help with sub box set up please

Vengeance

Reaction score
i am going to be added some subs to my system, hopefuuly soon, i just want to see what some people recommend based off what i want.

what i want is something that will look clean in the trunk and wont take up allot of space, preferbably something that will wedge in the corner by the wheel well or flat along the side of the wheel well. I really really like the stock mach 1000 sub box setup and i wish i could get that but i cant find them.

when i drive in my buddies 06 gt with the shaker 1000 it seems to sound clean and hits hard, so i dont want the bass to rattle the car but enough that i can turn up the radio a feel the bass in my chest but when i am crusing it will have a light thump, sorry if i am rambling on.

I do have experience with stereo work, i have done stereo setups before, on my first truck i had 2 rockford fosgate p2 12in with mtx 2 channel amp in a downfiring underseat sub box, and because it was inside the cab of the truck it was overwhelming bass sometimes.

basically what i am asking is should i go with a single sub to save space or dual subs for more punch? and should i get subs rated around 150rms or much more?Vented or sealed, i know there are some companies that make molded enclosures but they are unfortunatly out of my price range, i am aiming for less than $300 for the sub set up.

i do like these guys
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_31843_Kicker-11HS8.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12058_Kenwood-KSC-SW10.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_372_Infinity-BassLink.html

but i dont know if they will pack the punch i need?

FrankenStang

Reaction score
make shur that the cd player has atleast 2 preouts, one for highs and one for subs..Also make shur its atleast an 8v preout for good/better sound quality...with the propper wires and setup ulle be amazed and what it can do...lol i had 3x sony Xplod 1300 watt speakers talk all you want about xplods...THEY SLAMMED..i had them running off a mono 2000 watt oldschool fosgate amp, 0 guage wire, compacitor,single non ported but divided box, a alpine cd player, alpine interiors and a cheap ass 400 watt 4 way boss amp...yaaaa my system slammed harder than my buddies whos cost him over 2k...the only new sht i got for my stereo were my wires, and even then i got them from walmart..VERY CHEAP THERE as well as their compacitors..i got the amps,subs,head unit used and lol found the interiors on a junkyard run..i still have a few pieces of the stereo in my car and i shur do miss it,lol....ears could hiss for 20min from 5 min of listening to it on 3/4 the way it could go up..i also put in sound proofing stickymat shit in and around the trunk so it didint sound like a beehive when the base would hit from outside the car...i even bought the knock off sht of that too now that i remember..

FrankenStang

Reaction score
and just so you know...dont waste ur time with those puny basstubes or the things you have linked...youd be better oiff with a good headunit and good interiors,they will bump just as hard as that thing for half the cost and install time..alothough im willing to bet that that infinity one would sound pretty good...even their bottom of the line sht sounds pretty good..

joekd

Reaction score
I have the basslink in my car, while it doesn't have "hit you in the head with a shovel" bass it does add the low level fill I was looking for without giving up a lot of trunk space

P1010929.jpg

P1010928.jpg

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
i have boss audio, subs and amp. perfect bass! 2 10's in two ported enclosures and it sounds perfect! nice tight bass and hard to distort! simple clean setup.

120607_082012-1-1-1.jpg

Justang

Reaction score
I don't have pictures, but I have dual subs behind the seats (basically like Tony's) and I built an amp mount in the pocket on the left side of the trunk. Plenty of space left for my hockey bag or a dead hooker to fit in the trunk. It was the first box I made myself, so I did a sealed one. I think a ported box would sound better (I guess? lol) but I'm happy with how it sounds...for now.

joekd

Reaction score
Keep in mind that is a .5 cu ft shallow sub enclosure, while it gives you trunk space unless you are using the correct subs for that spec it will still lack sound

04fivefour

Reaction score
2 Pioneer Premier Champion Series pros 1000w Rms each
SSL 5000.1 Amp at 1 ohm its 3500 Rms
Power Acoustik 5 Farad digital Capacitor

33270140003_large.jpg

This is all you need :D
finally took it all out so that i could mount my battery in the trunk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I had a bass-link in my truck for some time and it filled it nicely. Don't forget the originals the bazooka's if you want an all-n-one amp/sub combo I ran those years ago as well and they were not to bad either. Forget the caps, they are useless...

OP
OP
Vengeance

Vengeance

Reaction score
Keep in mind that is a .5 cu ft shallow sub enclosure, while it gives you trunk space unless you are using the correct subs for that spec it will still lack sound

Yeah I was already noticing that, thank you for the heads up

OP
OP
Vengeance

Vengeance

Reaction score
2 Pioneer Premier Champion Series pros 1000w Rms each
SSL 5000.1 Amp at 1 ohm its 3500 Rms
Power Acoustik 5 Farad digital Capacitor

33270140003_large.jpg

This is all you need :D
finally took it all out so that i could mount my battery in the trunk

Yeah that's all I need haha. That looks like a mean setup though

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you want a clean corner load system look for a JL Audio Stealth Box. They have decent bass and blend right in.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
this is true, tbh you wont get a whole lot of bass from this. not in a trunk. deeper box with more air space. plus the speakers you would have to use will have to be extremely shallow.

Marvin97

Reaction score
Should I do 2 tens or 2 twelves
As far as 10's vs 12's, it really depends on the music you listen to. The larger the sub, the more low end bass they're designed to carry. If you don't listen to lots of rap or dubstep then 10's will be fine. As far as the box goes, bigger is usually better, especially for a sealed enclosure. They will provide more tight, poppy bass as well. I prefer a ported box, as the bass is smoother and there tends to be less wear and tear on the subwoofer. And i'll say this too, think whatever you want but if I built another system it would either be Kicker L7's, Alpine Type R's or JL Audio. RE makes some good stuff as well, but the most important part of any system is gonna be the amplifier. Thats where the real money needs to be spent.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
this is true, tbh you wont get a whole lot of bass from this. not in a trunk. deeper box with more air space. plus the speakers you would have to use will have to be extremely shallow.

.5 cubes each is a little smaller then I am planning on using for my 10's but not a whole lot. There are more then a few good woofers that will perform in a box that small and pound the hell out of you, the Phoenix gold RSDC's I am using are a good example of that. I am going to build the boxes(3) as big as I can but these things still sound great at low freqs in small boxes. 3 of them and 1200 watts should be enough to make some noise.

The the low profile woofers will have a little less output then a standard woofer but they still put out some good sound.

OP
OP
Vengeance

Vengeance

Reaction score
OK awesome, awesome that's a lot of great info, I did however find this

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_32841_Pioneer-TS-SWX251.html

I was thinking two would be awesome but if not one is probably plenty because I am not looking for trunk rattling bass, and I just want a smooth thump from the trunk.

I was thinking I can stand this upright and have the sub facing towards the inside of the car and that would leave tons of room inside the trunk still.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
that is the exact same sub as the one in the pre-loaded box. The pre-loaded box now is designed to be a down-firing box where the sub faces the floor. I personally love those designes as it tends to make any sub-noise = 0 as well as give a great low-end. Facing that box up on its side will probably change it sound and might even reduce output a little. If you want something to stand up on its side get the infinity bass-link if you can find it. Tucks away easily, remote bass control for tuning and fills a car fairly well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nike04life

Staff online

Members online