How to swap your 94-95 to a 03/04 Cobra

wldtang

Reaction score
I thought I would create this thread so people don't have to thumb through my other post. Maybe this will become a sticky. Enjoy reading.

I don't know of another conversion such as this. Many similar but not exactly like this.
My 94 cobra has went through many changes over the past couple of years. I have finally settled on one setup. At least for now.
This is a major conversion.

04 cobra Motor
T56 trans
complete wiring harness
dash assy - reusing my black pad
brake system - reusing my calipers and spindles
pedals
steering column - reusing my steering wheel
fuel system
a/c system
coolant system

Mods Are:
Stiegemeier stage 5+ Ported eaton
Accufab plenum ported to match Stiegemeier stage 5+ port
2.76 upper / 2lb lower pulley
60 lb inj
SCT 2800 maf
longtubes
x pipe
Mac Flowpath catback
JLT CAI
4 piece idlers
egr delete
SCT Xcal II tuner
Spec stage 3+ clutch
Fidanza Flywheel
Fore top hat
GT pumps
dual FPDM's

First I started stripping the car down. Everything needed to come out.
I installed a PA Racing tubular K. Next I will be installing 03 A arms, sway bar, steering rack. I will re-use my spindles and brakes.
Bay3.jpg

Bay1.jpg

Bay.jpg

I then stripped the interior.
bay4.jpg

Pulled the dash and converted it. I wanted to keep most of the 94 look. Mostly because of the color. True black. Not charcoal like the 03-04's.
I swapped my dash pad and heating ducts over to the 03 metal frame and installed all of the 03 wiring.. Installed the 03 cluster.

03 pad after removed from the shell
03dashshell.jpg

03dashpad.jpg

03 dash shell with pad removed
03dahs.jpg

94 dash before it is stripped
94dash.jpg

94 stripped shell and harness. Pad was relocated to new 03 dash frame
94shellanddashharness.jpg

94sheel.jpg

94 dash converted to 03 internals converted
converteddash4.jpg

converteddash2.jpg

converteddash1.jpg

converteddash.jpg

converteddahs3.jpg

03clusterin94dahspadwith03shell.jpg

I had to change the pass side air bag connector.
From Brown
03airbagconnector.jpg

to Black
94airbagconnector.jpg

The 94 has the defroster on the instrument bezel whereas the 03 has it on the stereo bezel. I am having to cut and splice the harness and run to my stock defroster switch.

I also replaced my complete body harness. Man the 03 body harness was a pain. I had to take the car completly apart. What a pain in the ass.
main body 03 harness

From this
p1010002-1.jpg

p1010001-1.jpg

p1010004.jpg

To this
03mainbodyharness.jpg

p1010005.jpg

P1010008-1.jpg

P1010007-1.jpg

P1010006-2.jpg

P1010009-3.jpg

I have to figure out how to wire in my 94 Mach 460 rear amps, fog light switch (94 mounted in console, 03 mounted on stereo besel), and the seat belt switch.
FogLightconnectors.jpg

I finished installing the EEC and the EEC harness from the pass side wheel well.
main03EECharness.jpg

03computerinstalled.jpg

Next, I swapped my heater box assy. These three bolts need to be removed first.
heatercoremounting2.jpg

heatercoremounting1.jpg

heatercoremounting.jpg

I had to move some of the parts from my 94 box to my 03 box. Mostly the fan assy and some duct work that was missing. Notice the difference in a/c lines.
heaterboxes.jpg

94 heater core lines
94heatercorehardlines.jpg

03 heater core lines
03heatercorehardlines.jpg

03 box installed. i will need to trim the hole opening.
03heatercorehardlinesthrufirewall1.jpg

03heatercorehardlinesthrufirewall.jpg

03 heater box installed along with eec and eec harness.
heatercoreswap2.jpg

heatercoreswap1.jpg

heatercoreswap.jpg

I need the bracket to mount this three connectors behind the drivers side kick panel. Notice I installed the 03 gas pedal and dead pedal.
driversside03connectors.jpg

03gasanddeadpedal.jpg

Air bag module installed. I need to trim the holes so the remaining bolt will fit
03airbagmodule.jpg

