custom hood scoop

Steve-Oh

Legend
Reaction score
IMO spend the money on a new hood. It's like those guys who put the lightening motors in their cars and have the intake / blowers sticking way far out of the hood, just looks ridic. Aside from the fact I think scopes look out of place on our cars.

OP
OP

98cobra3

Reaction score
a die-grinder and magic marker are far cheaper than a new hood. lol.

amen. some of these guys just don't understand the life of a badass mutha thugga! we got that horsepower sticking out our hoods son.

the engine bay pics might come with some begging of you fools :grin: I will post my 5.4 swap thread on here one of these lonely days. it is still in the making but ive been driving this torque monster since last fall.

OP
OP

98cobra3

Reaction score
terminator pulley guard.

and no. going to cut it out to match the blower eventually....

pics of the underhoodness or im assuming you have a thread of some sort around these parts...MUST SHOW LINK HERE MC

Burninrock24

Reaction score
WTF. You need to show how you put a Boss intake on an non coyote motor. I would do this in a heatbeat. I hate the PI intake.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Sorry but after some thought don't call me a dick but there are a lot of ways to do it but unless you have worked with glass before the chances of you pulling it off, making it look good and then last for a length of time is honestly pretty slim. There is some learning that you have to get to know with glass from everything to the mixing and how it starts to set/gell while working with it to as Jeremy said getting ALL the small air pockets out just to get it to last and be durable, but to finish it to a surface that will match the rest of the hood takes time and exp that you can't just pick up the first time. Myself with exp if it were me I would be planning on 15-20 hrs of work on it and just like in paint its mainly all about the prep as once the activator hits the resin the tock is clicking so if EVERYTHING isn't where it needs to be, masked off where you don't want resin and have all your supplies with in arms reach you really don't have time to go get something, fix this, wipe that, ect... After the resin sets you will be looking at a lot of sanding/filling to get it smoothed out and into the shape you want, finally ending in primer/paint/clear to match and again getting all of this smooth enough that it doesn't look like a bad blister on your hood is just not as easy as it sounds.

I don't even like many of the styles of aftermarket hoods available for us but unless your ready to get really dirty, have sore shoulders from the sanding and finish it to a factory fresh clear to match I think it would be in your best interest. Again not trying to be a dick but callin it like I see it that what your really asking how to do is a fairly advanced piece of body work to pull off perfectly. This is your hood so if you do F-it up it will look 10x worse then the intake sticking out and get use to explaining to people why you did what you did. Where as what you have now, kinda speaks fer itself...

OP
OP

98cobra3

Reaction score
well it definitely does not fit on any 4.6. too wide! it is planted on a 5.4 DOHC engine out of a navigator. I have both 5.0 intakes, but for now I had to put on the boss 302 because I don't know where I would mount my alternator. I would love to put on the stock coyote intake on for more low-end and mid-range torque (fitting under a stock hood would be nice also). maybe down the road I will. as for some pics I will make a project thread up here one of these days.

ttocs: you are probably right. I know how much work is into glassing either way I do it being making a foam mold or fabbing the sheet metal one. I personally think the sheet metal and filler option would probably be my best bet (my original plan). I think so because I am experienced with metal fab and welding. I know I could have a damn good looking metal scoop, then rivet it one, but the hard part for me would to make it look good with glass around the edges and filler throughout. I also haven't seen anyone do what I would like to do but that doesn't necessarily mean it hasn't been done right.

my neighbor has a really good glass connect that I will find out by the end of the week on his capabilities and pricing. after I find out this info, I will make my decision on what route I will go. if he can do it for less than a 400 shipped hood give or take, I will let him in a heartbeat. this way, it would be custom and sick nasty. better than the bolt-on hood we have to choose from.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Have you tried looking at the aftermarket scoops that are available? There are a ton of different styles and I bet you could find one that isn't too bad to cover up the hole and yet still allow it to be seen a little for the cool factor. You can probably drill a few holes to mount it with some screws and then fill the edges if you want a seemless look.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for the acknowledgement [MENTION=11896]ttocs[/MENTION]. I will also agree that it's not for an amateur. I work with fiber glass on a daily basis and still wouldn't be gung ho about this task myself.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I was all for it at first until I really started to think about it. I mean it sounds easy to say shape a mold from foam and slap the glass on top and sand it smooth. That is really all there is if you want to break it down to brass tacks but when you start to look at the little details that when they are not included and done perfectly result either in hours of work to correct it or accepting that it looks like crap somewhere.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
its a little much for my liking, but what's cool about it is that you have a ton of options for cool paint designs.

maybe a pin stripe on the scoops and a displacement badge on the cowl-step?

paint match the sides, black down the center?

I wouldn't have chosen it, but it's definantly got some potential for something unique and cool!

OP
OP

98cobra3

Reaction score
yeah I went out on a limb on this one, but it was between this and the 2k cobra r 3". I am just the kind of person to get what everyone doesn't have and there is already a few 94-98's with the R hood running around here, so I got this one. personally, I haven't seen anyone with this style anywhere and it really is starting to grow on me and I have only had it installed for about a week. It def is bigger than I expected, I actually have a little breathing room under my hood :evil:.

that sounds like a pretty sweet idea MC. that is my next adventure!
Now I need your painting ideas please!!!

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ha. i'm all for being unique! :-D

and you'll have to ask [MENTION=17070]Tony[/MENTION] for some ideas. he's part Zeus when it comes to that.