FNG With A Alternator Bracker Bolt Issue

BillG

Reaction score
Hi folks. Just picked up a 95 Mustang Convertible that is going to be a project it looks like so here's a little intel. Previous owner either took the stock GT motor out and put in a Cobra motor or bolted on SVT Heads and the GT/40 Cobra intake and throttle body. Cant get to block numbers to tell but I do know it started as a GT from factory. So here's my issue. The young man whom owned it before blew a head gasket and installed new head gasket and got over whelmed and sold the car to a friend and this is where I come in. I have completed the manifold install with new injectors (No Help From Ford On Proper Injectors) and I'm in the process of putting it all back together. Hit road block on valve cover bolts (missing a couple so have to find stock replacements) and the wrong intake top end gasket so decided to start bolting on the front belt assemblies. Power steering and AC went on ok, found the assembly that holds smog and alternator and was going to bolt it on when something didn't seem right. The bolt in the center behind or below the tensioner pulley had a threaded part on it behind the brace that the bolt was running thru but not moving. Upon looking at it closer it looks to be a threaded insert used in the block to hold the in the block and it apparently broke the tip of the insert as it came out with the bolt and the young person just kept backing it out till it thread its way into the bracket. After a small tap with a 5lb hammer got it loose. Now the journey to find out what it was and where do I find replacement cause I'm sure ford's not gonna be much help at all when I call them.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
First off, welcome to the forum.

Would you happen to have any pictures of this setup and what you’re trying to replace?

I am more familiar with modular stuff, maybe someone with ultimate push rod knowledge will know exactly what you’re talking about and chime in.

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score

Would you happen to have any pictures of this setup and what you’re trying to replace?

I am more familiar with modular stuff, maybe someone with ultimate push rod knowledge will know exactly what you’re talking about and chime in.

I have a picture on my phone of the brace with the plug still attached before I knocked it loose and out. Will post in sec. Thanks for the reply

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
8BA52381-DC3B-4431-AB8C-66197AA1D33D.jpeg

Here's the pic of the back of the bracket with the plug insert that was backed out into the bracket.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I don’t know if that is supposed to be there, it looks like a regular old heli-coil. I thought those holes were supposed to be straight through and bolt to the head.

If it’s supposed to be like that, you could get another helicoil and install it, or maybe just clean that bracket and insert really well install some red loctite on the insert and screw it back in to the hole.

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
I don’t know if that is supposed to be there, it looks like a regular old heli-coil. I thought those holes were supposed to be straight through and bolt to the head.

If it’s supposed to be like that, you could get another helicoil and install it, or maybe just clean that bracket and insert really well install some red loctite on the insert and screw it back in to the hole.

Just got off phone with ford dealer. It is a reducer for the head so it can except the bolt for the bracket. Like all Parts apparently for these cars I'm gonna have to search the inter-web for parts LOL. Cant even help with valve cover bolts LOL.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah salvage yards would be your quickest easiest bet on that. There should be a few that already have the alternators missing so you can get to it easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online