Harbor Freight and tools in general

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My dad recently the Ridgid 18 volt impact driver and drill set. For Christmas I got him their 1/2" impact. They claim to have a lifetime warranty on the batteries. That's immense. Ridgid makes good stuff anyhow.

The bad thing about battery powered stuff is once you start getting battery powered stuff, they pretty much get your goat, and you're stuck with that brand short of spending an exorbitant amount of money to change brands.

Also, Dewalt battery powered stuff is excellent. I used to use it day in and day out when I worked at the factory. Never had an issue and great battery life. The cells on my Hitachi batteries are crap. The batteries will work great one day, then with no warning they will never hold a charge again.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
I ended up with Dewalt over 20 years ago when I almost ran over what looked like a briefcase in downtown Ft. Worth. Brand new Dewalt 14.4v drill. There was a big jobsite a block away, tried to find the owner. Foreman said leave it with him and he would take care of it, but I was smart enough to just leave my number and said if anybody could tell me what the make and model was they could have it. Never got a call! Still runs great. Found a clean set with a drill and trim saw at a pawn shop for $50 a few years back, nabbed those puppies. Hard finding other 12v Dewalt tools in good shape, but when what I have dies I guess I'll stick with Dewalt.

Last edited:

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve used dewalt power tools for over 15 years. Still have my original 18v xrp and it still makes more torque than any other brand I’ve used. The batteries on it wore out but I used it all day every day for years drilling brick and block for cameras and stuff. I recently seen the adapter to use lithium with it but I just let it sit. I have all newer lithium tools now and most are brushless. I love all the new stuff and we beat the hell out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
Snap On: The leader in basic hand tools. Their power tools leave alot to be desired. Especially their warranty.
Milwaukee: The leader in power tools. Hands down. The absolute best. They recently bought out a company that had patented a line of wrenches. So, they have expanded quite a bit into the basic hand tool market. Look out for these guys. I go Milwaukee every time.

Oh....hey. What's up SN95forums?

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Snap On: The leader in basic hand tools. Their power tools leave alot to be desired. Especially their warranty.
Milwaukee: The leader in power tools. Hands down. The absolute best. They recently bought out a company that had patented a line of wrenches. So, they have expanded quite a bit into the basic hand tool market. Look out for these guys. I go Milwaukee every time.

Brooooooooo!! Where you been???

Wood's 5.0

Reaction score
Milwaukee is, IMO, hands-down the best power tool out there and also the most expensive. Snap-On is, IMO, the best hand tool out there and also the most expensive. However, there are several manufacturers that produce quality tools and some of the determination of who makes the best of anything will boil down to personal preference. Like a lot of people I, too, was raised on Craftsman tools and felt like, for the money, it was a "best buy" for a non-professional enthusiast like me. I'm 50 and my dad has Craftsman tools that I remember as a little boy that he still uses so that says something about their reliability. Over the years, I have amassed a fairly large amount of tools, the vast majority of which are Craftsman, and they have indeed served me well. However, as of late and especially since Sears is going tits-up with no open store near me, I have been leaning towards the Kobalt line from Lowe's. They seem to be of comparable quality to the Craftsman line and feel pretty good in the hand. I just bought a 227-piece set of the Kobalt mechanics tools for the car trailer. Yep, Hecho in China but the Craftsman set right beside it, half the size for the same money had Taiwan stamped all over it. Is the quality of the Craftsman set that much better? IMO, not twice the price better. Both have a lifetime guarantee although I hope to never have to use it. Breaking a tool is aggravating to say the least. Couple that with having to go and get another one adds expense and lost time to the situation so hopefully breakage is something you don't have to worry about in the first place. If you do, I guess it's good to have that guarantee but I would consider a better quality tool to start with. No, I'm not a professional mechanic but I do want a quality tool that will last more than just one project and provide a comfortable work experience while using it. The "Hopeful Freight" (as someone above put it; LOL!) stuff is really a hit-and-miss. Some stuff like pry bars, socket extensions, and maybe impact sockets might be alright to use but I would stay away from any of their tools that require any degree of precision in tolerance or output (torque wrench, dial indicators, multi-meter, etc.) If it is going to be a disposable purchase then you know up front what you're getting but if you want the the tool you plan on buying to last and give you years of reliable service then it may pay to consider purchasing a better quality tool from the start. That said, to quote Snap-On: "There is a difference". Question is do you want to pay the difference in price for the difference in quality and where it's made?

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
I just took back one of the HF ratchet sets, the $3.99 specials. The ratchet didn't work. The box had a "lifetime guarantee" tag on it and they actually honored it. That it was a brand new set, used once and crapped out first time, shows the quality control (or lack of it) on the low end stuff. Lifetime guarantee is nice, but if you keep having to drop everything in the middle of a project when something breaks and all you get back is another POS that will break too...

