Common 3.8L V6 Problems

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
This thread will cover some of the common problems with 3.8L V6 in the SN95. The information in this thread was provided by members of our community, thank you all that helped.

If you have any questions after reading this thread please try using the search bar located in the top right. Chances are there is already a topic covering your exact question.
After trying the search bar please feel free to start a thread in the appropriate section for addition information. Our community is happy to help!

Lastly, if you have any corrections or addition information please post it in this thread! I'll add the information to this first post!

Thanks!

1. Hanging Idle.
Solution: Remove IAC, clean and make restrictor plate. Or search for the vacuum leak causing the problem
silverv6, g36 monkey

2. Head gaskets eventually go.
Solution: Replace
g36 monkey

3. Coil pack goes bad. Causes misfiring.
Solution: Replace
drewskee89, Orange94

4. Lack of power.
Solution: Like all engines there are many ways to add power. The v6’s have more potential than they are credited for. They can be built for more power surprisingly easy and fairly cheap.
In my opinion, the best upgrade for the best price is putting in new rear end gears. I would recommend upgrading the rear end to a 8.8 and doing either a 373 or 410 swap.
Boost (Turbo or Supercharger) also is a great way to add power, but requires more knowledge and work.
If you’d like more information browse the v6 section and/or start a thread for help from our community.
Orange94

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
dont forget about the passenger side headers cracking due to condensation on the A/C dripping on them! :)

Jubert

Reaction score
Common v6 problems

Is having that dex gunk in the coolant a common problem too ???

Bone

Reaction score
Awesome read, Mine runs just fine for now (knock on wood).. But how much boost will the stock V6 bottom end hold up to? I was thinking about running 6-8lbs

-Phil

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome read, Mine runs just fine for now (knock on wood).. But how much boost will the stock V6 bottom end hold up to? I was thinking about running 6-8lbs
You'll get a different answer from everyone... but my belief is under 9 you're fine. Which is what I'm running.

I'll be bumping my down slightly to get less heat and more power. Right now its a just a fine tuning of boost vs temp to get the best power.

Bone

Reaction score
You'll get a different answer from everyone... but my belief is under 9 you're fine. Which is what I'm running.

I'll be bumping my down slightly to get less heat and more power. Right now its a just a fine tuning of boost vs temp to get the best power.

Alright thank you, the only reason why I'm goin to put a turbo on the V6 is because this car won't be driven daily, and I wouldn't mind having fun with the 6 banger while I rebuild/build the SBF

-Phil

shovel

Reaction score
How do you correct this issue?

This is a New Edge problem only, as far as I know - single port 3.8's got tubular "headers" vs. the logs that New Edge's got and the single port "header" (in quotes because I don't want anyone to lose their mind over definitions) seems not to be susceptible to this common crack.

I replaced the OE manifolds on my wife's 2002 with Pacesetter short headers seven years ago and she daily drives that car, problem has not returned.
I know this is an old thread, but it's a sticky too so future viewers may find it useful.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online