Help me get my audio system together!

BruhBrahBrad

Reaction score
So my goal for my system is to have clarity, bass, and not much rattle.... I plan on sound deadening my whole interior and trunk, replacing all inside speakers, and im looking for a shallow mount 10" because I have a box made for a 94-04 that fits in the right corner of the trunk...

I currently have An Alpine UTE-52BT deck that I'll be running until I convert to a double din set up or maybe a tablet

My car already has the mach 460 system, I want to replace the tweeters as well, all 4.

1) what tweeters will fit in the stock locations
2) im looking for good speakers at a good price
3) Im not sure whether I need to amplify the insides, I kinda want to though.
4) I have a sub and amp right now but I plan on getting rid of that stuff, been problematic
5) How much Sound deadening is needed to do the doors, floor, trunk and rear seat area? IN a convertible.... I'll probably get some extra for the a pillars and where the visors go cause I know they vibrate.

Basically I dont know too much about putting audio components together and I need help, most of the music that I listen to is rap, but I still want it to sound clean.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
1.) if your looking for a direct replacement there really isn't any that will bolt in. Ford used an over sized tweeter so finding a direct replacemnt is hard but it is not that hard to make a bracket to mount to the pod and make the tweeter mount to the bracket.
2.)what is a good price for you? What is the budget?
3.)amps are good but you can always just amp the sub and play the speakers from the deck and get better sound.
4.) ok try to match the size of the enclosure to what the new sub recomends. You can always make the enclosure smaller by taking up space inside and add some polyfill to help it feel bigger to the sub but that is a band aid for an improperly matched sub to its enclosure.

5.)you can probably use as much as you will spend on it, again depends on the budget. There are a number of good names to use I like second skin myself.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
actually the woofers I thought were 8 ohm but the tweeters 4 but its been years since I paid attention to them. Beyond the impedence difference you will have a hard time finding a 2.5" tweeter. They are normally either 3", or much smaller 1"-1.5". In all honesty the mirror is not that great of a location as it means the tweeter is 1/2 the distance to your ear as the woofer. I am not using that location for my stereo instead I mounted the speaker for my remote radar system there. Its perfect for that as even with the window down, stereo on that speaker is now between my speakers an my ear.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
My suggestion, replace all locations with quality components and over power them. Unless youre wanting to fab up new locations, the exsisting locations and sound reproduction with in the cab is about as good as it gets. Most quality components are designed for off axis sound cause they know where they are going.

Take for instance my setup in the van, I got 3 3.5" co-axials lined up on each pillar and a 1k watt amp running them. Tune them correctly, they will scream!
Youll fill the cab with sound real good!

OP
OP
B

BruhBrahBrad

Reaction score
1.) if your looking for a direct replacement there really isn't any that will bolt in. Ford used an over sized tweeter so finding a direct replacemnt is hard but it is not that hard to make a bracket to mount to the pod and make the tweeter mount to the bracket.
2.)what is a good price for you? What is the budget?
3.)amps are good but you can always just amp the sub and play the speakers from the deck and get better sound.
4.) ok try to match the size of the enclosure to what the new sub recomends. You can always make the enclosure smaller by taking up space inside and add some polyfill to help it feel bigger to the sub but that is a band aid for an improperly matched sub to its enclosure.

5.)you can probably use as much as you will spend on it, again depends on the budget. There are a number of good names to use I like second skin myself.

Ok so we'll just keep the list going

1) Would I be ok just running bass blockers on the stock tweeters? Right now they catch bass and I hate it, but they do the job otherwise.
2) I really dont wanna spend more than $100/pair
3)Sounds good, but why would that give better sound over an amplified speaker setup.
4)I really dont know if thats possible, I noted in the beginning its a premade box, that fits in the right corner of the trunk, I tried to mount my regular 10" in there it didnt fit because of the outside ring, so I figured I'll be needing a shallow mount type sub.. I was thinking about just getting the SM version of my Kicker comp, any other recommendations that arent more than like $150?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Ok so we'll just keep the list going

1) Would I be ok just running bass blockers on the stock tweeters? Right now they catch bass and I hate it, but they do the job otherwise.
2) I really dont wanna spend more than $100/pair
3)Sounds good, but why would that give better sound over an amplified speaker setup.
4)I really dont know if thats possible, I noted in the beginning its a premade box, that fits in the right corner of the trunk, I tried to mount my regular 10" in there it didnt fit because of the outside ring, so I figured I'll be needing a shallow mount type sub.. I was thinking about just getting the SM version of my Kicker comp, any other recommendations that arent more than like $150?

1.) yes get some 1000 microfarad capacitors, wired in series on the tweeters and it will take the bass out and sound much better.
2.) there are a lot of options under $100 for a 6.5 or 5 x 7 that would fit in the door. Have you listened to any speakers that you liked previously?
3.)the stock amps are old and suck. Its not that old amps suck in general but these really were not made to be the best.
4.)again we can't really recomend a sub for a box we do not know the specs on. You need to be looking at the airspace requirements for the subs to try and get them as close as you can to the box size or it will not matter what amp you have driving it, it will sound bad.

PinkieT

Reaction score
Pulled a tweeter. Not marked, but my VOM tested it to 3.8 ohms to let's call it 4 ohm. Hole is about 2 1/2 inch, depth of stock tweeter is 1.25 inch.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
When I replaced the stock tweeters I traced the large stock tweeter housing on cardboard and placed the 1" alpine tweeter within that cardboard template. I even put the screws through the cardboard like the stock tweeter and it held up for over decade.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online