Crazy hanging idle! fkn help!!

rgs

Reaction score
k when i start my car up it idles at around 1100. and after i start to drive the idle then stays at 1300. it's pretty damn consistent on the 1300 too.

things i've done:
reset battery
cleaned maf
cleaned iac

the throttle cable all looks fine so i doubt my tb is staying open....

any ideas would be greatly appreciated :help2:

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
Did you check the flux capacitor??

Anywho, mine has a shit idle too, and I've cleaned the MAF, IAC, Reset the battery...I need some input too..

OP
OP
R

rgs

Reaction score
it just randomly started happening. i didnt change a thing.

the tps is the sensor just next to the iac right?

97vertstang

Reaction score
i been having this problem lately. things i did, u need to disconnect the iac while the engine is running if the idle drops almost certainly is the iac. if it stays it could be ur tps. that was my problem, i set the tps while i had the iac disconnected.once u got the idle correct turn it off.connect the iac back on and ur idle should be good. at least thats what i did.

ryclef331

Reaction score
WRONG!

You guys got it backwards. If you unhook the IAC and maf STAYS up, its sticking open and is more than likely dirty. Check the voltage on your TPS. I've seen cars with bad TPS' reading 2.36volts which cause a severly hanging idle. Check the TPS voltage....if it is where its supposed to be, then clean the IAC. If cleaning it doesn't work, replace it entirely...cleaning hardly ever works for me on IACs.

OP
OP
R

rgs

Reaction score
my iac is clean.

fucking ford dealer wants 180$ cdn for the fkn tps

97vertstang

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
WRONG!

You guys got it backwards. If you unhook the IAC and maf STAYS up, its sticking open and is more than likely dirty. Check the voltage on your TPS. I've seen cars with bad TPS' reading 2.36volts which cause a severly hanging idle. Check the TPS voltage....if it is where its supposed to be, then clean the IAC. If cleaning it doesn't work, replace it entirely...cleaning hardly ever works for me on IACs.
hey rycleff, i been having problems my self with hangine idle.
first i cleaned the iac and throttle body and the idle stayed at 1500 rpm. than i replaced the tps and it came down to 800 rpm but once i stepped on it. it would go to 1000 rpm and stay there. so i put in a stiffer spring and it worked. it stays at 700-800 rpms. the pedal is a little stiff and i want to fix it right so im going to buy a bigger throttle body now to see if cleaning screwed it up????i always thought if u disconnected the iac the idle wasnt supposed to drop.if what ur saying is right, do u think the iac is the culprit??? i blamed my tps , replaced it and worked but not perfect. now im thinking that the other 200 rpms that are supposed to drop could be my iac. i cleaned the shit out of it but it still didnt drop like i wanted it to.

ryclef331

Reaction score
You car has an adaptive learning curve so that means it learns your driving style and how the car reacts in certain situations based on the throttle position. Idle is one of the them. You should be setting the idle with ALL ACCESSORIES turned OFF and the IAC disconnected. The IAC shouldn't have to help at all to make the car idle with no load on the motor. NOW, once you've set it like that, you shut the car off and start it wih headlights, heat or a/c, radio, defrost, etc. all on. Put the alternator on a LOAD. THAT is where the IAC comes in to play. If putting a stiffer spring on your throttle body dropped your idle, your throttlebody could be sticking open and you're right, that is a band aid to a bigger problem. What are you trying to get your i'de at...Mine idles 750 all day. Thats cammed a 5speed...7-8 should be fine.

97vertstang

Reaction score
it idles fine but it has a slight hic up that it didnt do before. it started doing it after i cleaned the throttle body. do u think the throttle body isnt sitting right????

ryclef331

Reaction score
You said you cleaned the throttle body and then it started but putting a bigger spring on it helped drop the idle....I think when you cleaned it you might have jacked something up. did you notice what looked like grey paint around where the throttle blade WOULD seat? Some manufacturers use it. Its actually sealant to help tighten up the tolerances between the blade and body. If you washed that off, then you're letting excess air by. Now that you've said that, I think you might have mess it up. Sucks to say it. I would see if you can't find a local guy to swap with for a quick test drive before you drop the dough on it but you siad thats the only thing you've changed....and putting a bigger throttle return spring improved the problem so....logically...I'd have to say there in lies the problem.

97vertstang

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
You said you cleaned the throttle body and then it started but putting a bigger spring on it helped drop the idle....I think when you cleaned it you might have jacked something up. did you notice what looked like grey paint around where the throttle blade WOULD seat? Some manufacturers use it. Its actually sealant to help tighten up the tolerances between the blade and body. If you washed that off, then you're letting excess air by. Now that you've said that, I think you might have mess it up. Sucks to say it. I would see if you can't find a local guy to swap with for a quick test drive before you drop the dough on it but you siad thats the only thing you've changed....and putting a bigger throttle return spring improved the problem so....logically...I'd have to say there in lies the problem.
yeap u got it, and it was so full of dirt i cant remember if there was something in there, but it does say" do not clean throttle body" on top.right after that it hasnt idled like before. i just wanted to know if it was my iac or the throtlle body cause i dont want to be spending money on sensors i dont need. the throttle body however since it was stock im just going to replace it with an aftermarket. might as well since i messed this one up.and yeah im pretty sure it doesnt seat like it used too causing air to slip through, thanks :thumb:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online