The 03 main body harness takes a different rear mach 460 amp harness than the 94 cobra does.
03bodyconnectorforamp1.jpg

Column conversion
These are the two columns
94 column
94column.jpg

94 key tumbler
94keytumbler.jpg

03 column
03column.jpg

PATS
PATSkeybox.jpg

94 vs. 03 column
94columnvs03column.jpg

94columnconnectorsvs03connectors.jpg

OP
OP
W

wldtang

Reaction score
swapped the 94 air bag, clock spring, steering wheel, and black air bag connector to the 03 column
94airbagclockspringinstalledin03col.jpg

convertedcolumn1.jpg

Covertedcolumn.jpg

Columnswapcompleted.jpg

94 Carcass
94carcass.jpg

Updated: 12-28-07
Removed the abs module and front brake lines.
Removed remaining harness in engine bay
Test fitted the hydroboost. I need to drill one alignment hole.
Removed 94 horn and installed 03 horn

12-30-07
Trimmed the brake hole opening for the hydro boost and drilled the alignment hole. It now fits.
hydroboostopening.jpg

Installed the 03 pedal assy.
03pedalinstall.jpg

Hope to move the lower rad. mounts this week.
LHlowerradmount.jpg

RHlowerradmount.jpg

1-6-08
Finished bolting up the PA Racing K member and installed the 03 cobra front sway bar. I will complete the front suspension once I install the steeda X2 balljoints on the 03 A arms.

Installed the dash assy and pedal assy. Wire connectors all mated up.
DashInstall.jpg

DashInstall1.jpg

Broke my *&#@ windshield trying to tight the top three dash bolts. Ratch slipped and hit the windshield and crack. Guess I get to buy another one.
BrokenWindshield.jpg

Need to get my suspension completed so I can move the car for engine bay paint. Once that is complete, assy should move faster.

Got my stage 5 steggy ported eaton back today.
Stage 5 port
front drive rebuild
2.76 pulley install
accufab plenum port to my eaton
What a beaute.
Steegy276.jpg

SteggyBottomPort.jpg

steggyplenumport.jpg

SteggyTop.jpg

portedplenum.jpg

portedplenum1.jpg

Fore top Hat - just need some GT pumps now.
Fore3.jpg

Fore2.jpg

Fore1.jpg

Fore.jpg

Finished my front suspension.
Bolted up the K member
Installed Steeda X2 balljoints in the 03 cobra control arms
Install 03 struts. Retained my 94 cobra spindles,, brake caliper, abs sensors, and soft brake lines.
Also switched the 03 cobra front sway bar.
I am using the 03 cobra front rotors. Just need to get them shaved to clean up.
I also need to order a MM service 6 kit so I can put a boot over the strut rod.
Kmemberinstall.jpg

Kmemberinstall1.jpg

MMCC.jpg

Suspension.jpg

Suspension1.jpg

1/19/2008
Ordered a Fore hat about a month ago from Lethal.
Ordered a new sending unit and dual GT pumps from Tousley Ford.
Today I decided to assy the hat.
All went very well. The only problem I had was when taking the stock filter off of the new GT pump, I broke the small tab that helps hold on the sock.
The fore supplied sock seems to fit very tight on the pump so I should be ok.
fore1-1.jpg

Foreassy.jpg

forebasket.jpg

forebasket1.jpg

GTpumpinstalled.jpg

GTpumps.jpg

GTpumpsinstalled1.jpg

fore2-1.jpg

fore5.jpg

fore4.jpg

fore6.jpg

Update 1-31-08
Got my longtubes. Nice.
Longtubes.jpg

Longtubes1.jpg

Update: 2-2-08

Finished installing the mach 460 rear deck harness and ran a 10 ga. wire from the trunk to engine bay. This will feed the GT pumps in the fore hat.
Installed the rear side panels, speaker deck cover and rear seat. Also installed the mounting bracket for the 3 plugs behind the drivers kick panel.

installed the 03 stereo and bezel. However I need to get a different stereo. My harness connectors are different than what this stereo requires. Anyone interested in this head unit?

