I'm looking at a '96 Cobra today!

96gt226410

Reaction score
I just got wind of a guy selling his '96 Cobra and I'm hoping I'll upgrade to a 4V. It's red with black leather hardtop. It has 80K on it. He's asking $4,500. It's almost stock besides the exhaust. He put on Bassani mid length headers, matching catted X-pipe, and SLP exhaust. One owner. I Car-Faxed it and everything came out clean. I'm going to look at it this afternoon. Is there anything special I should look for? Any problems in Cobras? I've owned 2 5.0's and 2 4.6's so I'm not new to Mustangs at all. If there's anything you guys could tell me, let me know. Thanks and wish me luck!

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
GOOD LUCK BRO! wow 4500, if that thing is in good running order and clean, id say snatch that up.. i bought mine for 10k with 86k miles.. i just wanted a cobra though ahha. take some pics for us while your there!

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Nothing out of the normal, check the fluids / listne for unusual souns in the engine bay / drive it and check the brakes, acceleration, air, you know all the normal stuff. Get some pics and post them up 8)

OP
OP
96gt226410

96gt226410

Reaction score
Some people are such jerk offs. I drive an hour away to look at that peice of crap. I get to the parking lot and I see smoke in the air, strips laid everywhere, and the rear tires are sticky as hell. The dick was doing donuts right before I got there. That pissed me off right away. I take a look around the car and the passenger side quarter panel has a huge dent and paint is rusted away. There are scratches all over the place, rims are 16" sn95 style waffle with bald rear tires and cords coming through the front. The interior is black leather, but the rest of the interior is grey! And the seats were those out of a v6 convertable. Nothing matched inside! After that, I just wanted to walk away, but I figured I could get the car for cheaper and work on it. I start it up and the car is misfiring like hell. It can't idle, it stauls, the check engine light was flashing. The thing barely ran. The clutch catches really high, the trans grinded in the second the third shift, third to fourth shift, and the clutch chattered really bad. That Cobra was a piece of shit. Sorry if I'm bitching, but it just pissed me off because I was told how nice of a car it was and the price seemed so good. Oh well, I guess I have to keep looking. I'll get a 4v on of these days... :thumb:

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
96gt226410 said:
Some people are such jerk offs. I drive an hour away to look at that peice of crap. I get to the parking lot and I see smoke in the air, strips laid everywhere, and the rear tires are sticky as hell. The dick was doing donuts right before I got there. That pissed me off right away. I take a look around the car and the passenger side quarter panel has a huge dent and paint is rusted away. There are scratches all over the place, rims are 16" sn95 style waffle with bald rear tires and cords coming through the front. The interior is black leather, but the rest of the interior is grey! And the seats were those out of a v6 convertable. Nothing matched inside! After that, I just wanted to walk away, but I figured I could get the car for cheaper and work on it. I start it up and the car is misfiring like hell. It can't idle, it stauls, the check engine light was flashing. The thing barely ran. The clutch catches really high, the trans grinded in the second the third shift, third to fourth shift, and the clutch chattered really bad. That Cobra was a piece of shit. Sorry if I'm bitching, but it just pissed me off because I was told how nice of a car it was and the price seemed so good. Oh well, I guess I have to keep looking. I'll get a 4v on of these days... :thumb:

i woulda hit the dude in the head for making you drive that car for something that was obviously a POS.. sorry to hear about your trip man. total bummer. just wait for the right car.. youll find one soon enough! good luck in your search, and sorry that today was a total let down. i bet you were excited as hell when you were on your way. :-\

badass98svt

Reaction score
He must've had spacers up front, cuz 16" wheels won't fit with the 13" cobra front brakes.
Are you sure its a real cobra?

94darkhorse

Legend
Reaction score
I would'nt have even said anything to him, I would have just turned of the car (if it didnt die already) and walked away. He prolly thought he was gonna sucker someone into buying it.

OP
OP
96gt226410

96gt226410

Reaction score
I Car Faxed it with the VIN on the dash and it did come up a Cobra coupe. Oh man, I was so mad. I guess he did have spacers because he did have the waffle rims. Oh yeah, another thing. He had a GT rear bumper.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
96gt226410 said:
I Car Faxed it with the VIN on the dash and it did come up a Cobra coupe. Oh man, I was so mad. I guess he did have spacers because he did have the waffle rims. Oh yeah, another thing. He had a GT rear bumper.

:nonono: :nonono: :nonono: sounds like a :rice: 'ed out stang

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
That totally sucks, sorry to hear it did not go to well.

Keep up the search. I bought my 97 Cobra for $6,600, so there are some cheaper cars out there. You just need to find them. Where was this car located, I am looking for a Cobra drive train to put in my 1966 coup. Sounds like it could be a candidate for a donation.

97vertstang

Reaction score
maybe it was a stolen gt and badges it with a totalled cobra vin or something :dunno:

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Damn, mine was a mess when i got it, but not that bad. Got mine for 5K, 100K miles, black front pass fender, busted headlamps, torn front bumper, waffle wheels, carboned up intake (runners stuck closed) waffle wheels out back, nearly bald tires all around, and the rear is a slightly different shade of red than the front. Now, with your situation, I would have give him $1,900 for that peice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online