Finished engine swapped, no crank?

Norcalxsole

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just recently finished my swap. I have 1997 GT, unfortunately it doesn't start up. I made sure all the wire harness were connected. At first I would thought it would by my starter but I was able to start my engine messing with my solenoid. I let it idle to see if I have any further problems, but so far it was healthy and idling fine.

My problem is, since i was able to crank the engine messing with my solenoid why doesn't it crank when I turn my key? I quickly assume it was a PATs problem. When I use my key, it didn't crank at all. I took it to Ford Dealership to reprogram my key. I got a call back saying they weren't able to connect to the computer of the car. Is there any other ways I should look into in order to get this car back on the road?

blackdemon007

Reaction score
Reason for the swap? Did the car start up before the swap? Full swap or partial?

blackdemon007

Reaction score
Don't have any experience with the pats system, so could be that. But it sounds like the starter to me. Possibly arcing out on something. Did you check all the fuses inside and out?

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Norcalxsole

Norcalxsole

Reaction score
Don't have any experience with the pats system, so could be that. But it sounds like the starter to me. Possibly arcing out on something. Did you check all the fuses inside and out?

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

I checked all the fuses in and out. I was thinking it was the PAT system, that's why i dropped it off to my local Ford Dealership in the first place. They called me that they aren't able to reprogram my keys. I didn't clearly understand what he has to say due to his accent. But heard something about module, but not quite which module he's talking about.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The dealer wont do you any good....gonna have to get with a tuner to turn off the PATS cause thats what it sounds like. Dont hold me to it, but it the key is dead, the computer wont let anything happen. And its typical after any engine swap......heck its typical just shutting the car off and getting back it to go......but only no go!

I think some guys on here have stated they were on vacation miles from home and the PATS happened.

OP
OP
Norcalxsole

Norcalxsole

Reaction score
The dealer wont do you any good....gonna have to get with a tuner to turn off the PATS cause thats what it sounds like. Dont hold me to it, but it the key is dead, the computer wont let anything happen. And its typical after any engine swap......heck its typical just shutting the car off and getting back it to go......but only no go!

I think some guys on here have stated they were on vacation miles from home and the PATS happened.

alright I'll try to tow my car to a tuner then. I'm going back to the dealer ship tomorrow morning to see the problems they're facing.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Did you swap JUST the motor, or did you do the engine, engine harness, computer harness, computer, dash harness, IE a Full wiring harness swap to the entire car?

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question, but I assume the 12v IGN wire to the starter is connected? Not the think battery fed cable, but rather the 12V smaller wire that flips the solenoid on to pull power from the battery cable.

DFG_magic

Reaction score
old PATS needs a parameter reset to marry with the new PCM. Did you swap your old pcm with the PI computer? If so, the PATS module in the car needs to be married with the replacement PCM. You probably have a P1260 Theft Detected code in the PCM.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
any chance maybe you missed a ground? You could test this by simply making a ground from the chassis to the block temporarily and see if it helps.

Jgehret

Reaction score
Maybe you should dump the codes and see what pops up. Does the theft light blink any codes with the key on?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am still confused about the coil. What were you doing to the solenoid that it cranked. Did you just touch the input/output wires going to it together?

DFG_magic

Reaction score
Sounds like he's bypassing the PATS and the trigger at the CCRM and fuse box to start the car. Probing power right on the solenoid hot lead at the starter.

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
also dont forget the harness off the main engine bay compartment. its often overlooked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online