I need to paint the bezel to match the dash. I also need to find a way to flush mount the screws on the side of the bracket I made.

03stereo.jpg

03stereo2.jpg

03stereo3.jpg

03stereoinstall1.jpg

started back on my project.
Turned the car around in my garage so I could start some welding.
1. Started patching the fender opening where a power pipe used to be when the S trim was on.

2. Started removing the lower radiator mounts to make them about 1 inch wider on each side for the 03 cobra radiator.

3. Started making my Dual FPDM. Bought three pigtail harnesses from ford. made my own mounting bracket for the FPDM's. Should be starting wiring up the FPDM's later this week. Look over the nasty looking weld in the first pic.

dualfpdm1.jpg

dualfpdm.jpg

Hope to have all of the welding done this weekend so I can start painting the engine bay. After the paint is done, look out because the build will really speed up.

update 3-12-08

Removed my lower radiator mounts. Plan to weld them back in place tomorrow. They needed to be moved about 1" to the outside.

Had to make a spot to mount the upper rad. mount on the drivers side. The 94-5 cars has that mount on the side of rad. The 03-04's have it on top like the pass side.

Next, I had to drill holes to mount the over flow bottle. 96+ cars should not have to worry about this as they already use the overflow bottle.

I plan to take some pics this weekend once everything is welded in place.

update: 3-13-08
welded in the lower radiator mounts
lowerradmounts.jpg

Lowerradiatormounts1.jpg

radopening.jpg

drilled hole and welded nut to bolt down drivers side upper radiator mount.
weldednut.jpg

driversideradmount-1.jpg

OP
OP
W

wldtang

Reaction score
drilled hole for bolts and clips to mount the overflow bottle
Overflowmountingpoints.jpg

overflowbottle.jpg

overflowmounted.jpg

mounted radiator, fan and overflow bottle. Still need to mount overflow bottle support rod.
radiatormounted.jpg

Update 3-16-08

Finished patching the pass side fender apron (from the power pipe when I had the S trim on the 302). Rolled the car outside and scrubbed the engine bay with Simple Green. Wow does that stuff work. Changed out the wiper motor and linkage assy.
The 94 wiper motor uses a different connector than the 01+ motor. I just change the whole assy since I had it.

I also adjusted the hood hinges so the 96-98 cobra hood lines up.
enginebay2.jpg

enginebay1.jpg

enginebay.jpg

3-20-08
Received my fidanza friction plate, ford flywheel bolts and fuel line to connect the Fore fuel hat to the 03 cobra OEM fuel line.
fuelline.jpg

frictionplate.jpg

flywheelbolts.jpg

3-22-08
We finished up the engine bay last night and got the car home around 11:30.
I think overall it turned out pretty well. A couple of areas didn’t get as clean as needed but I am happy with it. A huge thanks goes out to Aaron for helping me out.
Here are some pics. Now the fun begins. Progress will go faster now.
Enjoy.

Paintedbay.jpg

PaintedBay1.jpg

Paintedbay2.jpg

Paintedbay3.jpg

updated
Installed A/C dryer, hydro boost and master cylinder, engine bay brake lines, cruise control module, overflow bottle, horn assy, Firewall adjuster and engine bay main harness.
acdryer.jpg

dsenginebay.jpg

cruisecontrolmodule.jpg

overflowbottleandhorns.jpg

psenginebay.jpg

dsbrakeline.jpg

coresupport.jpg

Next up – ABS module and connecting rest of main harness. Then it is engine time.

3-24-08
Fished installing the main harness, a/c condensor, radiator and fan, abs module, accelerator cable, steering column and front brake lines.
The abs module was the toughest part. I had to drill a couple of holes and make sure I had it mounted in the correct spot. I hope there are no clearance issues with the motor.

Next up. Time to start on the motor. I plan to have it installed this week.

Enjoy.
absmoduleinstalled.jpg

Finishedbay2.jpg

Finishedbay1.jpg

FinishedBay.jpg

Update 3-25-08

Started on the motor today.
Scrubbed the motor clean
Installed lower intake
intercooler
ported eaton
60 lb injectors
fuel rails
Blue idler pullies.

