Interior adhesive? And painting?

Ineedav8

Reaction score
Alright guys had this killer idea but nothings helping it stick whats a good plastic adhesive for the door panels on our cars? Also can duplicolor semi gloss be used as a replacement for sem dye i cant justify spending $15 a can lol and dyeing a back seat how would i go about that?

Sent from the future

OP
OP
Ineedav8

Ineedav8

Reaction score
Anything 3M

...you're gonna paint your back seat?
I tried 3m spray adhesive and no go sanded all the old glue off prepped it all and nothing still popped off

no no no wanted to try and dye the leather from the charcoal black to the pre black. I also want to dye my leather knob

as far as the duplicolor that would be totally fine to use for the inserts if I'm right? I was going to order all the SEM products from late model but I heard they were different shades?

Sent from the future

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'd go to a paint store and talk to them about the dye. They'll not only have good products but they'll truly know what they're talking about.

As for the spray adhesive, that doesn't surprise me. I'm not quite sure what you're trying to stick together in your door panel but tape beats spray every time.

Sent from bored/stroked iPhone 6 Plus

OP
OP
Ineedav8

Ineedav8

Reaction score
dba26800404ac83a2cc7e59a6e4888fd.jpg

94-95 had perforated door inserts as all the plastic welded tabs on the back were destroyed i was trying just to glue them on instead as i tried epoxying pine tree fasteners to it and they were to far out may try it again.

And alright thanks didn't think it would be hard to do I just have 50 shades of grey going on in my interior lol

Sent from the future

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would go straight up epoxy on the inserts.

Again I am not sure what panels your painting but plastic/vinyl dye and spray paint/duplicolor are COMPLETELY different things.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
one thing i shy away fro is any vinyl/fabric paint on seats lol. not saying it wont work. i'd spray the hell out of it with alcohol and scotch brite the shit out of it too!

the duplicolor comes flat or gloss black. the gloss black looks exactly like black leather with armorall on it...the flat looks more like natural leather. have no clue if i helped here :confused1:

chris91

Reaction score
As for the door panel inserts, I used a Plastic Weld Epoxy you find in the adhesive section at your local parts store. It comes in a red tube. Mine have been glued for like two years now and its held up great.

OP
OP
Ineedav8

Ineedav8

Reaction score
Alright thanks guys I think i threw everyone off when i said duplicolor and my rear seats lol ok ok lol Im gunna try to dye my back seats and shift knob and i thought alot of people got away with duplicolor on the door panel switch panels lol

Sent from the future

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
Alright thanks guys I think i threw everyone off when i said duplicolor and my rear seats lol ok ok lol Im gunna try to dye my back seats and shift knob and i thought alot of people got away with duplicolor on the door panel switch panels lol

Sent from the future

you can duplicolor the rear seat i'd imagine. especially if you don't steadily have people sitting in it. prep it right and i'd say it will look good. you can definitely duplicolor the door panels/door pulls. it'll just be off a tad. not too bad tho

OP
OP
Ineedav8

Ineedav8

Reaction score
you can duplicolor the rear seat i'd imagine. especially if you don't steadily have people sitting in it. prep it right and i'd say it will look good. you can definitely duplicolor the door panels/door pulls. it'll just be off a tad. not too bad tho
Alright sweet thanks Tony i gave epoxy double stick and duct tape a try last night double sticked pieces of the panel to hold it in place while the epoxy set up then used duct tape as extra insurance. Still nothing i dont get what im doing wrong lol i sanded it to remove all the old glue wiped it down with alcohol laid out the epoxy and they still fall off im tempted to go race car and toss the doorpanels in the garage

Sent from the future

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
Alright sweet thanks Tony i gave epoxy double stick and duct tape a try last night double sticked pieces of the panel to hold it in place while the epoxy set up then used duct tape as extra insurance. Still nothing i dont get what im doing wrong lol i sanded it to remove all the old glue wiped it down with alcohol laid out the epoxy and they still fall off im tempted to go race car and toss the doorpanels in the garage

Sent from the future

well if it s still savable try contact cement. the kind you brush on. that should definitely work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online