Collector Registration

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Hey guys, looking for some input. Cars going to be up and running soon so now trying to scramble to get registration/inspection/all that crap taken care of. So in NJ, they have what's called collector's registration. Basically, its for my ideal situation for a car that rarely gets driven, to meets/shows, etc. However, you have to submit a document that it is "limited production" from online, car club, etc. I've been researching online and can obviously find 1997 Ford Mustang production numbers even down to color, but this is showing there was a ton made, like 15,000. Obviously, 21 years later these cars aren't around much and (to me) are more on the limited production side of things in todays world. Is there any databases out there that break down actual production numbers based off exterior color, interior, transmission, etc? Anybody have any other ideas on how to prove that these sn95's are in fact pretty uncommon cars? Going to be tough to get this document but I'd love to get this approved as it gets you a pass from inspection. Thanks

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Just throwing out ideas to see if they stick so its a little stupid at least to anyone that knows SN95s, but we are a rarity. I know if you look at the vin tag in the door on my car it says the body is listed as a GT2. Pretty sure the 2 just means 2-door BUT What if you were to tell them that the 2 is actually the ford code for the GTS mustangs? Suddenly its limited production....

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Just throwing out ideas to see if they stick so its a little stupid at least to anyone that knows SN95s, but we are a rarity. I know if you look at the vin tag in the door on my car it says the body is listed as a GT2. Pretty sure the 2 just means 2-door BUT What if you were to tell them that the 2 is actually the ford code for the GTS mustangs? Suddenly its limited production....

that's a good idea! I'll have to look into that. It's just tough, because to the Motor Vehicle any production number I'm finding online makes these nowhere near limited (i'm talking 1997 GT). However, where I live i can't tell you the last time i even saw an sn95 on the road, seriously must be years. It's just hard to document that and prove it

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yea I think your only hope on saying it was limited production is to maybe bend the truth a little bit. I mean there are way to many turbo sn's floating around these days.

My only other idea is to show them the srs stamp on the pass airbag and say its the srs edition.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I had another idea, have you ever considered some shinoda stripes on it? Or saying it was/is a shinoda?

With the 2 tone paint already I’m not sure how striping would look. You would think Motor Vehicle would just take my word ‍♂️

castine917

Reaction score
Well, 3 more years and you will qualify for that. No way I will go that route. I actually like driving my car places on a whim.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
for that matter who is to say its not a saleen/steeda/what ever? I don't think shinoda has a published list of the cars on its list, not for sure though and no clue about saleen/steeda. Its probably worth a look into though as other then some extra parts that you have replaced there wasn't a special vin designation. At one time you could actually get you car on the shinoda list if you had enough of their parts, not sure if that is true today or if its economical enough to do it honestly and save money.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Well, 3 more years and you will qualify for that. No way I will go that route. I actually like driving my car places on a whim.

I want to say the limit for historic is something like 3,000 miles a year. To be honest, I don't even put that many miles on the car in 5 years so anything to avoid inspection is a win for me

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
for that matter who is to say its not a saleen/steeda/what ever? I don't think shinoda has a published list of the cars on its list, not for sure though and no clue about saleen/steeda. Its probably worth a look into though as other then some extra parts that you have replaced there wasn't a special vin designation. At one time you could actually get you car on the shinoda list if you had enough of their parts, not sure if that is true today or if its economical enough to do it honestly and save money.

Thats a really good point. Obviously cobras are documented, but i don't believe saleens/steedas are vin specific or anything in general really, kind of like a Roush. On the title, it just shows a GT...

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Find a pic of a red boss/steeda/saleen back in the day and say that was the car the day you got it. Now I am not sure if they will pull up past records to see that you have not done this way before on the same car but if they did ask you could just say your not driving it as much now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online