Education is expensive

maillemaker

Reaction score
So I've had this 1995 Mustang GT about 2-3 months now, I guess. It's in great shape for being 28 years old. But, naturally, it's 28 years old, so things happen.

Last week the air conditioner quit working. Compressor wouldn't spin. I took it into my usual shop, and they called and said it was working fine. I go to pick it up after hours, no AC again.

I did some YouTube University and discovered that some people were able to get the compressor going again by bypassing the low pressure switch with a paperclip. I figured probably the system was low on refrigerant and this was stopping the pressure switch. So, I bypassed the LPS. Sure enough, the compressor came on. I hooked up an A/C Pro electric "filler upper" with a can of R134A and it was reading low, so I added a can of refrigerant.

AC worked for a day and quit working again. My assumption was that there was a serious coolant leak and now the LPS was stopping the compressor again.

I actually almost replaced the CCRM. Placed the order for it and it arrived at O'Reilly's but I decided I was going to take it in since it was probably losing coolant. Returned the part.

Took it into a different shop. I like the shop - they have a very nice electronic comms system that texts you updates on your vehicle real-time, including pictures. Email you your estimate that you can approve online.

So the shop communicates that the AC worked fine again. They put a gauge on it and said the system was overcharged. Put dye in the system and said the compressor was leaking.

Price to replace compressor: $1200. OK, do it.

They do.

Get another comms from shop: We replaced compressor and now it doesn't work. More investigation - CCRM needed replacing.

Final bill: $1600.

For years now I have been threatening to get a set of gauges an learn how to crack open AC systems. I never do because it's like a once-every-10-years project. Could have replaced the CCRM myself for $117.

Expensive lesson.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Even though I am A/C certified I will tell do it yourself and learn the system save yourself money
Some of theses shops are lazy in the whole proseger from evacuation to to leak down test to adding freion and oil and what ever else
Some don't know the systems very well
Changes are always being made on the systems

OP
OP
M

maillemaker

Reaction score
Even though I am A/C certified I will tell do it yourself and learn the system save yourself money
Some of theses shops are lazy in the whole proseger from evacuation to to leak down test to adding freion and oil and what ever else
Some don't know the systems very well
Changes are always being made on the systems
Yeah, it's always a concern when you take an old vehicle into a repair shop today. Most of the kids working on the vehicles weren't even alive when our cars were made.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
the one that gets me is
whats R-12
whats freeze 12

back in the day i was loading up on the R-12 just hanging on to it
thought there was going to be an end to freion
then came freeze 12 out of the blue
i still have a few cans of R-12 left some where

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

maillemaker

Reaction score
Wait. What is freeze 12?

I had my 1990 Ford Econoline RV converted to 134 because no more freon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online