Head gasket questions

Reaction score
I just replaced my head gasket and not knowingly ran it with a leaking t stat housing and she got hot.. Long story short my head gasket is leaking exhaust into my coolant and vice versa. Do i really have to have my heads milled again? I just had them done 2 weeks ago.I think its leaking cause i forgot to put gasket sealer on the ehad gasket. Im running a fel-pro 9333 gasket.

95opal

Reaction score
Always i good idea to have them checked. That said a strait edge a feeler guages will give you a clue

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Usually the gaskets hold on just fine, its the darn torque to yield bolts that give up causing the gasket damage.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Well, arp usually stand up. Its not like arp to heat stretch, but i wouldn't rule it out. Ive seen stranger things! It sux zbout the added work you gotta do. Once a headgasket goes, there is no return.

Were the surfaces prepped? Do you know the surface roughness finish ?...RA #

OP
OP

Reaction score
Well, arp usually stand up. Its not like arp to heat stretch, but i wouldn't rule it out. Ive seen stranger things! It sux zbout the added work you gotta do. Once a headgasket goes, there is no return.

Were the surfaces prepped? Do you know the surface roughness finish ?...RA #

Block was cleaned with a razor blade and heads were almost mirror finish

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Odd, composites tend to seal pretty easy. When you pull the heads check with a straight edge to see the condition of the heads and the block aswell. If both check out you should be good to re-install. Do you plan on re-using the ARP head bolts?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Not saying composite is the culprit, buuuuuut you just cant go wrong with mls.

OP
OP

Reaction score
Odd, composites tend to seal pretty easy. When you pull the heads check with a straight edge to see the condition of the heads and the block aswell. If both check out you should be good to re-install. Do you plan on re-using the ARP head bolts?
I have a fresh set of fel-pro head bolts. I’ve never seen a steel block warp though. It’s a stock bottom end

98snakehorse

Reaction score
I have a fresh set of fel-pro head bolts. I’ve never seen a steel block warp though. It’s a stock bottom end

Right wouldnt hurt to check in case its gotten very hot before. Since the heads are coming off anyway wouldnt be the worst idea.

OP
OP

Reaction score
Right wouldnt hurt to check in case its gotten very hot before. Since the heads are coming off anyway wouldnt be the worst idea.

Compression tested every cylinder they all came back to 150+ cold. Average being around 160 lowest being 150. Head gasket can’t be blown can it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online