Getting my shopping list together.. But..

sn95jones

Reaction score
So been tossing ideas on what to do to my 04 Sonic Blue Vert.
I've decided to go for the Saleen conversion, always was a HUGE fan of the look of the Saleens and the Sonic Blue Saleen is just flat out sexy...

Anyway my question to you guys is this....
A authentic Saleen kit with the side scoops and spoiler runs about $2,160 straight from Saleen. VIS sells the same kit for a MUCH cheaper cost.. $937 actually to be exact. So do you guys think it's worth giving the VIS kit a shot?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
$1200 difference to be installed onto a non authentic saleen car(saleen clone)

Yes its worth giving VIS a shot

OP
OP
sn95jones

sn95jones

Reaction score
Kinda what I was thinking only downside is it's fiberglass and not polyurethane.
Here's the look I'm going for

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The fiberglass looks sweet! Alot of cars had fiberglass under pinnings and worked fine. If the car is your daily driver....no way to fiberglass. No flexibility and breaks. The urathane kit, imho, is your better bet.

Cpotts13

Reaction score
Urethane all the way. I like the rear bumper without the "saleen" on it, after all.... it isn't a saleen.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
One thing to consider with the stiffness of fiber glass. Any imperfections in fitment will be noticable and interesting to fix. Not saying urethane will fit better but its def more flexable.

As far as it saying saleen. If its that big of an issue maybe you can mix and match to your likings. The fiberglass rear wont be too much of an issue like a front would be.

OP
OP
sn95jones

sn95jones

Reaction score
Urethane all the way. I like the rear bumper without the "saleen" on it, after all.... it isn't a saleen.
True I see your point there
One thing to consider with the stiffness of fiber glass. Any imperfections in fitment will be noticable and interesting to fix. Not saying urethane will fit better but its def more flexable.

As far as it saying saleen. If its that big of an issue maybe you can mix and match to your likings. The fiberglass rear wont be too much of an issue like a front would be.
Yeah I'm gonna go with the urethane kit just because it's going to be easier to work with with installation and removal.

I'm definitely gonna go with the Urethane kit that does not say "Saleen" I'm still gonna be doing the Saleen decals on the side and on the windshield. By the time I'm done there car will look like an authentic Saleen. Will even be supercharged.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I honestly like the smoothed no letter rear bumpers the best.

While I am sure buying oem Saleen parts might feel better, their actual quality has been suspect for years. Quality Control is not something they are known for and many people have vented on these forums about fitment over the years.

That being said I still want a friggen Saleen because I just do.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would expect to pay more in body work to get the cheaper kit to fit perfectly unless you just want to throw it up there. I am not saying there will be $1200 worth of labor by any means, nor am I saying if you had the saleen kit that it would absolutely bolt up perfectly. You never know what the car has been through, what panels are off a little here/there until you start bolting the pieces up.

OP
OP
sn95jones

sn95jones

Reaction score
I honestly like the smoothed no letter rear bumpers the best.

While I am sure buying oem Saleen parts might feel better, their actual quality has been suspect for years. Quality Control is not something they are known for and many people have vented on these forums about fitment over the years.

That being said I still want a friggen Saleen because I just do.
True, I stay on the fence between the two because of the reputation they have for fitment. I'd love to have the authentic Saleen kit purely for if I ever get asked I can say that everything is 100% Saleen, but still on the fence.
I would expect to pay more in body work to get the cheaper kit to fit perfectly unless you just want to throw it up there. I am not saying there will be $1200 worth of labor by any means, nor am I saying if you had the saleen kit that it would absolutely bolt up perfectly. You never know what the car has been through, what panels are off a little here/there until you start bolting the pieces up.
I hear that but thankfully my buddy who owns a body shop is actually hooking me up for $600 on paint and intallation. Basically he's doing the install for free.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I paid $600 just to have my side exhaust skirts painted and installed, and this was at maaco. I told them that I was going to be keeping it the car for a very very long time and I did not want double stick tape and wanted the job done right so they went a little further then most to mount them and it was worth every cent now 7 yrs later they are still rock solid on the car. Right now I have $500 wrapped up just in paint/clear/chemicals and that was for a medium grade paint. Not sure what he is planning on using or how long you plan on keeping this one, or how good of a friend he is an how big of a favor you will owe him but if I had friend doing a $600 install/paint job on my car I would be riding him to be sure its all legit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.