Mach 460 No audio Bad front amp?

badass98svt

Reaction score
If it were me. I'd just pull all the Mach stuff and run everything new. It's really pretty simple.
Either power the new speakers off the internal amp of the radio, or a separate amp. Whichever you choose.
I'd buy a pair of separates for up front and some 6x8s for the rear, with a 4 or 5 channel amp (5 channel allows you to add a sub)
No matter how you slice it, the Mach stuff is not so good, especially 25-30 years later

Last edited:

Call me Chief

Reaction score
Going to find the local car audio shop and see what they can sell me. Tried doing my own car audio install many years ago and quickly realized that is not in my skillset. Where would I even put a subwoofer in the convertible if I want to keep the back seat?

badass98svt

Reaction score
Going to find the local car audio shop and see what they can sell me. Tried doing my own car audio install many years ago and quickly realized that is not in my skillset. Where would I even put a subwoofer in the convertible if I want to keep the back seat?
In the trunk
Talk to your local shop. If you have the cash I would go with...
Component set up front
6x8s out back
Sub in trunk
5 channel amp.

Call me Chief

Reaction score
I will think about that but not sure. When I first started driving 8 tracks were the deal. Then we all traded them in for Pioneer Supertuners with cassettes. And yes, years later I did have a book of CDs in the car. So old, so sad.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Where would I even put a subwoofer in the convertible if I want to keep the back seat?

I've been wondering if something like this would fit under the pass seat.

Would easily wire into my aftermarket head unit. I'm using the Mach amps and speakers, and it sounds ok but lacks a little bass. I need to get some measurements and see what I can fit under the seat.

GTamas

Reaction score
Actually I would try it without a sub first. With good speakers and a good amp, it may be enough bass, of course depending on your music taste.
I did this myself, I have in my convertible an external amp, 4 speakers (3-way) and a refurbished stock head unit with Bluetooth.
It is worth to put Dynamat or similar on the doors, too. I'm happy with the result.

If it is not enough bass for you, you can add a sub later anytime. I would maybe even have a look at those which fit in the spare tire well.

OP
OP
Sn8kebitten

Sn8kebitten

Reaction score
the Kicker speakers I went with are nothing special and are being powered by the internal amp of the Pioneer head unit I installed over 10 years ago, and they sound great as far as bass goes. I’m not an audio guru and only listen to heavy metal so they’re perfect for me. Maybe the bass never worked properly in my old Mach 460 setup, but just these two 6x8 door speakers have more bass than that whole stock setup did

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online