Engine detailing

jacobn4056.

Reaction score
What could I use to protect and help to seal out corrosion or rust and fight oxidation on unpainted engine parts, brackets or gear

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Good question! A good clean, prep and paint is always good. Maybe someone has a different approach and wouldnt mind sharing their info.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
i seen where a guy used WD40 on the engine and plastics under hood
he did not wash it off just let it Bake on with the heat of the motor
about every month he washes the engine and recoat with WD40
that engine looked new
i would lightly coat it not to where it is dripping.
i haven't tried it yet , but like i say when the hood is popped open clean as whistle
on a 03 trans am

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I to have used WD40 on the plastics with great results. I wiped it on tho. Applied some elbow grease cleaning before hand. Im not a fan of water with these modulars. Find myself drying out sparkplug boots everytime

Slice

Reaction score
It's not pretty but for brackets and things that don't get hot I mix engine oil half and half with odorless paint thinner and put it in the Windex bottle and spray it on the parts. It works better for stuff that attaches to the firewall and the inner fenders as opposed to something that gets hot like your exhaust manifold. It will stop rust in it's tracks. I am in Canada so fighting rust is a battle up here. Reapply every 6 months. Also this trick works really well for your wheel arches and bottom corners of the doors. Yes it will attract some dust and dirt but you just wipe that off on the outside body and let the oil creep into the inner crevices. Try to keep it off anything rubber - oil will rot rubber.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I to have used WD40 on the plastics with great results. I wiped it on tho. Applied some elbow grease cleaning before hand. Im not a fan of water with these modulars. Find myself drying out sparkplug boots everytime
Same every time . Can spray down a small block ford and it’s fine .

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
It's not pretty but for brackets and things that don't get hot I mix engine oil half and half with odorless paint thinner and put it in the Windex bottle and spray it on the parts. It works better for stuff that attaches to the firewall and the inner fenders as opposed to something that gets hot like your exhaust manifold. It will stop rust in it's tracks. I am in Canada so fighting rust is a battle up here. Reapply every 6 months. Also this trick works really well for your wheel arches and bottom corners of the doors. Yes it will attract some dust and dirt but you just wipe that off on the outside body and let the oil creep into the inner crevices. Try to keep it off anything rubber - oil will rot rubber.

Good info I’m on the other side of Canada in bc

OP
OP
jacobn4056.

jacobn4056.

Reaction score
I’m glad I got so many replies. I’m going to read through them and get back to you all. I like the idea of a little good looking paint. But keep in mind my style and any upgrades I'm envisioning calls for a little bare. I want to go black with some Edelbrock equipment but this won’t be a race car and I definitely don’t want to do a cover over on the whole engine with paint of any color. .probably. absolutely no chrome to match well with the equipment I’m envisioning. The equipments etching and detail are the aluminum or alloy not exactly shiny and that’s what I’d love to protect the metal for. Using metal as color detail

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online