Help With Heads

wiplash

Reaction score
I'm looking at switching to gt40 heads, will these affect the idle at all? I don't really want a cam so would the stock cam and some 1.7 rr's work alright or should I not bother with the heads unless I get a cam to?? Are the gt40 aluminum heads decent? :help2:

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Honeslty man I would save up for heads and a cam at once, you can then get a set that matches well and you will benifit much more, plus once you add the heads chances are you will want a cam down the road anyways.

to awnser your question heads shouldnt affect your idle or daily driving much at all.

OP
OP
W

wiplash

Reaction score
I really don't want anymore idle problems, so I think I'll skip the cam. GT40 heads should be good for about 20hp or so wouldn't they? Maybe more with a 73mm maf, 65mm tb, 94 cobra intake, 1.7 cobra rr's, & underdrives?
I might also give the heads a little porting once I find some.

QIKGTS

Reaction score
With a Cobra intake, 65mm tb, stock cam, shortys, PIH, 1.6 rr and GT40 y303's (through a t5) I laid down 260 hp and 300 ftlb tq. It would pick up quite a bit. The cam swap and lt's got me another 20 hp and 20 ftlb's (through a 3550)... After I changed the valve springs (which came on the y303's new) that had about 40k miles on them, it feels even stronger. No dyno numbers for the valve spring change though.

Hope that helps some...

OP
OP
W

wiplash

Reaction score
260 rwhp would be nice. I don't have a pih but do have the rpm extender. Should be close anyways.

QIKGTS

Reaction score
None of those dyno numbers were with my extender hooked up, just thought I'd throw that out there... I don't think the valve springs gave some crazy hp increase, perhaps 5 or 7 hp max, but it made the car more crisp and responsive. Like icing on the cake. :D

BTW those stock y303 springs suck if you want to add a high lift cam. They are only good for like .500 lift, IIRC. That's actually right on the money for the heads though, I think they stop flowing good around .500 right out of the box like mine are. ::)

natedawgg94

Reaction score
hey man you can do the e cam and not have idle problems a freind of mine has e cam and gt40 alum. x heads with no tune everything else stock and has no idle problems. no dyno numbers on his though

redripper

Reaction score
Bill no matter what is done to the car you should double check the tune. Once it tuned the first time that any add on I would strap it to the dyno.. One to make sure that parts you installed helped not hurt you also just to double check the air fuel. LEAN = bad!!

OP
OP
W

wiplash

Reaction score
Yeah, that Systemax intake I had on there hurt it quite a bid, plus I noticed when I took the upper intake off one of the vacuum lines to the fpr wasn't on properly, just hanging there, SUCKS!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online