Desperate Mach1 Revival

SN90FiveOh

Reaction score
Been away from mustangs for about a year now, had kids, bought a house, you know life stuff. Just recently started looking for another one for a project. The 03-04 Machs have always been one of my favorites so when I found a severely abused one I felt that I had to save it.

Towed it home with my good buddy @lwarrior1016 from two states away
Guy claimed to not know exactly was wrong with it and he just didnt want to go any further with it. Come to find it appears to have a spun bearing somewhere as I cranked it and drove it into the driveway and it died several times and after a few startups it wouldnt turn over again. I believe I just warmed it up enough to lock something up.
mach1dirty.jpeg

It is damaged on the driver side but came with a fender, door, and new bumper.
Upon pulling the fenders off its obvious it was damaged a little more than the guy claimed.
mach1damage.jpeg
damaged.jpeg

Took some quick measurements today and it doesnt seem to have affected anything. Going to take some more tomorrow and see if I can find anything extremely out of line.

Here are some pictures after cleaned for the first time in years
cleaclean.jpeg mach1.jpeg machsideview.jpeg

Plan for now is still completely undecided. If I am going to build an engine Im not sure what my power goal would be with this car. Dont want to strip it down and make a race car but also would like it to hold its own.

I dont have any experience with wrecked vehicles so if any body guys want to chime in and tell me its totaled go ahead lmao. Excited to be back in a Mustang!

Attachments

• machrear clean.jpeg
    machrear clean.jpeg
    256.2 KB · Views: 8

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
You should talk to my buddy Brett Smith. He’s a NOLA area guy and he’s know who to put you in contact with. Are you on Facebook?

Silver95bird

Reaction score
its mach1. theres nothing there that i see exceeding the book value. its a fixer for sure.
always loved those wheels.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

SN90FiveOh

Reaction score
@Silver95bird That is also what I was thinking. It would take alot more than that to make me not want to mess with this car and yes these wheels will be on it as long as I own it, I love them.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
As a mach 1 owner I am glad to see you fixing it
Another one back on the street
And hay guys get on the el paso tx craigslist
There is a mach 1 for 2700 around there
Not a clean title but clean car needs some work

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Have it put on a frame rack. If it all truly measures good and the stability of the frame isn’t compromised then put it back together and move forward. Glad to see a Mach getting saved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Looks like its in better shape than mine was. I would start off on a frame rack and have them make sure its straight and after that it doesn't look that bad. do NOT order reproduction parts. Go to the yard and find damaged oem stuff before the new as the new metal is thin enough I do not like to lean on one of my fenders and I have heard enough bad stories about bumper covers not fitting well either. Its not hard at all to patch torn bumpers or if there is a hole in them, they sell a 3m kit for it at vatozone.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
That one on the el paso T.x craigslist
Is pretty clean it was a bumper cover and a lower control arm bent and the insurance totaled it
It is a clean car
I did take pictures of it
If any one is interested

Silver95bird

Reaction score
Looks like its in better shape than mine was. I would start off on a frame rack and have them make sure its straight and after that it doesn't look that bad. do NOT order reproduction parts. Go to the yard and find damaged oem stuff before the new as the new metal is thin enough I do not like to lean on one of my fenders and I have heard enough bad stories about bumper covers not fitting well either. Its not hard at all to patch torn bumpers or if there is a hole in them, they sell a 3m kit for it at vatozone.
This. ^
Oem parts from a yard is better than aftermarket, assuming good condition.
If the frame is straight, OEM parts fit much better. Also stay away from reconditioned bumpers and headlights. Ive bought new aftermarket lights and they were decent, i got mine at blue oval industries. my aftermarket header panel was cheaper but fitment was 90% ok. Ymmv of course, just sharing my experience.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
Awesome save! The 03/04 Mach's have the 4v engines so it's already a good base. My opinion if you do build it up some to hold its own I'd suggest doing some forged internals and throwing some boost at it.

OP
OP
S

SN90FiveOh

Reaction score
If it doesn’t measure out, cut the front off and go tubular.

This was actually my first thought, but a quick look online I only saw kits like the Team Z that replace everything forward of the strut towers. I would have to go tubular all the way from the firewall.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Interior was filthy so I gave it a quick vacuum and wiped down the seats.
View attachment 5712
View attachment 5711

Decided to remove the engine from the bottom since Ill be going through the suspension and trans while I'm in there.
Heres what I got done in between the rain. I'll have it out sometime this week.

View attachment 5713

522bf77958f77a645c8517a75ae343cc.jpg

[emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
96Mustang4.6GT

Members online