Drilling holes in my exhaust for a little more "flow"?

Photonfanatic

Reaction score
As I've said in another thread, I've had some trouble with my car producing fumes lately. Checked it out, and none of the recommended areas seem to be the culprit. And, inspection time is coming up. I have an 87 Chevy Silverado that has quite a few holes in the exhaust, after the muffler. That thing used to pass inspection with flying colors lol. It had what appeared to be the full stock exhaust, as well. Meaning, it didn't appear that the cat had ever been changed. It would produce less than half of the contaminates than was required to pass. My guess is because of all those holes, in the old exhaust.

Well, say the stang (94 GT) can't pass inspection this go round. We got the sniffer test here in TX. And typically, if you've got bad fumes or oil smoke or whatever, you don't pass. Well, maybe my stang could benefit from a few extra holes in the exhaust, after the muffler? Or perhaps, in the back of the mufflers? Or would that make too much noise? It needs to be quiet, for obvious reasons.

Can't really afford to dump any money into the car right now to fix it. Redoing my house is sucking up all the extra money.

RichV

Reaction score
It would do absolutely nothing for emissions.. Maybe except get exhaust fumes in the interior of your car.

Why do you think it won't pass?

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
You could be having trouble with plugged cats or even a rich/lean condition could wreak havok. Have you ran the codes on your car to check for potential issues? Do you get an emissions reading each time you try? Can you post the results here?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
The test facility should refuse to test the car with any kind of exhaust leak. before or after the cats/mufflers shouldn't matter.
So putting more holes in the exhaust is rediculous and a waste of time.
Also if a car is burning oil, it should have minimal if any effect on the emission reading.

We also have emission sniffer in Atlanta annually.
Get your sniffed then post up the results.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
We have these stupid sniffer things too ... Only for another year . It's a pain to make the bigger cammed cars pass usually have to bump the idle kinda high to getter done

Win

Legend
Reaction score
The test facility should refuse to test the car with any kind of exhaust leak. before or after the cats/mufflers shouldn't matter.
So putting more holes in the exhaust is rediculous and a waste of time.
Also if a car is burning oil, it should have minimal if any effect on the emission reading.

We also have emission sniffer in Atlanta annually.
Get your sniffed then post up the results.

Yep agreed.... Mine passed with flying color when I had the factory chatted h on... I'll throw it back on when I have to go back nxt year to get it done again. They last for a year and I just got this one done in April.

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
Emission here for 96 and up cars only. 95 and below has no kind of exhaust test

* Sent from tapatalk while sitting on the toilet at work*

OP
OP
Photonfanatic

Photonfanatic

Reaction score
Ok I'll try to address most of the replies if I can.

1. My old chevy truck MUST be losing exhaust before it gets to the sniffer. There are so many holes in all the tubing, that there is just no way that all the fumes are getting to the sniffer prod thing. I'm thinking that has to be why it always had less than half of the required emissions. Basically, it only had half the... particulates that you could have, and still pass. I'm trying to understand how you guys are saying that more holes won't help, if they help so much on that old truck. Well, its exempt now, but it used to have to pass.

2. The place I take it to... apparently doesn't really give a rip about the holes. I took that truck there every time and you could tell they just didn't care to look.

3. I will post up the info if the car fails. It smells so bad that if my experience holds true, it will fail. You can't really even sit at a stoplight without it getting awful inside.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Set timing to 10* with the spout out.
Fresh plugs, wires, cap, and rotor.
Clean MAF and IAC.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
In this section of Pa. emissions is a visual. They look for cats, no CEL and a vacuum test on the cap.

Don't drill holes in your exhaust. Fix the problem.

RichV

Reaction score
Part stores also sell fuel additives to help with emissions readings. Look into those, a buddy used them and he said it did the trick.

Do you guys do the dyno-style emissions to simulate a drive test? Or just a sniffer in the tail pipe while its parked?

OP
OP
Photonfanatic

Photonfanatic

Reaction score
We do that Dyno style thing. I forgot about RXP, I'll give that a try in the gas tank. It helped me pass a time or two.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Part stores also sell fuel additives to help with emissions readings. Look into those, a buddy used them and he said it did the trick.

Do you guys do the dyno-style emissions to simulate a drive test? Or just a sniffer in the tail pipe while its parked?

We have the dyno thing in Ga. too.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I love rural TN where everyone runs straight pipes and does burn-outs at every intersection. Fawk ya preeus!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alleghenyamerican

Members online