Engine wouldn't reach normal temp

OP
OP
KidWithAGT

KidWithAGT

Reaction score
I changed my thermostat when i replaced my head gaskets, and I saw plenty of people say they ran a 180 thermostat. If I remember right it was also easier for me to get a 180, so I went with it. I know it's not just the thermostat keeping temps low though, it ran perfectly fine for a while before this fan issue popped up.

OP
OP
KidWithAGT

KidWithAGT

Reaction score
Not sure if it means anything, but it seems like any time I disconnect and reconnect the battery the fan issue goes away for two starts and returns on the third. It's done this a couple times now as I've been working on things.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Sounds like a loose connection problem. The only thing that's changing from time to time is just moving a battery cable around and disconnecting/reconnecting it.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you are not disconnecting it just by hand and with no tools are you? The only time I ever had a similar situation was long long ago when I was still young I didn't tighten the + battery cable enough. I could still wiggle it just a little bit but being young I figured it was metal to metal so good enough for government work. It took about 3 days for enough corrosion/resistance to build up to where it would not charge so I would pop the hood, wiggle the connection and it would clean it up enough to let it start.

OP
OP
KidWithAGT

KidWithAGT

Reaction score
No of course not, I promise I'm not that dumb haha. The leads each have an 8mm bolt to loosen/tighten them. I just usually disconnect the battery while poking around in electrical stuff.

OP
OP
KidWithAGT

KidWithAGT

Reaction score
So further testing and such seems to show that the fan is now turning on early as opposed to turning on all the time. It could also be switching between always on and on too early. Either way it has the same effect on the temperature. At this point, I really have no idea what's going on. My current plan is to get a 195 degree thermostat so that it should stay warm enough no matter how much the fan runs. I suppose my only major concern there is the fan motor dying. As far as my battery light goes, it doesn't seem like there's any issues with the battery or alternator. The battery leads are tight, the charging voltage is good, and the grounds are clean enough to eat off of. Everything except the fan is working like I'd expect. So until something else happens I'm going to pretend this battery light is just reminding me that the battery is still there. Maybe I'll just take the bulb out of the dash so the problems go away.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you take the bulb out the car will beep at you for 30 secs every time you start it to warn you that a warning light is out. I thought I remembered reading about a resistor or something in some of the sn's dashes that could be a problem but it has been a while so hopefully someone that has been through it will remember

badass98svt

Reaction score
if you take the bulb out the car will beep at you for 30 secs every time you start it to warn you that a warning light is out. I thought I remembered reading about a resistor or something in some of the sn's dashes that could be a problem but it has been a while so hopefully someone that has been through it will remember

That's not the case for the "brake" light in the dash. I bet the battery light is the same too. No beep.
I've never heard of these cars beeping for 30 seconds before they are started.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well ya got me I just made it up for funzies.

A simple go around is just to stick some electrical tape on the back of the gauge where the light shines through.

07GtS197

Reaction score
The car will beep at you if the airbag like is triggered and the bulb is out.

I’m pretty sure the bulb needs to be there. Isn’t it part of the charging circuit? I’m pretty sure that’s the case with older fords.

OP
OP
KidWithAGT

KidWithAGT

Reaction score
Speaking of that actually, does anyone know of a diagram of the charging circuit and the bulb? Might be useful to know exactly how the bulb is connected to everything to figure out why it's on.

95opal

Reaction score
Speaking of that actually, does anyone know of a diagram of the charging circuit and the bulb? Might be useful to know exactly how the bulb is connected to everything to figure out why it's on.

Mustang-94-95-instrument-cluster (1).gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter