the engine on. If I try to start the car in gear the car moves. With the engine off the tranny glides through the gears without the clutch being pressed much smoother than it usually does. Also noticed when I was right under the clutch and had someone press the pedal there was a squeak even with the engine off. What could this be a sign of?

Kboss87

Reaction score
FYI - most aftermarket cables are junk. I bought a UPR adjustable one and ended up throwing it out. I'm back to running the stock cable with firewall adjuster and quadrant, and am much happier.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
FYI - most aftermarket cables are junk. I bought a UPR adjustable one and ended up throwing it out. I'm back to running the stock cable with firewall adjuster and quadrant, and am much happier.

My MM one is holding up. I've seen BBK and UPR cables fail ridiculously soon though.

Sent from bored/stroked HTC One

OP
OP
T

tykempster

Reaction score
I finally got the clutch cable adjusted to an ok engagement point. The cable and firewall adjuster are maxed. Still have the crappy pedal feel though so I don't think the cable is my problem :(

RichV

Reaction score
If your quadrant has 2 positions make sure you are on the correct one for the cable type.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online