I have a few things left to do before the motor goes in.
Lower 2lb crank pulley
spark plugs
longtube headers
rear cooling mod
install clutch, flywheel and bellhousing.

Should be in the car this weekend if not sooner.

Update 3-28-08
Been working on the motor trying to get it ready.
So far I have accomplished installing the 03 steering rack
idler pulleys
2nd lower crank pulley
drivers side longtube header
fidanza flywheel with new friction plate

Still need to be done
Finish cooling mod (need someone to tig weld the tube I made)
Install new pilot bearing
install spec stage 3+ clutch
Install bellhousing, starter and pass side longtube header

If I can get the cooling tube welding tomorrow then the motor will be installed tomorrow.

Installed cooling mod. Need to get a longer belt. 76.5†is too short. Going to install bellhousing, starter and PS longtube header tomorrow. Then motor goes in tomorrow.
Here are some pics to keep everyone drooling.
topfrontofmotor.jpg

frontofmotor.jpg

nameplate.jpg

coolingmod.jpg

dslongtube.jpg

specclutch.jpg

psbellow.jpg

dsbellow-1.jpg

3-30-08
Motor is in. Wow! Is she tight. Thanks to Aaron once again for helping me out. I could not have gotten it in without his help.
motorinwithoverflowandmaf.jpg

Motorin.jpg

DSfrontmotorin.jpg

dsmotorin.jpg

hyroboosthosesconnected.jpg

psmotorin.jpg

psmotorinfront.jpg

psrearcorner.jpg

undercarlongtube1.jpg

undercarlongtubes.jpg

I need to trim the hood to clear the IAC. You can see where it hits.
iac.jpg

spottocut.jpg

Hood on.
96-98cobrahood.jpg

96-98cobrahoodfrontview.jpg

I have powered and tested the following:
Cluster
stereo
wiper motor
washer fluid pump
fan
brake and headlights
running lights
heater fan
turn signals and hazard
dome light
trunk light and license plate light
dimmer switch
keyless entry
remote alarm
horn

In order to get my fog lights working, I had to cut off the 03 fog light connector and solder in my 94 cobra fog light connector. My fog lights now work.

I do have some updates but not much.
I had a couple of things slow me down.
1. The motor mounts did not sit flufh against the K member. Forgot about the little #### on the motor mounts. Had to lift the motor a little and do some grinding. Now it sits flush.

2. I have to change the o ring on my coolant mod before the trans can go in. Hope to have it down tomorrow.

I installed my trunk lid harness. I need to splice in my third brake light and find a way to get my trunk light to work.

Update: 4-9-08
Got busy wiring up the harness for the dual FPDM. I plan to run the wires for the dual GT pumps this weekend. Hopefully I can get the tank swapped out to.
p1010001-2.jpg

OP
OP
W

wldtang

Reaction score
Update: 4-13-08
Removed the 94 cobra fuel and brake lines. Installed the 03 cobra fuel and brake lines. I need to get some rivets to finish.
Also removed the 94 fuel tank. Installed a new fuel filter. Installed the vent from the 94 tank into the 03 tank. I did this so I could remove the EVAP stuff.

Also installed the steering shaft and clutch cable. Ran the tube for the boost gauge.

03tank.jpg

brakelines.jpg

brakelines1.jpg

brakelines2.jpg

fuelfilter.jpg

fuelline-1.jpg

vacumnlines.jpg

trunklatch.jpg

trans.jpg

steeringrack.jpg

tank is just about ready. I need to install the connectors for the wires and she is ready for insertion.

I removed all of the evap stuff.
tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

update 4/18/08
Been moving forward. Finished installed the weather pak connectors. Tried mounting the tank only to find out that the 94 cobra fuel filler neck is larger than the tank hole. Had to go get one out of a 99+ car. I then modified it to get rid of a bunch of un-needed tubes. I have to get the fuel cap. They didn’t give me one and my fuel cap will not work.

I also installed a 99+ trunk latch assy. The 94 cobra trunk light uses a mercury switch for activation. The 99+ has the switch build into the latch. Notice the 94 cobra 2 pin latch vs. the 99+ 3 pin latch.

