Do stock Fox valve covers fit SN95s with roller rockers? The ANSWER inside!

68eleanor

Reaction score
We used 93 cast aluminum valve covers on my sons 95 GT, Vortech Supercharged, We had to grind al little on the inside with a carbide burr bit, to clear the Harland Sharp roller rockers, I placed the factory fuel lines on either side of the oil fill It is a tight fit but we did not have to fabricate the oill fill. and I have clearance for the alternator, We also used VHT High heat crinkle paint to match the Trick Flow Track Heat Intake, It turned out pretty nice. we had to buy a 3/8 spacer for the intake as well to get some extra clearance, We tried to run fabricated tall covers, but you would have to buy a 1" spacer to clear those. Hope this helps Let me know if you need any more info. Donnie

Werecow

Reaction score
Old thread I thought I'd pop in with my $0.02 worth from my experience from this week!! I have GTP40 heads on my 94gt with a stock intake that I attempted to mount fox valve covers on. Had plenty of clearance on passenger side (it's got a air pump delete) but I did have to roll the alternator back to install it, easy peasy loosen up belt tensioner take out 1 bolt and loosen up 1 more. It was snug but no rub, the problem child was the driver's side.. oh it dropped in nicely, I even replaced the PVC t with a bung for clearance as to my thinking 2 vacuum lines to 1 PVC fitting is redundant, I placed the upper plenum on and when I started to torque down the bolts (yes u had a torque wrench in it) I heard something snap... There is a large amount of aluminum under where the vacuum t was that I replaced with the bung in the very rear of the upper plenum near the master cylinder... I did take into account how much interference there was and knocked a hole in the top of my fresh painted valve cover... I don't have roller rockers buut anyone else please take note.. if you want to do this swap.. you will need to get a spacer at least 3/8 or 1/2 in or you may get by with some grinding near that vacuum port at the rear of the upper plenum.. hopefully you can lean from my mistake... Well time for me to drag out the JB Weld... Cheers!!!

Werecow

Reaction score
Oh!! And btw.. I can't take credit for it but I did see on another forum where someone took a 3inch piece of 1in flat stock, drilled 2 holes in it about 2 maybe 2 1/2 in apart ran the long bolt from the alternator thru one hole with a spacer and just bolted the other end to the hole that the long bolt was in.. that allows the alternator to lay over about 2 inches for more room for the valve cover..may need a longer belt depends on your set up I think but would make it a lot simpler then the cut and grind on the passenger side if you need more room. Like I said I can't take credit for this, just spreading the word.. cheers!!

Werecow

Reaction score
Found a pic of what I was talking about to help explain it..0708171240_1499639724631.jpg

Flade

Reaction score
I just bought a set of Trick Flow FAC 170 heads. They have 3/8” studs and I plan on using 1.6 roller rockers. My Cam is pretty mild COMP Cams XE264HR-14 with max lift of .512. My engine is a Currently stock 94GT.

Will I need new valve covers to clear the rockers, or should the stock covers work? If the stick covers won’t clear, will the Cobra covers clear, or should I be looking for Fox covers as previously discussed?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
most people swap the stock valve covers just because they went to a cheaper stamped version in 94. The 94 cobra coves will not give any more space than the stock from what I remember. I have trickflow heads, a stage 1 cam and 1.6 rr and I am running stock foxbody valve covers just because they are cast and look better.

Flade

Reaction score
most people swap the stock valve covers just because they went to a cheaper stamped version in 94. The 94 cobra coves will not give any more space than the stock from what I remember. I have trickflow heads, a stage 1 cam and 1.6 rr and I am running stock foxbody valve covers just because they are cast and look better.
Thanks, good info. How did the Fox VCs clear the alternator and intake. Which intake are you running?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ONg0yha.jpg

Cobra intake with a 1/2" spacer. Now with that alternator you see there I did have to modify the valve covers, as well as the mounting bracket for it and the rad hose around it(and a larger hood) because its a big ass 225 amp HO alt. I am %95 sure I had it mocked up with the stock alt prior to swapping out for the larger one.

Flade

Reaction score
ONg0yha.jpg

Cobra intake with a 1/2" spacer. Now with that alternator you see there I did have to modify the valve covers, as well as the mounting bracket for it and the rad hose around it(and a larger hood) because its a big ass 225 amp HO alt. I am %95 sure I had it mocked up with the stock alt prior to swapping out for the larger one.

I’m not looking to change the hood or other major changes. Trying to keep a stock look as much as possible, so hopefully with the stock alternator, I can make it all work.

Werecow

Reaction score
I’m not looking to change the hood or other major changes. Trying to keep a stock look as much as possible, so hopefully with the stock alternator, I can make it all work.

Check my pic above, that should help w clearance for the valve covers for the alternator.. just a piece of bar stock w a couple of holes will make that a lot easier..

sorscode

Reaction score
I run the stock 94/95 valve covers. If you run the comp magnums 1.6 they clear just fine. I know people like to run the 1.7 but have never seen the need. Every setup I’ve built has run the comp magnum 1.6.

muzzy25

Reaction score
hello gary from new zealand got some edelbrock heads 3/8 studs got 87 alloy 3in tappet covers running stock cam ? what roller rockers are you using to clear covers ? i was looking at 1.7 roller tip?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online