Help with purchase - 1994 GT

1994redGT

Reaction score
I have never posted here but own a ford...HI!

Ok so I am considering purchasing a 1994 mustang GT (5.0). The car is a 5-speed with a good body. The paint will clean up and the interior is average. Driver seat has a tear and a few other small things.

My real question is...The owner said the 5.0 was 'rebuilt'. BUT, after asking some questions I find out that the motor was only looked over and nothing needed replaced. HE said the motor was completely dissembled. He did say the water pump and all gaskets were replaced. The car has 200,000 miles on it. He did the 'rebuild' about 1,000 miles ago. Car has brand new tranny from ford. (probably reman, but has warranty)
How much longer will stock internals last? Is it even possible that after 200,000 miles NOTHING needed to be replaced? He is asking $2,000. I just want something fun to drive in the summer. If this thing is going to explode soon, I will just put the money into my ford f100.

Side Note: While test driving. When you came to an ubrupt stop the car would die unless you tapped the gas a little...Also the O2 sensors was not in the exhaust (he ran open manifolds)
TL;DR - how long with a 5.0 with new gaskets and 200,000 miles last? is it worth $2,000?

Thanks for any and all help

Kboss87

Reaction score
I have never posted here but own a ford...HI!

Ok so I am considering purchasing a 1994 mustang GT (5.0). The car is a 5-speed with a good body. The paint will clean up and the interior is average. Driver seat has a tear and a few other small things.

My real question is...The owner said the 5.0 was 'rebuilt'. BUT, after asking some questions I find out that the motor was only looked over and nothing needed replaced. HE said the motor was completely dissembled. He did say the water pump and all gaskets were replaced. The car has 200,000 miles on it. He did the 'rebuild' about 1,000 miles ago. Car has brand new tranny from ford. (probably reman, but has warranty)
How much longer will stock internals last? Is it even possible that after 200,000 miles NOTHING needed to be replaced? He is asking $2,000. I just want something fun to drive in the summer. If this thing is going to explode soon, I will just put the money into my ford f100.

Side Note: While test driving. When you came to an ubrupt stop the car would die unless you tapped the gas a little...Also the O2 sensors was not in the exhaust (he ran open manifolds)
TL;DR - how long with a 5.0 with new gaskets and 200,000 miles last? is it worth $2,000?

Thanks for any and all help

I wouldn't worry about it having 200,000 miles if it doesn't smoke or make noise, esp if you are just looking for a weekend cruiser. However, I'm not sure why he wouldn't just re-ring it, give it a quick hone, and put fresh bearings in while it was apart...Use it as leverage to negotiate the price down significantly.

I would worry about the fact that he is running "open manifolds"....makes me worry about what else he did to the car.

OP
OP

1994redGT

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

The car does not smoke or make any rattling / slapping noises. It was hard to hear because of exhaust but it sounded pretty strong. I have been working on cars since before i could drive, and I completely agree with you, he really should have re-ringed and at least honed. So, I guess that answers one of my questions, the price. I wanted to pay about $1500. And about the open manifolds....he claims that he wanted to drag race it (hence the 'rebuild') so he just left the exhaust off. I'm not going to lie, while this kid had it....it was probably abused a little bit.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I've 230,000 = miles. Still runs strong and reliable.
The motor has never been apart. I would take it coast to coast tomorrow if I had to.. I also get emission ck'd every year too.,

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
If there is any doubt i would pass there are plenty of options out there i wouldnt rush to it unless you want a project

OP
OP

1994redGT

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies / advice. This is a very helpful forum. I told the seller that i couldn't do $2000. But he said someone was coming to take JUST the engine and tranny for $2000. So, i will keep looking. I had done some research and found that people are not really finding tons of horsepower (400+) in the 1994 stang without a LOT of mods.

87hurricane

Reaction score
My 94 has 197k right now, completely original engine, good compression, no smoke or oil consumption. The 5.0 is a pretty stout engine and will last for a long time if taken care of. FWIW, I paid $1100 for my vert about a year ago. Paint is a little rough, had a few minor issues, but a very solid car. I put new tires on it and its been my daily driver since.

OP
OP

1994redGT

Reaction score
Hey guys. I ended up buying the car. But it has some issues. Im going to post another thread with the problems. thanks again!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online