Do 96-98 taillights disassemble and reassemble "easily" ? (water getting in)

shovel

Reaction score
I have a 1996 with the normal factory taillights and the paint + plastic are in good condition but the driver side one gets water in it when it rains or gets washed. I haven't found any obvious faults and I checked that the little vent holes aren't plugged, I know sometimes wasps like to fill round holes when they find 'em but the little rubber snorkus things are intact, pointed down and not plugged up.

So I'm guessing there is some kind of gasket between the black plastic housing and the red plastic lens that's letting water in when it rains, I don't want to break these things trying to disassemble them blindly .

Any tips?

Thanks

1710457618145.png

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
all I can think of to find the leak is to pressurize them a little somehow and then use soapy water to look for the bubbles. Maybe some tape over the light holes and constant air pressure from a compressor would work?

OP
OP
shovel

shovel

Reaction score
I might be able to figure something out with the blower outlet on my shop vac + some random small tubing + some duct tape to pressurize them, it's not a bad idea. I'll give that a shot this week some time and if it produces cool looking photos I'll share.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The plastic painted trim just snaps on with slip thru tabs. Being carefull, you can remove this trim.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online