Computer Opinions...anybody???

ft_nox

Reaction score
Okay guys here's the deal.. i'm doing a 5.0 swap in a 96 V6 shell. I bought an 86GT to completely tear down, and I was planning on using the computer and the wiring harness in the 96. I stopped by my local speed shop the other day and had a HEATED discussion about which computer/harness setup to run on my 87GT (e7te) engine. Basically what i want to know is.. if im doing a swap and i plan on modding my car later, should i just use an engine harnes and computer from a 94-95 gt? The guy was trying to tell me that the MAF computer was better than speed density :blah2: and that the 94-95 wiring harness would plug right up no problem. So which one would you go with if you were doing the swap yourself?

ripper

Reaction score
Hmmm the thing is the 95 puter is what is supposed to be in there right? And he wants you to use the 96 puterOr the other way around? Either way I think I would use the one that came with the motor.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Most of your post doesn't make much sense, and you're all over the place.

The MAF setup is better than the OEM speed density system for performance applications.

The 94-95 GT computer (e.g. the T4M0) is what you would want to do a V6 to 302 swap, but is probably not compatible with your existing gauge cluster. (Not sure about that one)

What is this talk about an 87 GT, is that something completely unrelated?

Paul.

OP
OP
ft_nox

ft_nox

Reaction score
Sorry about that guys.... :hammer: I have the computer and harness from the 86GT.... and thats what i was going to use, but the tech at the shop was arguing against it.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
The tech is right. You should use a computer/harness/gauge cluster/MAF from a 94-95 5.0.

OP
OP
ft_nox

ft_nox

Reaction score
Cool cool! What i was saying about the 87 was that i also have an 87GT engine... thats the one im planning on using in the car. How compatible would this engine be with the 95 5.0 computer and wiring harness?

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
They are virtually the same engine in nearly every respect with the exception of a few of the wiring connectors. 94-95 5.0s have a different Idle Air Control on them, with a different connector, but a connector from an older fox can easily be spliced in.

Paul.

OP
OP
ft_nox

ft_nox

Reaction score
Thanks bro. Looks like i'm not as close to done as i though i was! Nothing that 500 bucks and MPS can't fix tho. Just suxx cause that was my UPR :boink: tubular k-member money!

lrall

Reaction score
i was always under the impression that the foxbody(eg 87 gt) computer and shit was better than the foxbody because it wasnt as picky and you could mod it more without it freaking out

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Yes, but a 94-95 cluster would fit in a 96 a whole lot better. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online