I now have trunk light and my dash lights powered up.

Plan to fab up my x member this weekend.

hatconnector.jpg

wiresthrutrunkfloor1.jpg

wiresthutrunkfloor.jpg

installeddualFPDM.jpg

99uptrunklatch.jpg

trunk3pinconnector.jpg

trunk2pinconnector.jpg

trunklights.jpg

neckcomparison.jpg

modifiedneck.jpg

grometcomparison.jpg

dashlights.jpg

Update 4/21/08
Removed door panels over the weekend. Changed out the DS door wiring harness and door lock actuator/inside handle assy. Started on the PS door but found I had a harness for a premium sound system. I need one for a mach 460 system. Waiting to find one.

Also wired in my power point and cigar lighter on the console. Reinstalled the console.

Mounted the brace rod for the overflow container.

Update 4/22/08

Changed out the door lock actuators and inside door handle cables with 99+ parts. Reused my 94 cobra door handle as it matches the interior. If you ever do this swap, you will need to keep the 94-95 rod for the outside door handle. It is shorter for some reason that the 99+ rods.
Also note that the 99+ cars do not use a pass side outside key lock. Therefore my 94cobra pass side door lock will be cosmetic only.
It is amazing how close these cars are even though they are 10 years apart.

Update: 4/22/08

Finished connecting the wiring and door lock components. Everything on the doors are now working. Even keyless entry, panic alarm and trunk opener.

Doors complete. Now time to move on to something else.

4/29/08
Installed a 78†belt on the blower. I also installed a 96-98 cobra x member brackets and double hump x member to mount the T56. Trans is now officially installed.

transcrossmember.jpg

5/4/08
Removed front bumper cover and mounted the heat exhanger. I had to modify to top of the heat exchanger brackets. Man it is tight in there. But it fits. This is the larger afco unit as well.
Then drilled a hole and mounted the intercooler pump. Lines are connected.

Pump and exchanger are now complete.
bumpercoveroff.jpg

heatexchanger.jpg

intercoolerpump.jpg

intercoolerpump1.jpg

intercoolerpumpmounting.jpg

Just a few things left. Need to do the rearend and finish the exhaust.

Update 5/16/08
I got my tune in the car. Had a problem with a new relay harness I installed for the dual FPDM. Finally got that resolved last night. Pumps now prime. Also the car now cranks over. No fuel yet in the tank. She just needs some petrol for it to fire.

I stripped the rearend apart. I order some 03 carbon fiber clutches for the 31 spline trac lok. I need to get some 31 spline axles and a bumpsteer kit. Rearend is now my hold up. Once I get that together, the car should only take a couple of days to finish.

First start up
94-03 cobra conversion first start up

I am going to be running 18x9 and 18x10 saleens. I just ordered a pair of 315-30-18 MT ET Street Drag radials.

I am in the process of installing 3.55 gears, 31 spline strange axles, rebuilding the trac lok with 03 cobra carbon fiber clutches, and 03 cobra pinion flange.
Also just bought a pair of HPM mega bite jr lower control arms.

I just installed the pinion and 03 alum ds tonight.
I hope to have the rearend finished this week and then I can throw the exhaust on.
Once that is complete, I just need to put some coolant in and bleed the brakes.
I still plan to take it to corral day. However I may end up trailoring it there.

update:
swapped all of my brakes over to 03 low mileage brakes

installed 03 cobra carbon fiber clutches in trac lock. installed my ring gear and installed center section. I having been fighting to geat the right shiming for back lash. Installed my strange 31 spline axles. After installed I realized I had pressed my abs rings a little too far on. I now have to remove the axles and pull the rings back a little.
Plan to re-shim the center section tomorrow.
changed thermostat to a stant 170*.
Added coolant to the intercooler and radiator.
Started the car and let it warm up.
Connected the x pipe and started getting the catback ready for install.

Man this things sounds so good.

here is a short clip.
I don't have the tailpipes on yet and I need to do some tweaking on the exhaust. I got a couple of exhaust leaks at the x pipe.

