Detailing engine dept.

cobra4978

Reaction score
What do you guys think i should use to clean my engine? it's real dusty right now not oily or anything just plain dirty also what do i have to do to get my hoses to shine and so on? i would like it to have a show car finish or as close as possible thanks

ripper

Reaction score
I just used engine brite on mine and it didnt really look alot better than it was. I destroyed my belt and it was everywere so i figured id clean the whole motor. Be sure to cover your coil paks, alternator, and fuse box before you do it though. Alot of guys in here use this pig somthin stuff and they sau its good. Im sure one of them will chime in. Id like to know myself. Engine brite sux i can tell you that.

97blackgt

Reaction score
ive heard simple green works well...if your is just dusty it wont take much to clean it :dunno:

ju015dd

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
wash her down with some water and simple green. dry, then use air hose or blower to blow any left over water out the crooks and crannies. then wipe down. then grab your new can of pig spit and go to town.

ripper

Reaction score
Ok thats the stuff pig spit. How do you use that stuff?

916_5.0

Reaction score
Simple green works pretty good. Also this cleaner called holy cow works great its not very hard on tuff either it wont ruin your be;ts or anything. I clean my engine with that then use armoral or some kind of interior cleaner to make all the hoses shine.

OP
OP
C

cobra4978

Reaction score
so Interior cleaner is fine to use under the hood? or should i get some of this pig spit stuff and if so where do i get it? thanks alot

ripper

Reaction score
Thats what i used scoot but it didnt foam. Maybe i had a bad can.

916_5.0

Reaction score
If you use armoral or something on your hoses to make that stuff shine nice its fine i know alot of people who use it including myself, it works great. For cleaning grease and sutff though i use simple green or something, or holy cow if you can find it that stuff works awesome.

scootin95gts

Reaction score
well i think they got some other stuff that isnt foam that isnt that great but this foam stuff is good and i also use a rag to wipe it down a little heres a pic

W

Wes8398

After you spray the Simple Green, do you guys scrub/wipe it all off? Or do you actually take a hose to the engine compartment? That seems awfully scary to me...aren't there things you can wreck with water?

OP
OP
C

cobra4978

Reaction score
Before you spray the engine with the hose take some plastic bags and cover the alternator, distributor cap and i would cover the battery also i'm pretty sure thats all you have to cover everything else should be fine.

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
Wes8398 said:
After you spray the Simple Green, do you guys scrub/wipe it all off? Or do you actually take a hose to the engine compartment? That seems awfully scary to me...aren't there things you can wreck with water?

Yes, you can cause a problem with water in your motor. I just cover my alternator and rinse the simple green with a really light mist just enough to drip the excess off. Blowing it dry with compressed air is a good idea. Also, make sure to dry where the spark plugs are because water likes to pool in those little crevices.

Some detailers pressure wash motors everyday with no problems, I'd rather just spend a little bit more time with a scrubbrush and a hose. O0

scott5

Reaction score
yea we just use simple green or another other degreaser spray it down after covering the alternator, distributor, or if you have coils, then wait alil bit, start your engine then spray off with hose. IT works 100% of the time and while the car is running, spray the whole motor with compressed air to get all the water off of it. I work at a detailing shop and havent had any problems yet. And i use an interior cleaner on my hoses to give it that extra WOW.. hope this helped

W

Wes8398

Right on guys, thanks for the info! O0 One thing I wonder, Scott, is why you start the car before you spray it down...?

scott5

Reaction score
all you really want the water for is just get the soap and degreaser off so with the motor on, it doesnt really have time to settle anywhere then with the air it just gets whatever has steamed up.

ju015dd

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Stevo said:
Ok thats the stuff pig spit. How do you use that stuff?

very simple, you need to get your motor clean and dry before you use this. it is a spray on product that you can either leave wet or wipe it down. also, you can spray it on everything under the hood. do this befor you quick detail the outside of your car, because it will prob get everywhere. but the stuff is great, and makes everything look brand new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDTag

Members online

No members online now.