Eleanor & I

EleanorSN95

Reaction score
okay, im young, dumb(still smart) but i love Mustangs... i want to learn everything about cars and become a mechanic and possibly a performance driver(sport)... so i recently bought my first sports car 1996 Mustang GT 5speed . i have so much things wrong that are not BIG issues but more like pains in the butt... thatll sooner or later lead to big issues... (hope u understand that) sooo, basically im new to this forum, i just want to see if i like this, get familiar with this. Because you admins are going to want to almost give me my own section where i can come and ask questions all day haha. but thaks, and please bear with me, im learning... i just need help with things cause i am the type of mechanic that doesnt like to pay a shop or something to do the work that i can just do myself...im a young guy with an old attitude, and my older uncles and grandfathers would say they did have all this new tech and shops to go to always. so im going to start doing things on my own. just let me know where its okay to post stuff and where not, i dont want to irratate anyone. we are all car enthusiasts & we stick together. please and thankyou

#StangGang

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums, all I can say is read up on all you can. This is the place to learn, ask questions and not get flamed. People around here are awesome. Just remember to fix all the safety issues before modding, good luck!

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Welcome.

Stay out of the pushrod section they are dirty.....lol

Feel free to ask away if you're not sure what section one of the mods will move it if you ask them to in your post....

Its easier to modify a good running car.... so iron ourt your ssues ahead of time.

#stangbang (giggidy)

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Welcome to your new home. Alot can be learned here and these guys ^ are chunked full of knowledge willing to be taught. Just ask away....youll get the right answer here at sn95

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Welcome to the madness.
Most all issues have been covered on here before so try using the search feature first.
BTW ignore that pushrod comment above.:tongue3:

OP
OP
E

EleanorSN95

Reaction score
okay thanks! i just did something really bad so now im guessing im about to dive into the clutch replacement thread :( But thanks everyone, ill be using this to learn how to do this replacement on my own... "/

GrumpyBadger

Reaction score
alright, I'm a new guy to this forum too, but this ain't my first rodeo, and the 5.0 is probably the engine I've spent the most time around.:D

First off, you're going to want to read. And read ALOT. There's a ton of books out there, and tons of free things like http://www.mustangandfords.com/ which has a TON of old articles and such from all the pertinent Mustang magazines. I started out with magazines at about 12 years old, learned the "market trends" and the "trendy stuff" and then when I was 17 I felt ready to dive into my first car. We ended up going with a 1969 El Camino. Chevy at the time (late 90s) was way cheaper to work on than Ford, and parts were in easy supply. Good news: Your Mustang has even easier supply of aftermarket parts and NOS than I ever saw for my Elky back then.

As the others have said, take a look around, read up on tons of things. And please, don't go looking for handouts of "hey, my clutch is dumping and I have no clue" :D whereas a thread with something like "so, I've checked the linkages, replaced the clutch pads, and checked the fly out, and it's STILL dumping" goes a LONG way. I'm not much older than you, but I was pre all this EPIC forum stuff. The amount of info available is huge, and it's not too hard to go looking for it, and trying things out.

Worst case scenario, if your gut says "maybe I should ask" ASK!! :D It's saved me a couple times. But always try to be as educated as you can before asking. One, it makes it easier for people that don't have access to your car to try and get a better picture, and two, it shows you truly care in a way, because you're already trying things on your own.

you'll fall flat on your face. Believe me, it'll happen, and it'll happen again and again. I can build engines in my sleep now, and yet, start making me troubleshoot electronics and yeah... lots of my friends Sam, Jack, or Johnny come out to visit during the course of those nights :D

most importantly, you're here. you've found a place dedicated to your car. That is PRICELESS. And it shows already that "extra step" I talked about earlier.

Also, you need any help, dose of realities (I've been 220mph, 9sec 1/4, drove 1:42 in a kit car around LagunaSeca, and had a daily driver 11 second El Camino) I'm here. Just PM me with anything you need and we can go from there. I'm just a hobby greasemonkey though, decided the job ain't it for me... well, it's a long story, but to put it plainly I'm NOT a mechanic, but I've been around the block. I'm just excited to see kids caring about the wicked cars of my days like I was all over the General Lee and Bandit when I was your age.

last words of advice, I promise

"when in doubt, take it off the car, look at it, try to figure out what it is in the Haynes manual, and put it back on the car." - best advice I ever got.

and "rock on!" :headbang:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online