03 conversion idle

finished installing my 31 spline axles and rear brakes.
Tomorrow I need to bleed my brakes and PS. Need to mount my lower control arms

and mount my new 18x9 and 18x10 polished saleen wheels with my new MT ET Street 315/30/18 drag radials.

Update:

Had to fabricate an H pipe as the x pipe would not work with my mac catback. I need to get a Dr gas x pipe so I can get my tailpipes to align correctly.
Installed my wheels and on the ground she went.
I was able to drive the car around the block last night. Wow, what a feeling (never got into the throttle though).

I still have several small items to work out before she is road worthy.

I need to adjust the clutch as it is hard to get into gear and reverse.
I need a x pipe
needs hood painted to match car
also need to hook up the wideband.

I do plan to bring her to corral day this evening. She will be on a trailor though

Last night and today I was able to complete three major items.

Drained the trans and filled it back up.

Dropped the tank and changed the filler neck so that my tank can vent while putting gas in it.

fabricated an x pipe.

Car goes to an alignment shop tomorrow. Gets a new windshield next week. After that, it is time to get the front end painted.

I will try to get some pics and videos up tomorrow.

I haven't installed my lower control arms yet. I want to get the car on the road.

Update:
Got the car aligned over the weekend. Drove it around saturday and took it to a local cruise in.
Felt good to finally drive the car.

I had some clutch cable adjustment problems that I am working through.

Getting a new windshield installed this week.

car is now pretty much complete.
Needs some minor details sorted out. She is driving and is feeling pretty stout.

Here is a video of a walk around and the car running.
94/04 cobra conversion completion

The cobra recieved it first dyno run yesterday. Actually it got 3 back to back pulls.

94/04 cobra conversion 1st dyno run

2nd pull showing boost and a/f
94/04 cobra conversion 2nd dyno pull showing boost

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Fantastic. What a comprehensive and incredible project.

I suggest that SN95forums host all these pictures, and place this thread in a good safe place where people can easily find it. :)

Paul.

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
Speechless.

Im glad we have the opportunity to have it here on sn95forums. i havent seen one of these write ups.

Thank you David.

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
Paul said:
Fantastic. What a comprehensive and incredible project.

I suggest that SN95forums host all these pictures, and place this thread in a good safe place where people can easily find it. :)

Paul.

Absolutely. This should be stickied.

dafizuck

Reaction score
Alright, I'm going to say it... I like this thread/build more than venom351s thread in the 18+ section. This build is amazing, thanks for sharing it with us.

CruizinKev

Reaction score
yeah very nice work!! keep it up! :thumb: :coolsmiley:

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
This is an awesome write up. Very well documented. Great job on a awesome project.

I can't wait to start fabbing all that Mach1 stuff into my 1966 coup. I may be hiting you up for some tech when it comes to wiring.

OP
OP
W

wldtang

Reaction score
uncltrvlnmatt said:
This is an awesome write up. Very well documented. Great job on a awesome project.

I can't wait to start fabbing all that Mach1 stuff into my 1966 coup. I may be hiting you up for some tech when it comes to wiring.

Thanks. Let me know if you need any help. I am in the process of wiring up my friends car. He is putting a 03 cobra motor in his fox coupe.

turion94

Reaction score
Dear sn95forums moderators,

Can you please transfer this into the DIY threads? This write up should be there for easy access and better use. I had to look up wldstang and search his threads just to find it.

:happy1:

"bumping" this badass 5 year old thread.

turion94

Reaction score
Thanks man! Since it is such a tight fit in the 94 body I wonder how you would get to the sparkplugs in there?

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
spark plugs arent a big deal. they come out from up top....

"such a tight fit" indeed. we had to expand my engine bay to fit mine with LT headers....

turion94

Reaction score
Wait... when you said hope his termi swap still runs. Are you suggesting something happened to yours?

I hope not that would suck. :eek:

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
haha. mine blew up last year.... started threads with knocking videos and everything.. .... lol.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Needs more Coyote Swap.

by the time im out of school, that'll be cheap enough to do.... ;) lol.

ive got 1 iron cookin' in the fire right now to try and fix it, but if that falls through im just going to let it sit until next summer (at the earliest)...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online