Coil Pack Suggestions

Ballistic

Reaction score
Looking for Coil Pack Suggestions.

Thinking about the MSD but curious what others on here have or recommend.

NEURON

Reaction score
Most OP recommend stock in all but the most extreme applications.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am not sure what to think about msd now. They were slipping in quality for years but seems like they have been doing better since holley got them.

OP
OP
Ballistic

Ballistic

Reaction score
I was just more curious if there is more of a improvement with the MSD packs over the Motorcraft. 100 bucks vs 160 bucks.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Factory motorcraft coils are good for up to 500hp range. Anything after that you will need an aftermarket coil and probably some sort of ignition box. I wouldn’t try a msd until I’ve seen years of better reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Ballistic

Ballistic

Reaction score
Factory motorcraft coils are good for up to 500hp range. Anything after that you will need an aftermarket coil and probably some sort of ignition box. I wouldn’t try a msd until I’ve seen years of better reviews.

Welp that answers my question.

Thanks. Ill order up the Motorcraft ones, LMR has them pretty cheap compared to my discount at ford.

Defiant

Reaction score
Yep motorcraft coils are the best. You can shop around for a better price for a set of 8 but be careful where you get them from because there are a lot of knockoffs out there being sold as OEM. They even come in an official looking package, Ford is aware of this problem but there’s little that can be done. I’d stay away from places like Amazon and eBay, they entice people with their lower prices but they’re lower for a reason!

OP
OP
Ballistic

Ballistic

Reaction score
Yep motorcraft coils are the best. You can shop around for a better price for a set of 8 but be careful where you get them from because there are a lot of knockoffs out there being sold as OEM. They even come in an official looking package, Ford is aware of this problem but there’s little that can be done. I’d stay away from places like Amazon and eBay, they entice people with their lower prices but they’re lower for a reason!

That never even crossed my mind with these, I ordered mine from LMR. Id assume they would be using OEM but they were alot cheaper than ford..

I did get a 350z with aftermarket coil packs and it never ran right with them.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it scares me now how they are faking everything these days. I recently went to get a chip for my phone and was amazed at the difference in prices and was surprised to see that they have knock off chips. After working in the semiconductor manf area for 9 yrs I know what it takes to make a chip and if they are making knock offs of those, car parts are simple.....

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
In my engine saga one motor was lost to a fake Walbro fuel pump from AM and one motor rebuild from fake Fel-pro head gaskets, CRAP is sold by the best unknowingly.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
I have MSD coils and the car runs fine. I can't tell any difference from the stock coils. I have the stockers in the garage just in case...

98snakehorse

Reaction score
I like others have heard no better thing that oem motorcrafts. With that said though I do run msd on my car and they perform great so far @ 500+rwhp

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It’s not that the Msd’s don’t perform well when they work. The problem is that they’re very prone to instant failure with no given warning. Mallory had a bad batch of ignition parts back in the late 90’s that we’re the same way. They’d work perfectly and then just completely fail with no warning leaving you stranded.

So if your msd’s haven’t failed yet then yes, they will run great. Something about the way they’re built causes instant failure which to me is worse cause you get no warning before getting stranded somewhere.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Yep, I think I put the stock coils in my emergency tool bag in the car...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
It’s not that the Msd’s don’t perform well when they work. The problem is that they’re very prone to instant failure with no given warning. Mallory had a bad batch of ignition parts back in the late 90’s that we’re the same way. They’d work perfectly and then just completely fail with no warning leaving you stranded.

So if your msd’s haven’t failed yet then yes, they will run great. Something about the way they’re built causes instant failure which to me is worse cause you get no warning before getting stranded somewhere.

And nearly everytime youll overlook the coil packs being the problem cause they are 1. NEW and 2. MSD.

Id suggest stock also.

There is this one modular mad scientist that hangs around here, he switched over to Chevrolet coilpacks. Made up a mounting plate, wired it all up real nice.....worked out real good!

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I love MSD but.... I started mounting duel systems like the NASCAR boys and the day it failed on the wife the second system saved me a lot of grief.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online