clutch question

Paladin1001

Reaction score
So I think my new old 98 needs a clutch cable, there is no fraying of the cable but its WAY harder to push than my King Cobra clutch on my Fox 351W car and that clutch is stiff, not to mention that I have had to do the under dash pull the clutch quadrant down and push the pedal down to get the engage point of the clutch off of the floor. I also sprayed some silicone on the cable which may have helped a little bit. The clutch isn't slipping but a couple of times it has seemed like the wasn't totally disengaged sitting at idle it wanted to creep. That's why I did the pull the quadrant hook and push the pedal for a click. That procedure helped and made it to where the clutch disengaged at idle.

What say all you experienced SN95 owners? Clutch cable or something else? By the way the clutch has been replaced, the pressure plate has LUK on it, which I don't think is factory but I can't see too much else with it.

Thanks in advance, still loving the car.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Im guessing its a factory quadrant and youre lifting up on the clutch? Have you checked the other end of the cable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

Paladin1001

Reaction score
No I tried the pull up thing first, it made it worse, I did the pull the white hook under the dash and push the pedal down til it clicks thing I found online and that made it better. Yes it is the factory quadrant too. I have checked the transmission end as well, the dust cover is long gone but the rubber boot on the cable is there and intact with no frayed ends on either end.

07GtS197

Reaction score
It could still be a stretched cable. How did the pressure plate look? Its worth replacing the cable first and go from there. I dont like to suggest throwing parts at a problem but in this case I think its best to start off with a new cable.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
I'd spray some more lube down the cable. The last time I did I kept spraying until the lube started dripping out the other end. It made a difference in how hard it was to push the clutch.

Did you replace the clutch yourself or was it done by someone else? The PO did the clutch install on my car and I ended up having to fix a couple issues that made it better.

OP
OP
P

Paladin1001

Reaction score
The pressure plate looked like it had been on the car for a while, I am going to look at it from underneath this weekend, I will have someone push the clutch while i'm under the car on jack stands of course, and make sure that there is no deflection or weird action on the fingers on the pressure plate. Where is the best place to get a new clutch cable? Rock Auto or amazon would be my go to but if anyone knows a cheaper source for a new factory cable I'm all ears.

OP
OP
P

Paladin1001

Reaction score
I'd spray some more lube down the cable. The last time I did I kept spraying until the lube started dripping out the other end. It made a difference in how hard it was to push the clutch.

Did you replace the clutch yourself or was it done by someone else? The PO did the clutch install on my car and I ended up having to fix a couple issues that made it better.

I haven't replaced the cable, I'm not sure if it has ever been replaced or not, its hard to tell and the guy I bought it from didn't have a lot of specific info on it since he had bought it and never even registered it. I found it very hard to spray lube into the cable, but maybe if I disconnected it from the quadrant it may be easier. I just worked at it from under the dash which is VERY tight.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
When I did mine I disconnected it from the quadrant and the fork. Then I held the firewall end up and sprayed down the tube. I've been told that there's a lube for motorcycle cables that works great for this. Even has a smaller hose to fit into the cable sleeve.

And honestly, it could just be a bad clutch. I've seen that too. The stock clutch we pulled out of my son's 99 was junk. It was so wore out it would engage at the very top of the pedal travel. And there was no adjustment left. The TOB was toast as well. We installed a spare 04 cobra clutch I had laying around and he said that clutch is lighter than what was in there.

OP
OP
P

Paladin1001

Reaction score
When I did mine I disconnected it from the quadrant and the fork. Then I held the firewall end up and sprayed down the tube. I've been told that there's a lube for motorcycle cables that works great for this. Even has a smaller hose to fit into the cable sleeve.

And honestly, it could just be a bad clutch. I've seen that too. The stock clutch we pulled out of my son's 99 was junk. It was so wore out it would engage at the very top of the pedal travel. And there was no adjustment left. The TOB was toast as well. We installed a spare 04 cobra clutch I had laying around and he said that clutch is lighter than what was in there.