RedTwilight

Reaction score
I've been using the Kobalt brand of hand tools and power tools from Lowes for almost 15 years now. Never had a problem with them.
Of course my 10% employee discount was the deciding factor at the time of purchase.
I'm not a professional by any means, but I have put them through a lot on my '93, my Cobra, and my Ranger truck. As well as on my friends and my girlfriends' vehicles.

I am very pleased with the brand for all that I've needed them for.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score

I used to sell Snap On tools for a company owned route, for the amount of times I sent back the same air tools over and over I can attest that they didn't seem to hold up as well as they were advertised. Many of the old timers would tell me they had the same Ingersol-Rand air impacts for years without issues.

I own quite a few snap on cordless and hand tools, they're great products in my experience but I don't use them daily like a professional mechanic. Some are worth the high price tag but a lot of their products are too expensive to justify.

Harbor freight comes in handy for things I've had low expectations for. I've also been surprised at the life some of the stuff I've bought there has. I probably wouldn't shop there often for items I was trying to make a living with though.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What people often forget about Snap-On and other truck tool companies is that you're paying extra for the convenience of them coming to you with your replacements and such.

That said, I need to find a Snap-On man because I have a few broken ratchets.

+1 on Ingersoll Rand for air tools. Jon Beast used to be a rep for them as I recall. Their air tools are tough to beat.

I'll probably get a larger air compressor soon, and admittedly will probably go with Kobalt because of the Lowe's convenience factor.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
FWIW, I'm in the calibration field and have calibrated all kinds of meters, torque wrenches, micrometers, etc. While I would make fun of the Harbor Freight stuff coming through my lab, I don't remember one ever failing. My biggest gripe was usually being unable to find a tolerance for something like a clamp on meter. But I've calibrated quite a few of their torque wrenches and they were always in spec. Same with the micrometers. I had a buddy check mine a few months ago and they were still in spec. Granted I don't use them a whole lot and they're always kept in a case and never dropped. But it's food for thought.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
For me, an amateur parts replacer, Snap-On tools are overkill. Kinda like expensive wine, anything over $10 a bottle is wasted on me. I hit garage sales and such and have found deals on them, sold them for a tidy profit, and used the money to buy Mustang parts. Picked up a set of shorty metric box offsets lst year that looked brand new for $35 at a garage sale, sold them for over $200 on ebay. Estate sale last weekend up the street spend $5 on a handful of tools, mostly craftsman wrenches and sockets but also a Snap-On 1/4 ratchet. Cleaned it and lubed it up. Not pretty, but it works. I'll probably sell it for $5 at a Ford swap meet I have coming up, meaning the rest of the tools cost me nothing. Bought a small box of tools for cheap at a garage sale and once I cleaned them off found a set of Cornwell security Torx bits, the kind needed for the anti-theft bolt holding the Mustang on the front of our cars.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the tamper proof torx bits come in the big harbor frieght bit set that I think costs $12-15? I will get those there as they are going to be lost and they are generally not tight enough to worry about breaking them. Don't be afraid to check out pawn shops next time your looking for tools.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Yeller, how many percent off are the harbor freight torque wrenches?
The last in-lb. wrench I calibrated was dead nuts on. And that was after being mailed in a box. The 1/2" drive was less than a ft-lb off from nominal. I was checking them for a buddy.

But I do like to point out if you take care of the wrenches they last. My 150ft-lb Craftsman wrench is well over 40 years old. My grandfather owned it before I came along and gave it to me close to 20 years ago. Maybe more because I was still in the Navy. It's been adjusted once since I've owned it. Its always in tolerance. But I back it off after each use and keep it lubed.

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
the tamper proof torx bits come in the big harbor frieght bit set that I think costs $12-15? I will get those there as they are going to be lost and they are generally not tight enough to worry about breaking them. Don't be afraid to check out pawn shops next time your looking for tools.

Yep, I have the HF security torx bits to go to the boneyard with me. I have a bag of older lower end tools that I don't get too upset if I lose. The Cornwells will be sold.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I actually use a combination of Husky and Stanley tools and have been satisfied with both. Also both have lifetime warrenties, though I just found out about the latter. I am a shadetree mechanic but some of my tools get used pretty hard sometimes. I have an old adjustable wrench I like to use and abuse thats still going strong. I even used to on my 98 p71 when I replaced the pitman arm and had to beat the hell out of it with my mini sledge hammer to get the damn nut off lol. And trust me that thing took a hell of a beating during that time lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online