How hard is it to install a differential?

ripper

Reaction score
Id like to do this myself but the backlash thing has me worried. I dont want to screw it up. I can turn a wrench with the best of em but this just seems like you need to have a guy there thats done it before. I can pay someone to do it money isnt the issue id just like to do some of the work myself if ya know what i mean.

97blackgt

Reaction score
IMO its not too hard...there are a lot of good directions online and if your a halfway decent mechanic you should have no problems.

I have done three ring and pinions on mustangs and no problems yet :dunno:

i would say go for it O0

OP
OP
R

ripper

Reaction score
Do i need any special tools to do this? Oh yea and i forgot to say im putting a detroit tru trac in if that makes a difference.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Unless your very handy under the hood type of work I think I would let PROS do gears

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
I paid somebody to do mine, and I have been a mechanic for almost 25 years. I have done Mack duel reduction rears and Ford 9 inch rears. I just did not feel like screwing with something I was not sure of.

OP
OP
R

ripper

Reaction score
OK Thanx guys thats what i thought.

97blackgt

Reaction score
i dont see whats so hard about it? :dunno:

then again here at school we have all the OTC tools which make things a lot easier

OP
OP
R

ripper

Reaction score
The thing is 97blkgt im over 500hp. If its not right its not just gonna whine its gonna KABOOM! LOL. Ill let my tuner do it. No biggy. Ill stick to oil, plugs, and filters on this one.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
97blackgt said:
i dont see whats so hard about it? :dunno:

then again here at school we have all the OTC tools which make things a lot easier

It's not that hard of a job under the right circumstances, lift, proper tools that sort of thing. But it is a job that totally sucks to do flat on your back.

OP
OP
R

ripper

Reaction score
Proper tools i can probubly get but at my age flat on my allready f..ked up back would maybe kill me LOL.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Stevo said:
Proper tools i can probubly get but at my age flat on my allready f..ked up back would maybe kill me LOL.

The other option is to pull the whole rear axle housing out of the car and do it on a bench. Unfortunately it is nothing like the good old 9 inch rear, you can't just pull the pumpkin and do it on the bench.

95-stang

Reaction score
I've been in the job a long time, but i dont have the tools, or much experience building up diffs.
I preferred the old "cassette" type diff, you just pulled the half-shafts, undid the nuts , and out came the whole carrier.
You could either play on the bench with it, or just slot in another. :)

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
ya i dont think id do it. Setting up a differential is touchy and you need all the right tools. I put a locker in the rear end of my 79 f 150 but its a 9 inch so i was able to drop it out and put it on the bench. I went with a powertrax no slip locker because you do not need a ls carrier so there is no need to set up the backlash etc. It has been fine since i put it in in january but i thought i heard a funny noise the other day.... :mad:

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
half the game in cars is having the right tools.. i think you are making the right decision in taking it to your builder. that job seems like it would suck if you were doing it on your back the whole time..

bleau

Reaction score
I did my own gears a few months ago.
I pulled my whole rear end out and took it to work.
I had a guy help me who has done it before. It was not hard, but I needed a lot of tools I don't have at the house.
I was using a hydraulic press air tools indicator mag base for indicator, then I did have to grind about .002" off one shim to get it right.
If you do it in the garage defiantly get additional shim.
If you are just changing the diff and not the gears I would go for it. IMO

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online

No members online now.