Thanks I will give a try, I think it could be the pressure plate, the clutch problem I have it is feels like it doesn't disengage, like I wish I could push it a few inches through the floor. The gear shifter can be tough to get into gear when it does this. It is not bad when its cold but once it gets hot it seems to do this. It was better after I did the pull the quadrant down and push the pedal down but it seems like it readjusted itself and now its doing the same thing.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
If it's a heat thing I'd look into a new cable. Or shield the cable somehow. I had an issue when I ran mid lengths where if I was stuck in traffic the trans would get hard to get into gear. I picked up some great shield wrap from summit and it helped a lot.

OP
OP
P

Paladin1001

Reaction score
If it's a heat thing I'd look into a new cable. Or shield the cable somehow. I had an issue when I ran mid lengths where if I was stuck in traffic the trans would get hard to get into gear. I picked up some great shield wrap from summit and it helped a lot.
Thanks, yes it is definitely heat related. Plus this car has headers on it and the cable is pretty close to the header, not touching of course but there isn't much room down there and the header is in the vicinity of the cable. I'll see about heat shielding it when I pull it out to lube it up.

Thanks for the replies and I will update as I have new info.

Mike1261

Reaction score
I buy my OEM Ford parts at GetOEMParts.com when they're cheaper than other places, which is often.

But I bought my Ford Racing Adjustable Clutch Cable Kit and Ford Racing firewall adjuster from American Muscle.

Adfalenski

Reaction score
Replace the clutch cable. When a cable starts fraying internally, it becoming stiffer and stretches. What is cheaper, a new cable or the cost of a tow to a shop or your home. Plus the time the car is unavailable. A clutch cable can be replaced in an hour or two in your driveway. Mine failed 6 months ago and the tow was $100.00 and the cable was about $40.00

OP
OP
P

Paladin1001

Reaction score
I buy my OEM Ford parts at GetOEMParts.com when they're cheaper than other places, which is often.

But I bought my Ford Racing Adjustable Clutch Cable Kit and Ford Racing firewall adjuster from American Muscle.

Replace the clutch cable. When a cable starts fraying internally, it becoming stiffer and stretches. What is cheaper, a new cable or the cost of a tow to a shop or your home. Plus the time the car is unavailable. A clutch cable can be replaced in an hour or two in your driveway. Mine failed 6 months ago and the tow was $100.00 and the cable was about $40.00

Thanks both of you, I think you are correct, it just makes sense since I can't know the age of the cable and they are not that expensive or hard to change.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Keep in mind that ford never made an adjustable cable. Those are always made by aftermarket companies and most who’ve had them can tell you how they don’t last.

OP
OP
P

Paladin1001

Reaction score
Keep in mind that ford never made an adjustable cable. Those are always made by aftermarket companies and most who’ve had them can tell you how they don’t last.

Even the Ford Racing cable is junk? I would have thought since it was Ford it would be OK. I also found a Steeda cable but it looks like its not for the 96 and up cars.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Even the Ford Racing cable is junk? I would have thought since it was Ford it would be OK. I also found a Steeda cable but it looks like its not for the 96 and up cars.

To my understanding the “ford racing throw out bearings and adjustable cables” were not actually made by ford. The regular ford motorcraft parts are the authentic stuff.

Someone will speak up if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure that’s what was always said.

OP
OP
P

Paladin1001

Reaction score
To my understanding the “ford racing throw out bearings and adjustable cables” were not actually made by ford. The regular ford motorcraft parts are the authentic stuff.

Someone will speak up if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure that’s what was always said.

OK thanks, they must have licensed the name to make extra money.

Adfalenski

Reaction score
Instead of getting an adjustable cable, get a Ford cable and a firewall cable adjuster. Just pull off the black seal from the firewall end of the cable and it will fit into the adjuster. Remember to screw the adjuster all the way in before installing the cable. I have done exactly the above in my 2000 mustang.

OP
OP
P

Paladin1001

Reaction score
Well I ordered the Ford one from a dealer who sells on Amazon and it should be here in a day or two, but it has gotten to where I cannot get it into gear when its running so its parked until I can swap it out. I hope its only the cable, the clutch doesn't slip and will stall the engine easily but you never know, it could a pressure plate issue too I guess, even though that looks ok in the inspection plate. I'll update as I work on it and if anyone has additional advice I will be all ears.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online