Common Oil Leaks?

94StewFord

Reaction score
I have my '94 GT that I purchased last fall. 37K original miles, automatic. It wasn't used much the last few years by the original owner, but it drove home 10 hrs like a champ. No noticeable drips inspecting on arrival, changed the oil a few weeks later. However, there was a build up where the transmission meets the motor around the inspection cover. Now I see since it's been sitting over winter ( I start it up once or twice a month and let idle) there is something leaking near the same spot.

I need to get the car up in the air in the spring to investigate, but figured I would as what are the most common areas to look for. I am assuming worse case rear main seal, then the obvious oil pan, valve cover.

Thanks for the input!!!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
as he said behind the upper/lower intake by the pcv is a spot that you will not really be able to see but you can get your hand back there to feel if there is oil. It drains down the back of the motor and comes off at the motor/trans area.

Buffalo5Spd

Reaction score
I have seen rear main oil leaks caused by stuck pcv valves on engines with this style system that was caused by stuck pcv valves. The good news is that once fixed the leak usually stops. This happens because the pressure behind the valve isn’t relieved and the pressure forces oil past the seals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online