installing new stereo

mtang98 gt

Reaction score
I'm going to be installing a new stereo I'm looking for any heads up on the wiring side of things like certian ways too hook up the old wiring and blocking off unused stuff like the wires from the slave cd drive. Also my car came with a Sony amplifier does that make a difference in the install? Thanks for any help

OP
OP
mtang98 gt

mtang98 gt

Reaction score
The car also came with boston acoustic speakers I want to try and get the best head unit to match the speaker and amp set up that is already in the car. Also do I have single din double din?? What does that even mean?

joekd

Reaction score
Single din = normal rectangle stereo approx 2" high, double din = double that height

Assuming your amp/speakers are just normal 4 ohms pretty much any aftermarket stereo will work with them, if your amp is hooked up with preamps (please tell me it is) then you may want to pay attention to the output voltage of the preamps

As for wiring the CD slave is just one connector you disconnect on the back of the head unit, when you install the new head unit get the correct wiring kit, this way you will connect all your head unit wires to the kit out of the car then simply unplug the old head unit and plug in the new one

You will also want to pick up the CD delete tray to go where the CD unit was and fill in that space

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it will not matter what deck you get, any of them should be able to be hooked up to your car. As for wiring well if aftermarket stuff is already there then there isn't much you will need to do to the wiring.

OP
OP
mtang98 gt

mtang98 gt

Reaction score
It is a stock head unit. And as far as I know there is just the one amp. I didn't install the set up that is in the car it came with the amp and speakers. Also would best buy sell the correct Wiring kit, is there a name for it?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
that would be the strangest thing I have heard of if you have the stock deck, stock speakers and a sony amp. I would need to see some pics of it to figure out what has been done and what you would need to do.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well we need to find out how they installed that sony amp. More then likely they hit the signal wires going to the speakers somewhere and used a line out converter to go from speaker level to rca level to make the amp happy. Follow the rca's out of the amp and see where they go. You will probably need to run a set of rca's from the deck to the amp, maybe 2 sets.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
also if you want to pull out the slave cd and not have a hole go to your local car audio shop or best buy and get a universal din pocket. They snap in place but anything you put in them ends up on the floor or in the back seat. I think crutchfield will include the hrns and pocket for free if you tell them.

OP
OP
mtang98 gt

mtang98 gt

Reaction score
Yeah I got the pocket but I can't find any wiring harnesses that will work with the new head unit, that's my main prblm right now

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What's your issue finding a harness? Every audio manufacturer makes one.

The head unit will come with one specific to it, and you get a harness. Most of the time you just have to color match the wires and make a ground. Just pay attention to the instructions as some brands will not be the same colors. The aftermarket harness will plug right into the factory one, and obviously the one that is with the deck will go into it.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
......did you order it from crutchfield? if so they have pretty solid customer service and would probably send you one. if not, you might have to contact the manufacturer.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
my guess is that it was stolen from the box =/ if you haven't ravaged through everything you can probably take it back and tell them it was missing.

OP
OP
mtang98 gt

mtang98 gt

Reaction score
Found the harness for the head unit. Now I just gota figure out how to use the wire harness adapter I bought from best buy it is the one for the Ford premium sound system harness. It seems like there are a hole bunch more wiring that needs to he connected...do I need another wiring adapter..I'm just lost haha

joekd

Reaction score
It all depends on how your current system is wired, if they used the OEM speaker wiring and you dont want to change that then it should be as easy as plug and done, if you want to do it right and run RCAs from preamp out to amp then new speaker wiring you will need some additional wiring but no other adapters

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Joekd, it would probably be best for him to keep it real basic. I didn't run any extra amps etc. in mine, though I do have the capacity to haha.

This should just be a matter of connecting the like colored wires together (or reading the diagrams to make sure the same colored wires correspond) and then plugging her in. Do that outside of the car so you can do a better job.

You are worrying a lot more than you need to ;p

The main thing that would create an issue is if the PO cut into the factory harness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online